Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 10-04-2022, 06:12 AM   #11
Shostak

Default Re: Talent/Spell of the Week: Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaulB View Post
I suggest a sub-talent.

IQ 12 Talent
Learned:(2): Can research and teach. Knows a good deal about history and about customs of various races and peoples, and can (on a 4-die roll vs IQ) make a very good guess about the origin of most artifacts or objects. Prerequisite: Literacy.

Someone that is Learned (LER-ned) does not have the diploma from a university that gives them the respect in all civilized areas. They also might not recognize any languages seen.
Given the precedent set by talents like Priest/Theologian, Physicker/Master Physicker, Locksmith/Master Locksmith, etc., it is curious that a talent like Scholar is not tiered (especially given the example provided by real-world academic hierarchy).
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 02:11 PM   #12
pzmcgwire

Mathematician is another talent that seems to beg for a higher level, since its description is math below calculus. However what in-game use of a Master Mathematician would there be in the typical quasi-medieval TFT milieu?

Interesting that wizards can easily be accountants and mathematicians but have to work harder to be lawyers. and lawyer is only IQ8.

Wouldn't there be some synergy between magic and law?

Last edited by pzmcgwire; 10-04-2022 at 03:03 PM.
pzmcgwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 04:08 PM   #13
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
If I had a player interested in a Wizard Scholar (or if I wanted an NPC with that combination), I'd write a variant of the current Scholar talent. Advantages would be in the identification and history of magical items, knowledge of the magical races, the cultures of magic throughout the world. I'd probably give the same linguistic advantages for at least the magic-using races. I'd give the same +1 reaction roll because I have a certain interest in believing that well-educated people are respected, and to hell with all the contrary evidence.

So, a wizard wanting the stock Scholar talent would pay the wizard tax, while one wanting a somewhat differently focused Scholar talent would not.
Something like this old idea I had for a wizardly scholar talent?
Illumined Scholar (3) This talent very similar to Scholar, but focuses somewhat more on the arcane, the occult, and religion than on the mundane (“Emperess Niharis III was most notable, not for her solidification of the K’hulp’het Dynasty, but for raising Shek-Baroopath the Lame to the office of High Priest.”); standard Scholars might be skeptical of an Illumined Scholar’s interpretations of history and current affairs.
Old 10-04-2022, 04:14 PM   #14
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzmcgwire View Post
Mathematician is another talent that seems to beg for a higher level, since its description is math below calculus. However what in-game use of a Master Mathematician would there be in the typical quasi-medieval TFT milieu?

Interesting that wizards can easily be accountants and mathematicians but have to work harder to be lawyers. and lawyer is only IQ8.
We’ll have to give Mathematician its own thread sometime.
Quote:
Wouldn't there be some synergy between magic and law?
I don’t know that common and criminal law and the Laws of Thaumadynamics would have much to do with each other, but if mathematics is related to magic, you would think physics would be. The relation between mundane law and magic would probably be the proscription of certain spells in specific jurisdictions.
Old 10-04-2022, 07:27 PM   #15
phiwum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Illumined Scholar (3) This talent very similar to Scholar, but focuses somewhat more on the arcane, the occult, and religion than on the mundane (“Emperess Niharis III was most notable, not for her solidification of the K’hulp’het Dynasty, but for raising Shek-Baroopath the Lame to the office of High Priest.”); standard Scholars might be skeptical of an Illumined Scholar’s interpretations of history and current affairs.
I have a player who would certainly abuse such a talent, but yes, that's what I had in mind.
phiwum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 08:29 AM   #16
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
So, this would cost 3 IQ points for a Wizard?

What IQ Level would be required? Perhaps, 13 to 15. Thus, keeping it in reach of a beginning or near beginning wizard that takes the low ST brainiac path?
Bill_in_IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 09:14 AM   #17
Shostak

Same as Scholar: IQ 13. It is essentially the same as Scholar, but requires the player to roleplay the differences that emphasize the occult/thaumatological spin on history, language, etc. And it only costs the wizard 3 points (plus 1 for Literacy).
Old 10-05-2022, 10:10 AM   #18
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Same as Scholar: IQ 13. It is essentially the same as Scholar, but requires the player to roleplay the differences that emphasize the occult/thaumatological spin on history, language, etc. And it only costs the wizard 3 points (plus 1 for Literacy).
Makes sense.

I wonder how such a talent would be abused?
Old 10-05-2022, 10:29 AM   #19
phiwum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_in_IN View Post
Makes sense.

I wonder how such a talent would be abused?
Oh, I was just fooling. What I had in mind was the kind of player who makes stuff up on the fly, says he knows it because he's a scholar and the pliant GM just accepts it.

But, then, that's really up to the GM. Usually, it leads to interesting consequences, truth be told.
phiwum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 10:38 AM   #20
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Oh, I was just fooling. What I had in mind was the kind of player who makes stuff up on the fly, says he knows it because he's a scholar and the pliant GM just accepts it.

But, then, that's really up to the GM. Usually, it leads to interesting consequences, truth be told.
The players should always be in 'careful for what you wish' mode.

However, much of that banter could be mitigated if it is stated up front what kinds of advantages it provides other than just knowing more about such stuff which is wide open to interpretation.

It would be nice if it were to provide a slight advantage with respect to researching magical items/spells. Or, if it would reduce the IQ difference for casting spells by 1 or 2. If not stated up front, in my opinion, abuses and arguments are more likely. I have seen many abuses caused by lack of specifications in my line of work.

Tags
character building, niche, non-combat, professions, social