Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 05-12-2022, 07:51 AM   #1
Fred Brackin

Default Wanted: New Adventures

My group is in between campaigns right now and in a conversation with a fellow member last weekend I said that what I wanted for my next major gaming acquisition was "A large and well-developed adventure.".

A new game world is alright but is not the item of primary interest. A new system is not very interesting and would have to be simple (and for my personal preferences) not too indirect in its' mechanics. Nothing like Numenera where I can't figure out how much weight a character can carry.

I have the Gaming Ballistics releases so far and The Fantasy Trip stuff too and have dangled these in front of the group for only minor nibbles. The group did do alright in my 2 recent Gurps one-shots.

D&D5e probably would be simplest to get everyone to play but I'm not personally wedded to it.

We've done some medium-length Shadows of the Demon Lord and Symbaroum campaigns over the last couple of years to some lukewarm receptions.

I've played CoC when somebody else runs it but it wouldn't be my personal choice.

We seem to end up being pirates a lot but might need a break from that for a while. Arrr!

Space/futuristic games and modern-ish things would be fine.

So, in with those things understood what "large and well-developed adventures" would you recommend?
Old 05-12-2022, 08:09 AM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Wanted: New Adventures

I take it these don't count?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 08:17 AM   #3
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I take it these don't count?
Ah, more one-shots. I might need them. I could probably even take The Siren's Citadel and have another pirate one-shot. :)

What i'm looking for though is something to base a an extended campaign on.
Old 05-12-2022, 02:46 PM   #4
DeadParrot

Paizo has many 1-20 'Adventure Path' for Pathfinder. While most are for Pathfinder 1, aka D&D 3.75, should be possible to keep the basic story and swap to whatever system you and your group prefer. I think they have similar for Pathfinder 2.

If you can find a reasonable priced one, the World's Largest Dungeon should keep any group hacking for a long time.
https://www.amazon.com/Largest-Dunge.../dp/1594720290
There is a PDF version on Drivethrurpg for $40. Down side to WLD is it was printed in the D&D 3.0 era so you might need to do a conversion to system of choice. There is a companion book titled "World's Largest City". It is less a campaign and more a setting book.
DeadParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 06:04 PM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

I can't recommend The World's Largest Dungeon, it's IMO everything not to do in a megadungeon.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 08:12 PM   #6
Fred Brackin

Oopsie! I knew I should have mentioned the group's long history with 3.5 and Pathfinder. :)

Seriously, there are some Paizo Paths we didn't do and going back is probably a possibility. One of my friends and I once discussed the possibility of even going back to 3.5 but limiting everyone to a single splat book.

Oh, and we took a shot at the World's Largest Dungeon too. I think we got frustrated after the second consecutive locked and trapped empty room.

Before anyone mentions it we've been to Undermountain as well.
Old 05-12-2022, 09:01 PM   #7
Shostak

Running a WWII game would never have crossed my mind until I heard Roger Bell West talk on his podcast, Improvised Radio Theatre with Dice, about his long-running Weird War II game coming to an end.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 11:37 AM   #8
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Running a WWII game would never have crossed my mind until I heard Roger Bell West talk on his podcast, Improvised Radio Theatre with Dice, about his long-running Weird War II game coming to an end.
More people should listen to that. :)

That said I think Fred is thinking of relatively conventional dungeon-adjacent adventuring, and while one obviously could run that in a WWII setting, I don't think they'd be a good fit.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 12:38 PM   #9
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
More people should listen to that. :)

That said I think Fred is thinking of relatively conventional dungeon-adjacent adventuring, and while one obviously could run that in a WWII setting, I don't think they'd be a good fit.
Not that limited. We frequently want breaks from old-style dungeoneering and have tried many genres. It was Supers (Sentinels of the Multiverse) last weekend. then 2 sessions of Gurps Pirates! before that and the last extended campaign we ran was a Star Wars-ish homebrew that might see publication some day.

Dungeon-ish things just form the bulk of the adventure market and I am looking for something with extended play possibilities and (ideally) maps, pre-planned encounters and some sort of arc.

That's actually the hard part of writing your own campaigns IMHO. Worlduilding is easy and fun and basic premises for campaigns aren't much harder. Even dramatic endings are easier than filling out the bulk of the campaign between the beginning and the end. Without a fairly detailed general plan for that extended campaign it's to easy to spend sessions that add up to no progress or to rush ahead to the end leapfrogging the middle.
Old 05-13-2022, 05:22 PM   #10
Farmer

There are various game "worlds" that have been published on the web, which might provide background or inspiration.

Things like http://www.khoras.net/ include a couple of adventures and campaigns in addition to a rich world. That site also has some links to others. Most are fantasy genre, but there are others out there I've seen from time to time when googling away.
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote