Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 11-18-2021, 11:23 AM   #21
Hrafnagudh

Default Re: A Bestiary Approaches for Nordlond and the DFRPG

Got the starter one while waiting for my boxed Dungeon Fantasy to arrive (hopefully, soon :'( )
Hrafnagudh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 07:26 AM   #22
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Bestiary Progress:

This week was launch week for the Bestiary, and true to my word, we went live yesterday. As I type this, the Nordlond Bestiary and Enemies Book sits at just over $20,000 raised, with $14,000 more to go. So we had a great first day, but are still looking at picking up nearly 200 backers to fund, and 650 more to hit all the stretch goals.

Is this doable? It really ought to be. My own projects have varied between 420 and 600 backers for Dungeon Fantasy RPG projects; SJGames’ from a low of about 550 (DF Companion 2) to a high of 1,600 (the Boxed Set), with the Monsters 2 book sitting at over 1,000. The Nordlond Bestiary is “like Monsters, but more so.” I’m hopeful.

As part of the launch-day run-up, I was on two shows

Talking Crit with Erik Tenkar and Bad Mike. This has a primarily OSR/D&D audience, but they have always dug my works, they recognize that I’m one of the better planners for Kickstarters, and they value my insight and commentary after running over a dozen projects successfully.

SJGames Live with Hunter Shelburne. This discussion was pretty focused on the Dungeon Fantasy RPG. Lots of previews and screen shares.
Where can you find out more about the project, or make comments?
• The Kickstarter page, of course.
• Gaming Ballistic’s Blog
• The GB Discord channel
• Threads in the SJGames Forums, including the DFRPG (you're already here) and GURPS forums
• Reddit has threads on r/GURPS and r/RPG. That second one was started by a fan, so it is a better place for people to comment than those started by the publisher.
• Same deal with this thread on RPG.net, which has already gathered some commentary.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 09:22 AM   #23
SolemnGolem

I threw in for the KS at $65, the level needed to get a hardcopy version of the book.

I have a hard copy of Characters and another of Campaigns. With the addition of a handsome Ovinarbokin Bestiary on my shelf, I shall have completed the trifecta with a Monstrous Manual equivalent!
SolemnGolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 09:58 AM   #24
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolemnGolem View Post
I threw in for the KS at $65, the level needed to get a hardcopy version of the book.

I have a hard copy of Characters and another of Campaigns. With the addition of a handsome Ovinarbokin Bestiary on my shelf, I shall have completed the trifecta with a Monstrous Manual equivalent!
Pretty much. Most of my day for the next several weeks will be attacking the nitty gritty of monster writeups.

Periodically, like every few days during the campaign, I'll tease a completed sheet in the Updates.

Right now, and it's very early of course, BiggerCake things we'll hit about $62,000, which is pretty darn close to the 240-page mark at $66K. To get 240 pages, we'll need to attract another 610 backers to jump on board.

That is ... a lot. It's not an impossible amount, especially for a bestiary: The Monsters 2 campaign had 1,016. But we will need to attract 10 more people than the largest total I have ever attracted to a Dungeon Fantasy RPG campaign (600 for Citadel at Nordvorn).

That means I need the assistance of folks to increase the reach of the message. Retweeting, sharing, commenting on some of the threads that already exist (I have a breakdown of them in this update here), and - even better - taking news of the campaign to your Favorite Local Game store.

In particular, the "well-supported system in a box" pledge level. it doesn't take much - one game store per state at that level - to crush the funding goal and put the campaign into a range where the full-sized book is nearly certain.

I'll be doing my part, but folks hear so much from creators, that they deep-six the information almost as soon as it's received. A customer asking for a pre-order is a guaranteed sale for them, which is obviously attractive.

In any case: I really hope we can inspire enough folks to jump on. It's going to be a very full, very pretty book, useful in most fantasy campaigns, even if the fluff text has a Nordlond bias.
Old 11-20-2021, 10:54 AM   #25
DouglasCole

Steve and I got very excited this morning chatting about the first day of the Nordlond Bestiary for the Dungeon Fantasy RPG. He's been nudging me about considering a TFT version of this project - and other Nordlond material - periodically. When we got to talking, he asked about making a conversion of the Bestiary a stretch goal. I thought about it, and yeah, it's doable.

The questions then became "how" and "how much?"

So here's the deal:

PDF Unlocks at $73,000

If we hit this stretch goal, I will do the work to convert the Nordlond material into creatures compatible with The Fantasy Trip.

