Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2022, 06:26 AM   #1
DreadDomain
 
DreadDomain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default A Character keeps crashing GCA and other requests

My main question here is what do I do if a character keeps crashing GCA (beyond starting it from scratch)?

A bit of context:

I have been building Iron Man with a mix of Ultra-Tech and Powers and things have been running quite smoothly (over many days). The character is about 95% complete, both the spring bandit sheets and the official sheets are setup and I am now thinking of tweaking further. I click on an ability (don't know which one) and GCA crashes.

I start it again, can open another character I have done, can create a new character but everytime I try to open Iron Man, it crashes. What do I need to do to save my work? I have taken a screenshot of the crash message.

Side questions:

1) Is there a variant/option to limit the per die bonus of some abilities? I believe an optional rule (I can't find in which book it was now) is to limit the +1 per die bonus at +7 and the +2 per die bonus at +14.
2) Is there a way to change swing damage to just being thr+2?

Cheers!
DreadDomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 09:55 AM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime
 
Armin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Default Re: A Character keeps crashing GCA and other requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadDomain View Post
My main question here is what do I do if a character keeps crashing GCA (beyond starting it from scratch)?

A bit of context:

I have been building Iron Man with a mix of Ultra-Tech and Powers and things have been running quite smoothly (over many days). The character is about 95% complete, both the spring bandit sheets and the official sheets are setup and I am now thinking of tweaking further. I click on an ability (don't know which one) and GCA crashes.

I start it again, can open another character I have done, can create a new character but everytime I try to open Iron Man, it crashes. What do I need to do to save my work? I have taken a screenshot of the crash message.
Sounds like you may have entered some kind of data that's invalid but isn't trapped for yet and therefore crashes GCA. Or maybe there's bad data in a book file that got added to the character, and that now crashes things. Either way, that can be hard to figure out.

Email the character to me at gca5@misersoft.com and I will do my best to figure out what the problem is and get it back to you in working order. And maybe add a way to trap for the problem in GCA so it doesn't happen in the future.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadDomain View Post
Side questions:

1) Is there a variant/option to limit the per die bonus of some abilities? I believe an optional rule (I can't find in which book it was now) is to limit the +1 per die bonus at +7 and the +2 per die bonus at +14.
2) Is there a way to change swing damage to just being thr+2?
1) I'm not familiar with that, so no, there's no built in way. It might need to be built into the way they grant bonuses. For example, the way Weapon Master's damage bonus is constructed could include a maximum value of some kind, but doesn't.

2) You'd need to create a data file with the custom [BASICDAMAGE] rules. Someone may have done that already, but I don't seem to have a Variant file for it, so I'm not sure. (I should probably just make one and include it.)
__________________
Armin D. Sykes | Visit my GCA5 blog for updates and previews. | Get GURPS Character Assistant 5 now at Warehouse 23.
Armin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 10:36 AM   #3
Armin
GCA Prime
 
Armin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Default Re: A Character keeps crashing GCA and other requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
2) You'd need to create a data file with the custom [BASICDAMAGE] rules. Someone may have done that already, but I don't seem to have a Variant file for it, so I'm not sure. (I should probably just make one and include it.)
Question: I'm not sure I've ever read where the idea of this progression comes from. Does it continue to use Xd+1 = Yd-1 and Xd+2 = Yd? or does it eschew that to use Xd+1 = Yd+3 and Xd+2 = Yd+4?

If the first, how does this look?

Code:
[BASICDAMAGE]
*******************************************************************************************************\[START]
//   Starting this section will clear any existing 
//   basic damage items.
//  
//   You must list the following items in order, because
//   GCA will not sort them, but it does search through
//   them in order.
//  
//   st() is the score that Damage Base must be <= 
//   thr() is the basic thrust damage
//   sw() is the basic swing damage

st(1), thr(1d-6), sw(1d-4)
st(2), thr(1d-6), sw(1d-4)
st(3), thr(1d-5), sw(1d-3)
st(4), thr(1d-5), sw(1d-3)
st(5), thr(1d-4), sw(1d-2)

st(6), thr(1d-4), sw(1d-2)
st(7), thr(1d-3), sw(1d-1)
st(8), thr(1d-3), sw(1d-1)
st(9), thr(1d-2), sw(1d)
st(10), thr(1d-2), sw(1d)

st(11), thr(1d-1), sw(1d+1)
st(12), thr(1d-1), sw(1d+1)
st(13), thr(1d), sw(1d+2)
st(14), thr(1d), sw(1d+2)
st(15), thr(1d+1), sw(2d-1)

st(16), thr(1d+1), sw(2d-1)
st(17), thr(1d+2), sw(2d)
st(18), thr(1d+2), sw(2d)
st(19), thr(2d-1), sw(2d+1)
st(20), thr(2d-1), sw(2d+1)

st(21), thr(2d), sw(2d+2)
st(22), thr(2d), sw(2d+2)
st(23), thr(2d+1), sw(3d-1)
st(24), thr(2d+1), sw(3d-1)
st(25), thr(2d+2), sw(3d)

st(26), thr(2d+2), sw(3d)
st(27), thr(3d-1), sw(3d+1)
st(28), thr(3d-1), sw(3d+1)
st(29), thr(3d), sw(3d+2)
st(30), thr(3d), sw(3d+2)

st(31), thr(3d+1), sw(4d-1)
st(32), thr(3d+1), sw(4d-1)
st(33), thr(3d+2), sw(4d)
st(34), thr(3d+2), sw(4d)
st(35), thr(4d-1), sw(4d+1)

st(36), thr(4d-1), sw(4d+1)
st(37), thr(4d), sw(4d+2)
st(38), thr(4d), sw(4d+2)
st(39), thr(4d+1), sw(5d-1)

st(40), thr(4d+1), sw(5d-1)
st(45), thr(5d), sw(5d+2)
st(50), thr(5d+2), sw(6d)
st(55), thr(6d), sw(6d+2)
st(60), thr(7d-1), sw(7d+1)
st(65), thr(7d+1), sw(8d-1)
st(70), thr(8d), sw(8d+2)
st(75), thr(8d+2), sw(9d)
st(80), thr(9d), sw(9d+2)
st(85), thr(9d+2), sw(10d)
st(90), thr(10d), sw(10d+2)
st(95), thr(10d+2), sw(11d)

st(100), thr(11d), sw(11d+2)

//   The LAST item in the list is always the item that is to be used
//   for anything that didn't fall under the preceding items.

st(0), thr((@int(ST:Striking ST/10)+1)d), sw((@int(ST:Striking ST/10)+1)d+2)

//   you must use the extra set of parens to separate the math part
//   from the 'd' for the dice.
If that's right, I've now got a Variant file for it that I can include in future updates.
__________________
Armin D. Sykes | Visit my GCA5 blog for updates and previews. | Get GURPS Character Assistant 5 now at Warehouse 23.
Armin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 05:29 PM   #4
DreadDomain
 
DreadDomain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: A Character keeps crashing GCA and other requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
Question: I'm not sure I've ever read where the idea of this progression comes from. Does it continue to use Xd+1 = Yd-1 and Xd+2 = Yd? or does it eschew that to use Xd+1 = Yd+3 and Xd+2 = Yd+4?

If the first, how does this look?

Code:
[BASICDAMAGE]
*******************************************************************************************************\[START]
//   Starting this section will clear any existing 
//   basic damage items.
//  
//   You must list the following items in order, because
//   GCA will not sort them, but it does search through
//   them in order.
//  
//   st() is the score that Damage Base must be <= 
//   thr() is the basic thrust damage
//   sw() is the basic swing damage

st(1), thr(1d-6), sw(1d-4)
st(2), thr(1d-6), sw(1d-4)
st(3), thr(1d-5), sw(1d-3)
st(4), thr(1d-5), sw(1d-3)
st(5), thr(1d-4), sw(1d-2)

st(6), thr(1d-4), sw(1d-2)
st(7), thr(1d-3), sw(1d-1)
st(8), thr(1d-3), sw(1d-1)
st(9), thr(1d-2), sw(1d)
st(10), thr(1d-2), sw(1d)

st(11), thr(1d-1), sw(1d+1)
st(12), thr(1d-1), sw(1d+1)
st(13), thr(1d), sw(1d+2)
st(14), thr(1d), sw(1d+2)
st(15), thr(1d+1), sw(2d-1)

st(16), thr(1d+1), sw(2d-1)
st(17), thr(1d+2), sw(2d)
st(18), thr(1d+2), sw(2d)
st(19), thr(2d-1), sw(2d+1)
st(20), thr(2d-1), sw(2d+1)

st(21), thr(2d), sw(2d+2)
st(22), thr(2d), sw(2d+2)
st(23), thr(2d+1), sw(3d-1)
st(24), thr(2d+1), sw(3d-1)
st(25), thr(2d+2), sw(3d)

st(26), thr(2d+2), sw(3d)
st(27), thr(3d-1), sw(3d+1)
st(28), thr(3d-1), sw(3d+1)
st(29), thr(3d), sw(3d+2)
st(30), thr(3d), sw(3d+2)

st(31), thr(3d+1), sw(4d-1)
st(32), thr(3d+1), sw(4d-1)
st(33), thr(3d+2), sw(4d)
st(34), thr(3d+2), sw(4d)
st(35), thr(4d-1), sw(4d+1)

st(36), thr(4d-1), sw(4d+1)
st(37), thr(4d), sw(4d+2)
st(38), thr(4d), sw(4d+2)
st(39), thr(4d+1), sw(5d-1)

st(40), thr(4d+1), sw(5d-1)
st(45), thr(5d), sw(5d+2)
st(50), thr(5d+2), sw(6d)
st(55), thr(6d), sw(6d+2)
st(60), thr(7d-1), sw(7d+1)
st(65), thr(7d+1), sw(8d-1)
st(70), thr(8d), sw(8d+2)
st(75), thr(8d+2), sw(9d)
st(80), thr(9d), sw(9d+2)
st(85), thr(9d+2), sw(10d)
st(90), thr(10d), sw(10d+2)
st(95), thr(10d+2), sw(11d)

st(100), thr(11d), sw(11d+2)

//   The LAST item in the list is always the item that is to be used
//   for anything that didn't fall under the preceding items.

st(0), thr((@int(ST:Striking ST/10)+1)d), sw((@int(ST:Striking ST/10)+1)d+2)

//   you must use the extra set of parens to separate the math part
//   from the 'd' for the dice.
If that's right, I've now got a Variant file for it that I can include in future updates.
The variant appeared in the "Knowing your own Strength" rule in Pyramid 3/83. The table is on page 17. Your code above seems to be spot on. Thank you very much

It brings two more questions.

1) Would it be possible to fill the gaps in the damage table (not only this one but the standard one as well). The progression in GCA strictly follows the damage table in the Basic Set (damage increase every +1 ST up to 40, then every +5 ST up to 100, then every +10 ST). Rightly or wrongly, I always inferred that the table was a short hand but the progression was continuous and therefore ST 63 would provide thr 7d, Sw 9d+1. I think (I could be wrong) it should be the base case and not a variant. Otherwise, I guess I could create a data file for it based on your example above.

2) Looking at your code above, it made realize I could create a variant to follow the KYOS damage table but I am wondering how to create a variant to change the Basic Lift progression.
DreadDomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 05:53 PM   #5
DreadDomain
 
DreadDomain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: A Character keeps crashing GCA and other requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
Sounds like you may have entered some kind of data that's invalid but isn't trapped for yet and therefore crashes GCA. Or maybe there's bad data in a book file that got added to the character, and that now crashes things. Either way, that can be hard to figure out.

Email the character to me at gca5@misersoft.com and I will do my best to figure out what the problem is and get it back to you in working order. And maybe add a way to trap for the problem in GCA so it doesn't happen in the future.
Thanks, I sent the file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
1) I'm not familiar with that, so no, there's no built in way. It might need to be built into the way they grant bonuses. For example, the way Weapon Master's damage bonus is constructed could include a maximum value of some kind, but doesn't.
I finally found where it comes from. Pyramid 3/34 p.24 Extreme Damage.

"... the per-die damage bonuses for Brawling (+1/die) and Karate [and Boxing] (+2/die) can be overpowering. To mitigate this, consider capping them at +7 for Brawling or +14 for Karate [and Boxing]."

While I am not using extreme damage, I find this useful in a super game to call +1/die and +2/die bonuses at +7 and +14.
DreadDomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 07:17 PM   #6
Armin
GCA Prime
 
Armin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Default Re: A Character keeps crashing GCA and other requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadDomain View Post
1) Would it be possible to fill the gaps in the damage table (not only this one but the standard one as well). The progression in GCA strictly follows the damage table in the Basic Set (damage increase every +1 ST up to 40, then every +5 ST up to 100, then every +10 ST). Rightly or wrongly, I always inferred that the table was a short hand but the progression was continuous and therefore ST 63 would provide thr 7d, Sw 9d+1. I think (I could be wrong) it should be the base case and not a variant. Otherwise, I guess I could create a data file for it based on your example above.
I try to recreate what's actually RAW as best I can. If it doesn't say it, I try not to assume anything other than what's there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadDomain View Post
The variant appeared in the "Knowing your own Strength" rule in Pyramid 3/83. The table is on page 17. Your code above seems to be spot on. Thank you very much

2) Looking at your code above, it made realize I could create a variant to follow the KYOS damage table but I am wondering how to create a variant to change the Basic Lift progression.

Well, shucks, KYOS is 3/38? I don't have that issue, but I have helped tons of folks with KYOS over the years, and I kept thinking that nobody ever sent me a file back to include! But I was just poking around in my folders, and found *two* possibilities, one of which even references Pyramid 3/83.

They seem to have similar damage tables to start with, but the two files aren't the same over all. So I'm not sure that I can actually include either one with GCA until I have a better idea of which of them is correct, or which parts of each are needed to make a correct whole.

I'll paste them in following messages, for folks to peep.
__________________
Armin D. Sykes | Visit my GCA5 blog for updates and previews. | Get GURPS Character Assistant 5 now at Warehouse 23.
Armin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 07:17 PM   #7
Armin
GCA Prime
 
Armin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Default Re: A Character keeps crashing GCA and other requests

Variant - Revised Strength Table.GDF:

Code:
Version=3
* The version information above MUST be the first line of the data file
Description=User created data file containing custom traits saved from within GCA.
Program=4.0.320
Incomplete=Yes
Requires="GURPS Basic Set 4th Ed.--Characters.gdf"
LoadAfter="GURPS Basic Set 4th Ed.--Characters.gdf"

[AUTHOR]
************************************************************************************************************************
*
* GURPS(R) Character Assistant Data File
* Created: 21-09-2015
* Requires GCA v4 or later!
* Created by Pierre Waldfried
* This data file contains information taken from Pyramid 3 #83 Alternate GURPS IV
*
************************************************************************************************************************

************************************************************************************************************************
[BASICDAMAGE]
************************************************************************************************************************

* Starting this section will clear any existing 
* basic damage items.
*
* You must list the following items in order, because
* GCA will not sort them, but it does search through
* them in order.
*
* st() is the score that Damage Base must be <= 
* thr() is the basic thrust damage
* sw() is the basic swing damage

st(1), thr(1d-11), sw(1d-9)
st(2), thr(1d-10), sw(1d-8)
st(3), thr(1d-9), sw(1d-7)
st(4), thr(1d-8), sw(1d-6)
st(5), thr(1d-7), sw(1d-5)

st(6), thr(1d-6), sw(1d-4)
st(7), thr(1d-5), sw(1d-3)
st(8), thr(1d-4), sw(1d-2)
st(9), thr(1d-3), sw(1d-1)
st(10), thr(1d-2), sw(1d)

st(11), thr(1d-1), sw(1d+1)
st(12), thr(1d), sw(1d+2)
st(13), thr(1d+1), sw(2d-1)
st(14), thr(1d+2), sw(2d)
st(15), thr(2d-1), sw(2d+1)

st(16), thr(2d), sw(2d+2)
st(17), thr(2d+1), sw(3d-1)
st(18), thr(2d+2), sw(3d)
st(19), thr(3d-1), sw(3d+1)
st(20), thr(3d), sw(3d+2)

