Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 04-18-2019, 01:40 PM   #1
Sinanju

Default Disbelief

I only heard about the rerelease of TFT a couple of weeks ago, but it got me reading my old copies of the game and hankering to play it again. Just picked up my Legacy Box at my local game store last night. Yay!

This is apparently (as I can't find anything about it in the rules) a house rule my long-ago gaming group used for disbelieving:

If you want to disbelieve an illusion, you cannot defend against it. "I don't think that spearman charging at me is real," so you stand without moving and let it strike. If it's an illusion, it vanishes. If it's not...well, you thought it was and he gets a free strike at you.

If you get nervous and try to defend, well obviously you don't *really* disbelieve it. So you still don't know if it's real or not.
Sinanju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 01:57 PM   #2
FireHorse

Default Re: Disbelief

There is some logic to that, but if my Disbelief truly is strong enough, shouldn't the Illusory Spearman disappear before he gets close enough to strike me (and prove that he's real)? And if he doesn't disappear, then it doesn't matter whether he's real or illusory, because I can still be wounded by him, so I must defend against his attack.
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 02:25 PM   #3
hcobb

Disbelief in TFT requires five seconds of concentration doing nothing else more than taking a step, maintain spells, and using high level Staff occult strikes.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:28 PM   #4
mark hill

In the old rules it said disbelief was 'like a spell anyone can cast' .. so yeah, you cant disbelieve while defending, or anything much else
mark hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 02:38 PM   #5
hcobb

Note that the Necropus can have each of her skeletons disbelieve with her full IQ 19+ at the same time.
Old 04-18-2019, 03:01 PM   #6
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Note that the Necropus can have each of her skeletons disbelieve with her full IQ 19+ at the same time.
Huh? How can a wizard-controlled skeleton disbelieve anything? They aren't sentient.
Old 04-18-2019, 03:18 PM   #7
hcobb

ITL 87

Compare to ITL 137: "it cannot try to cast a spell or to disbelieve an illusion, since it has no will of its own."
Old 04-18-2019, 04:14 PM   #8
Sinanju

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHorse View Post
There is some logic to that, but if my Disbelief truly is strong enough, shouldn't the Illusory Spearman disappear before he gets close enough to strike me (and prove that he's real)? And if he doesn't disappear, then it doesn't matter whether he's real or illusory, because I can still be wounded by him, so I must defend against his attack.
Yeah, he might vanish before he reached you. Or he might not.

As I recall (it was a long time ago), the purpose behind this house rule was to make disbelief risky. Or riskier. You couldn't just go around trying to disbelieve everything that confronted you. You don't think it's real? Then ignore it. If you don't ignore it, then clearly you aren't convinced it's unreal, so you can't Disbelieve.
Sinanju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:12 AM   #9
Skarg

While the concept is interesting and makes some sense, I don't think it's necessary for balance (if anything, Illusions might want some more disadvantages, not more advantages), and I think someone who understands that Illusions exist could consistently disbelieve while also not making oneself a sitting duck.

How about if it were an option that can increase your ability to disbelieve? i.e. if an illusion is currently in position to attack you, and you make a point of not defending yourself while you disbelieve, you get a +2 to your effective IQ on your disbelief roll.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:39 AM   #10
mark hill

lol I keep thinking of Dave in Knights of the Dinner Table (plays "El Ravager") .. anytime the GM throws something scary at the party he starts screaming DISBELIEVE! DISBELIEVE! .. lol the brave lead fighter :)
mark hill is offline   Reply With Quote