This is not a matter of a simple copy and paste:
  • No double-statting. This cheapens both products, and for reasons listed below, really can't work. There's not enough space to stick a solid TFT statblock on most of the GURPS pages, and it dilutes the purpose, focus, and quality of both products.
  • A Distinct Product. That means it'll be a new book, with a fresh cover, done in 8.5x11" format. It will probably have 2-4 monsters per page, using black and white conversions of the art we develop for the Dungeon Fantasy RPG book. Production values and feel will be consistent with other TFT books by Gaming Ballistic. As it only gets made if we pass the $66K stretch goal...it will have all the monsters. I'd guess 96-112 pages.
  • ITL Compliant. The cosmology Nordlond and Cidri are completely different, mostly because in Nordlond, the gods are real and immanent. Every creature needs to be looked at to ensure compatibility with ITL/Cidri in mind. This probably means a few other things can and will be tweaked, making the TFT version of Nordlond a unique place with some similar geography and cultural basis, but still very different.

Who Gets It?
The goal unlocks the PDF. Everyone who pledges at least $15 gets a copy "for free." That means all current backers at the PDF or higher level would receive it as a download. So would folks who selected the "Follow the Campaign/Custom Pledge" level and pledged $15 or more. If we get to the $73K stretch goal, I'm pleased to just add this to those pledges.

What about that Hardback?

With the PDF done, the physical orders for TFT hardback books and TFT Decks of Destiny profile card decks will go into a separate Backerkit phase, so that it's easier to keep the two products apart. I've got a few ideas how to handle this smoothly, some of which may require moving a zero-cost item into a cart, or answering a survey question.

We'll also look into the shipping and production situation at that time, which is another good reason to space out the manufacture and fulfillment of TFT books from the Dungeon Fantasy RPG fulfillment.

But the nice thing is: there's no "funding" of these items. Much like Tower of the Moon, it'll be done and ready to go to print. At that point, it'd just be a question of "how many, and to whom?"

If there are any questions, I'll try and answer them!

If you are only interested in supporting the TFT Bestiary, throwing in $15 at the "Follow the Campaign/Custom Backerkit" level will get you the TFT Bestiary PDF. It will ALSO get you $15 in credit to spend in Backerkit at the end of the campaign, and all of my TFT stuff will be on sale there too.
Old 11-20-2021, 02:59 PM   #26
Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
That means I need the assistance of folks to increase the reach of the message. Retweeting, sharing, commenting on some of the threads that already exist (I have a breakdown of them in this update here), and - even better - taking news of the campaign to your Favorite Local Game store.
It should appear here https://teylen.blog/2021/11/16/crowd...ArIpxCvkbmFfXE but you can let Teylen know to make sure - that blog then shows up in a lot of places (Facebook groups, other blogs linking, search engines, people following it, etc.).
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 11:58 PM   #27
Refplace

Quote:
Steve and I got very excited this morning chatting about the first day of the Nordlond Bestiary for the Dungeon Fantasy RPG. He's been nudging me about considering a TFT version of this project - and other Nordlond material - periodically. When we got to talking, he asked about making a conversion of the Bestiary a stretch goal. I thought about it, and yeah, it's doable.
Hmmph, didn't I suggest something to you like that on Discord?
My most recent idea which I didnt get around to telling you (dreamed it up in bed) was to create TFT card versions. I thought that would be easier for you to do and a nice add-on.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 11:59 AM   #28
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Hmmph, didn't I suggest something to you like that on Discord?
My most recent idea which I didnt get around to telling you (dreamed it up in bed) was to create TFT card versions. I thought that would be easier for you to do and a nice add-on.
Read the update more closely: Cards are a given if we hit the $73K goal.

I have to look hard at pricing; the cards are expensive and the natural price points would make a large card deck actually more expensive than the book, which is odd but true given hardback scaling, etc.

Probably means dropping the price on cards a bit, but in any case: If we hit the goal, both cards and TFT hardback will be on offer down the road.
Old 11-21-2021, 04:54 PM   #29
DouglasCole

If you're wondering what monsters are going into the Norđlondr Bestiary and Enemies book, I've listed them in the latest update.

Update #9: So...What's REALLY in the Book?
Old 11-22-2021, 01:25 PM   #30
Pmandrekar
Careful Wisher

Quote:
If you're wondering what monsters are going into the Norđlondr Bestiary and Enemies book, I've listed them in the latest update.

Update #9: So...What's REALLY in the Book?
My hope is that the GURPS community finds your Kickstarter and boosts this to the 240-page level! Best of luck, Doug!
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts"- Daniel P. Moynihan
Pmandrekar is offline   Reply With Quote