st(21), thr(3d+1), sw(4d-1)
st(22), thr(3d+2), sw(4d)
st(23), thr(4d-1), sw(4d+1)
st(24), thr(4d), sw(4d+2)
st(25), thr(4d+1), sw(5d-1)

st(26), thr(4d+2), sw(5d)
st(27), thr(5d-1), sw(5d+1)
st(28), thr(5d-1), sw(5d+1)
st(29), thr(5d), sw(5d+2)
st(30), thr(5d), sw(5d+2)

st(31), thr(5d+1), sw(6d-1)
st(32), thr(5d+1), sw(6d-1)
st(33), thr(5d+2), sw(6d)
st(34), thr(5d+2), sw(6d)
st(35), thr(6d-1), sw(6d+1)

st(36), thr(6d-1), sw(6d+1)
st(37), thr(6d), sw(6d+2)
st(38), thr(6d), sw(6d+2)
st(39), thr(6d+1), sw(7d-1)

st(40), thr(6d+1), sw(7d-1)
st(45), thr(7d-1), sw(7d+1)
st(50), thr(7d+2), sw(8d-1)
st(55), thr(8d-1), sw(8d+1)
st(60), thr(8d+2), sw(9d)
st(65), thr(9d), sw(9d+2)
st(70), thr(9d+2), sw(10d)
st(75), thr(10d), sw(10d+2)
st(80), thr(10d+2), sw(11d)
st(85), thr(11d), sw(11d+2)
st(90), thr(11d+2), sw(12d)
st(95), thr(12d), sw(12d+2)

st(100), thr(12d+2), sw(13d)

* The LAST item in the list is always the item that is to be used
* for anything that didn't fall under the preceding items.

st(0), thr((@int("ST:Striking ST"/10)+2)d+2), sw((@int("ST:Striking ST"/10)+3)d)

* you must use the extra set of parens to separate the math part
* from the 'd' for the dice.

[ATTRIBUTES]
* Basic Attributes
************************************************************************************************************************
#Delete "ST:ST"

ST, symbol(ST), basevalue(10), step(1), maxscore(1000000), minscore(0 - me::syslevels), 
	up(10), down(-10), mainwin(1), mods(), 
	disadat(-1), display(no)


* Secondary Characteristics
************************************************************************************************************************
#Delete "ST:Basic Lift"
#Delete "ST:Hit Points"
#Delete "ST:Striking ST"
#Delete "ST:Lifting ST"

Basic Lift, basevalue(@int(@if(ST:Metric = 1 THEN 1 ELSE 2))* @power(10 , ST:Lifting ST/10)), maxscore(1000000), minscore(0), symbol(BL), round(@if(ST:Lifting ST::score <= 7 then 0 else 1))
Hit Points, basevalue(ST:ST), step(1), maxscore(1000000), minscore(0 - me::syslevels), 
	up(2), down(-2), symbol(HP), mods(), mainwin(5),
	display(no), disadat(-1)
Striking ST, basevalue(ST:ST), step(1), maxscore(1000000), minscore(ST:ST), up(1), down(0), round(-1), display(No)
Lifting ST, basevalue(ST:ST), step(1), maxscore(1000000), minscore(ST:ST), up(7), down(0), round(-1), display(No)

[ADVANTAGES]
************************************************************************************************************************
#Delete "AD:Striking ST"
#Delete "AD:Lifting ST"

Striking ST, 1/2, gives(+1 to ST:Striking ST), mods(Striking ST), page(B89), cat(Exotic, Physical), conditional(+1 to ST:ST)
Lifting ST, 7/14, gives(+1 to ST:Lifting ST), conditional(+1 to ST:ST), mods(Lifting ST), page(B65), cat(Exotic, Physical)
__________________
Armin D. Sykes | Visit my GCA5 blog for updates and previews. | Get GURPS Character Assistant 5 now at Warehouse 23.
Armin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 07:18 PM   #8
Armin
GCA Prime
 
Armin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Default Re: A Character keeps crashing GCA and other requests

LogST.gdf:

Code:
[Settings]

[BASICDAMAGE]
st(1), thr(1d-11), sw(1d-9)
st(2), thr(1d-10), sw(1d-8)
st(3), thr(1d-9), sw(1d-7)
st(4), thr(1d-8), sw(1d-6)
st(5), thr(1d-7), sw(1d-5)
st(6), thr(1d-6), sw(1d-4)
st(7), thr(1d-5), sw(1d-3)
st(8), thr(1d-4), sw(1d-2)
st(9), thr(1d-3), sw(1d-1)
st(10), thr(1d-2), sw(1d)
st(11), thr(1d-1), sw(1d+1)
st(12), thr(1d), sw(1d+2)
st(13), thr(1d+1), sw(2d-1)
st(14), thr(1d+2), sw(2d)
st(15), thr(2d-1), sw(2d+1)
st(16), thr(2d), sw(2d+2)
st(17), thr(2d+1), sw(3d-1)
st(18), thr(2d+2), sw(3d)
st(19), thr(3d-1), sw(3d+1)
st(20), thr(3d), sw(3d+2)

st(0), thr((((ST:Damage Base-3) \ 4) - 1)d(+@indexedvalue(@modulo(ST:Damage Base-3,4)+1, -1, 0, +1, +2))), sw((((ST:Damage Base-1) \ 4) - 1)d(+@indexedvalue(@modulo(ST:Damage Base-1,4)+1, -1, 0, +1, +2)))

[ATTRIBUTES]
ST, symbol(ST), basevalue(10), step(1), maxscore(1000000), minscore(0 - me::syslevels), 
	up(10), down(-10), mainwin(1), disadat(-1), display(no)

Basic Lift, basevalue(@int(2 * 10 ^ (ST:Lifting ST / 10))), maxscore (1000000), minscore(0), symbol(BL), roundup(@if(ST:Lifting ST::score <= 7 then 0 else 1))

Hit Points, basevalue(ST:ST), step(1), maxscore(1000000), minscore(0 - me::syslevels), 
	up(2), down(-2), symbol(HP), mainwin(5), display(no), disadat(-1)

Striking ST, basevalue(ST:ST), step(1), maxscore(1000000), minscore(ST:ST), up(1), down(0), round(-1), display(No)

Lifting ST, basevalue(ST:ST), step(1), maxscore(1000000), minscore(ST:ST), up(7), down(0), round(-1), display(No)

TK ST, basevalue(0), maxscore(1000000), minscore(0), hide(yes), display(no)
TK Basic Lift, basevalue(@int(2 * 10 ^ (ST:TK ST / 10))), maxscore(1000000), minscore(0), symbol(TK BL), roundup(@if(ST:TK ST::score <= 7 then 0 else 1)), hide(yes), display(no)

[ADVANTAGES]
Extra ST, 10/20, page(B14), mods(Extra ST), initmods(Affects displayed ST score, +0%, shortname(Affects ST), gives(+Owner::Level to ST:ST), group(Extra ST), description(This modifier causes the Extra ST advantage to affect the displayed attribute score. If you don't wish this advantage to affect the displayed score remove this modifier.)),
	description(The Extra ST advantage allows you to take extra levels of the attribute which you can then apply enhancements and limitations to. The "Affects displayed score" modifier causes the Extra ST advantage to affect the displayed attribute score. If you don't wish this advantage to affect the displayed score remove that modifier.)
	
Extra Hit Points, 2/4, page(B16), mods(Extra Hit Points), initmods(Affects displayed HP score, +0%, shortname(Affects HP), gives(+Owner::Level to ST:Hit Points), group(Extra Hit Points), description(This modifier causes the Extra Hit Points advantage to affect the displayed attribute score. If you don't wish this advantage to affect the displayed score remove this modifier.)),
	description(The Extra Hit Points advantage allows you to take extra levels of the attribute which you can then apply enhancements and limitations to. The "Affects displayed score" modifier causes the Extra Hit Points advantage to affect the displayed attribute score. If you don't wish this advantage to affect the displayed score remove that modifier.)	

