Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 08-12-2022, 12:50 PM   #1
PenitentDemon

Default Which sides this word belong to?

The word of "False confession of rape to shield a partner in adultery" its d efiniteely selfless but attached to something so evil.
PenitentDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 07:09 PM   #2
malloyd

Default Re: Which sides this word belong to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenitentDemon View Post
The word of "False confession of rape to shield a partner in adultery" its d efiniteely selfless but attached to something so evil.
Seems obviously hellish.

Given that it involves bearing false witness about your own adultery (even if you are claiming you engaged in a different almost as bad a sin) and covering up somebody else's, I see no chance it's a traditional divine word.

I'm not sure that actually provides a shield in most Abrahamic law codes either - it seems you are often guilty even if you were raped. There does seem to have been a bit of creep of modern ideas into Heaven lately, so that might not be stressed too hard, but still.
Old 08-12-2022, 09:30 PM   #3
fwcain
Evil Game Master For Hire

The proposed Word has too narrow an application, I'd say, to be of much use within the Symphony. Therefore, I don't see any Archangel submitting one of their angels for such a Word.

On the other hand, Hell does value quantity over quality, so if some demon wanted such a Word, well, let the buyer beware and all that. ;-)

Franklin
fwcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 09:53 PM   #4
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

•nod•

What malloyd and fwcain said.

There might be some Heavenly Words that would encompass the concept of "throw oneself on the metaphorical grenade to save someone else," but I don't think anything so narrow would be a Word on its own. And "Self-Sacrifice" is... It would possibly be a somewhat hard sell to the Seraphim Council. Sword or IIRC Cherubim of Flowers might go for it -- it's a selfless thing. But it's also got a self-destructive element that makes it likely to chew through its Word-holder(s).

The judge said, 'Son, what's your alibi?
If you were somewheres else, 'n you won't have to die.'
I spoke not a word, though it meant my life
For I'd been in the arms of my best friend's wife

Last edited by Archangel Beth; 08-12-2022 at 09:55 PM. Reason: had to add Long Black Veil quote, y'know?
Archangel Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 04:26 AM   #5
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Beth View Post
•nod•

What malloyd and fwcain said.

There might be some Heavenly Words that would encompass the concept of "throw oneself on the metaphorical grenade to save someone else," but I don't think anything so narrow would be a Word on its own. And "Self-Sacrifice" is...
I don't think self sacrifice is the core of the concept here.

The modernist philosophy that's been creeping into heaven might allow for a heavenly word connected to "mercy in application of punishment of sexual transgressions" that could cover some of the concept, though probably not in the service of Judgement that would be its most logical home. And some superiors might be willing to tolerate lying to [some] people to obtain a that mercy, but lying to actual injured parties, or at confession, are probably still out, and they aren't going to hand out a word for it.
Old 08-17-2022, 06:20 PM   #6
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

The other issue is that I don't think In Nomine sins (by default; consult your specific GM for exceptions; YMMV) are... quite traditional. E.g., whether adultery rises to the level of tipping someone more towards Fate than Destiny would be very individual. Lying about whether adultery was consensual or not would equally be an individual call whether it was a stain upon the soul that dragged someone a few words closer to Hell, or an honorable self-sacrificing act to "draw aggro" from someone else.

Yes, Heaven will hand out Words that are full of, shall we say, the need for a bit of fixing up -- but wow, a really narrow, focused mercy Word that is also full of situational honor/dishonor/destiny/fate... Ehhhhhhhh. I suppose an angel might be trying to convince their superior and/or Superior that it was a worthwhile concept to champion, but also, would the Angel of Mercy feel the same way enough to go, "Sure, I could use the help in this really narrow way"?

(Remember that Mercy works for Judgment, too.)

That's why I was going with the kind of Word that could encompass the idea (lie about something in order to shield one's partner in a bad idea, thereby taking on all the punishment, and/or an undue punishment) in a more conceivable-to-me way, which got to the overarching Self-Sacrifice. It's trying to take the damage -- and maybe even taking extra damage -- to spare someone else as much fallout as possible.

Meanwhile, to the other part of the original question... As stated: Lucifer will hand out Words for whatever whim suits him. If a Prince petitions, then hey, it could happen. (Probably Fate, who then sends the new Word-bound makin' friends with, say, Media, to promote the idea this thing might happen a lot, which could have some societal repercussions that are non-optimal.)
Old 08-17-2022, 07:46 PM   #7
fwcain
Evil Game Master For Hire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Beth View Post
...If a Prince petitions, then hey, it could happen. (Probably Fate, who then sends the new Word-bound makin' friends with, say, Media, to promote the idea this thing might happen a lot, which could have some societal repercussions that are non-optimal.)
Aaaaand now, my inner-Kobal is laughing too loud. Gee, thanks, Beth. ;-)

Franklin
fwcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 01:39 AM   #8
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

*sweeps a bow*