Lifting ST, 7/14, gives(+1 to ST:Lifting ST), conditional(+1 to ST:ST), mods(Lifting ST), page(B65), cat(Exotic, Physical)

Striking ST, 1/2, gives(+1 to ST:Striking ST), mods(Striking ST), page(B89), cat(Exotic, Physical), conditional(+1 to ST:ST)

[DISADVANTAGES]
Reduced ST, -10/-20, page(B14), mods(Reduced ST), initmods(Affects displayed ST score, +0%, shortname(Affects ST), gives(-owner::Level to ST:ST), group(Reduced ST), description(This modifier causes the Reduced ST advantage to affect the displayed attribute score. If you don't wish this advantage to affect the displayed score remove this modifier.)),
	description(The Reduced ST disadvantage allows you to take reduced levels of the attribute which you can then apply enhancements and limitations to. The "Affects displayed score" modifier causes the Reduced ST advantage to affect the displayed attribute score. If you don't wish this advantage to affect the displayed score remove that modifier.)
	
Reduced Hit Points, -2/-4, page(B16), mods(Reduced Hit Points), initmods(Affects displayed HP score, +0%, shortname(Affects HP), gives(-owner::Level to ST:Hit Points), group(Reduced Hit Points), description(This modifier causes the Reduced Hit Points advantage to affect the displayed attribute score. If you don't wish this advantage to affect the displayed score remove this modifier.)),
	description(The Reduced Hit Points disadvantage allows you to take reduced levels of the attribute which you can then apply enhancements and limitations to. The "Affects displayed score" modifier causes the Reduced Hit Points advantage to affect the displayed attribute score. If you don't wish this advantage to affect the displayed score remove that modifier.)
	
[MODIFIERS]
<Size>
Size, -0%, formula(-@if(ST:Size Modifier > 0 THEN ST:Size Modifier * 10 else 0)), forceformula(yes), page(B15)

<Size HP>
Size, -0%, formula(-@if(ST:Size Modifier > 0 & ST:Hit Points::level > 0 THEN ST:Size Modifier * 10 else 0)), forceformula(yes), page(B15)

<Size ST>
Size, -0%, formula(-@if(ST:Size Modifier > 0 & ST:ST::level > 0 THEN ST:Size Modifier * 10 else 0)), forceformula(yes), page(B15)
__________________
Armin D. Sykes | Visit my GCA5 blog for updates and previews. | Get GURPS Character Assistant 5 now at Warehouse 23.
Armin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 07:32 PM   #9
Armin
GCA Prime
 
Armin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Default Re: A Character keeps crashing GCA and other requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadDomain View Post
Thanks, I sent the file.
I found the problem in GCA, and sent back the character with Damage Resistance excised, and instructions on how to avoid the crashiness until the next version of GCA gets released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadDomain View Post
I finally found where it comes from. Pyramid 3/34 p.24 Extreme Damage.

"... the per-die damage bonuses for Brawling (+1/die) and Karate [and Boxing] (+2/die) can be overpowering. To mitigate this, consider capping them at +7 for Brawling or +14 for Karate [and Boxing]."

While I am not using extreme damage, I find this useful in a super game to call +1/die and +2/die bonuses at +7 and +14.
Let me add it to my To Do list, and give it some thought. I may be able to implement a setting to turn that kind of capping on and off.

If you want to know how to cap it on existing traits right now, give me an example trait and the file it's in, and I'll show you what has to be done to implement a limit on it in the data itself. Basically it's probably just going to be wrapping an @max() function around the current function returning the dice to count.
__________________
Armin D. Sykes | Visit my GCA5 blog for updates and previews. | Get GURPS Character Assistant 5 now at Warehouse 23.
Armin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 08:05 PM   #10
DreadDomain
 
DreadDomain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: A Character keeps crashing GCA and other requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
I try to recreate what's actually RAW as best I can. If it doesn't say it, I try not to assume anything other than what's there.
Quite sensible and probably safer for sanity.

By the way, thanks for sending me back the character. It works now. Funnily enough Damage Resistance is something I wanted to rework anyway. As you may have guessed, by putting advantages in equipment and assigning them a $ and weight value, I was recreating the results of the Metatronics Generator.

I'll make sure not to include DR in a parent trait that is an equipment!

Last edited by DreadDomain; 08-14-2022 at 05:15 AM.
DreadDomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.