Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-22-2019, 03:28 PM   #11
Varyon

Default Re: Follow-up damage type (internal or external)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The intent seems to be to use small piercing to get x3 after DR for a cost of 4.5 per die. This is an obvious exploit.
It's not without a cost - if the carrier fails to penetrate DR, or if the character aims at a target's hex rather than at the target (for +4 to hit), the damage of the explosive follow-up is pi-. The attack is also arguably going to be far less effective against those with Unliving or Homogenous, and No Vitals (it arguably loses the x3 due to No Vitals, then takes a serious injury drop against Unliving/Homogenous foes).

Personally, I think the x3 should stack with the injury type of the base attack, for a total of x1.5 here. That avoids exploitative use of it. Of course, note any sort of piercing explosion has to be vetted by the GM (Explosive by default only works for burning and crushing attacks, but can work for other with GM permission).
Old 04-22-2019, 03:59 PM   #12
Hide

Alight, thanks for the warnings!

I read this thread some time ago, and was recently presented with an idea which seemed feasible; the idea is giving a carrier the ability to cause internal explosive damage. The attack is constructed as I explained before.

Stuff which deals internal explosive damage is not new; however, I am new to this matter when it comes to GURPS. By the book it seems feasible, and I understand it requires approval. I am ahead that part.

So, I am still wondering whether or not the OP attack works as intended.
Is the attack going to deal internal explosive damage, as is?
Old 04-22-2019, 04:58 PM   #13
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
The intent seems to be to use small piercing to get x3 after DR for a cost of 4.5 per die. This is an obvious exploit.
Ah thank you. I figured there was a cheap exploit being aimed at.

Depending on the campaign I'd be fine with it or require the follow-up also be crushing (or burning).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
So, I am still wondering whether or not the OP attack works as intended.
Is the attack going to deal internal explosive damage, as is?
As far as I'm concerned, yes. It works as advertised on the itn.

Is it allowable is a whole 'nother can of worms.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:25 AM   #14
Nereidalbel

To get the internal injury stats for Explosive, I'd personally say the carrier attack needs to be something actually capable of penetrating flesh. If you switched the attack to Pi- on the melee attack and an Explosive Crushing follow-up, I would see absolutely no problems with it.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:52 AM   #15
Lohengrin

Crushing carrier with Crushing follow-up should work too ( I initially wrote that cannons do crushing damage but that was wrong.). Explosive on pi- (or even on pi) seems against the rules and also unnecessary. Build it with Crushing attack with Crushing follow-up, or maybe Crushing attack Linked with Pi- attack (for high penetration) and then Crushing Explosive as a follow-up on Pi- attack.

Last edited by Lohengrin; 05-03-2019 at 12:15 PM.
Lohengrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:04 PM   #16
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohengrin View Post
Crushing carrier with Crushing follow-up should work too (note that Crushing is not only fists and clubs but also cannon shells). Explosive on pi- (or even on pi) seems against the rules and also unnecessary. Build it with Crushing attack with Crushing follow-up, or maybe Crushing attack Linked with Pi- attack (for high penetration) and then Crushing Explosive as a follow-up on Pi- attack.
Cannon in Low-Tech, at least, do Huge Piercing damage.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:09 PM   #17
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Cannon in Low-Tech, at least, do Huge Piercing damage.
Does that in high and ultra tech as well. Crushing damage with a follow-up doesn't really make sense because penetrating DR doesn't actually mean you made a hole.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:13 PM   #18
Lohengrin

Cannon everywhere does pi++ damage, I have no idea where that brain fart came from. I also failed to notice how old that thread was. I'm sorry.
Lohengrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:25 PM   #19
Plane

Quote:
Does that in high and ultra tech as well. Crushing damage with a follow-up doesn't really make sense because penetrating DR doesn't actually mean you made a hole.
I guess it'd work well enough if we had some rules for determining when crushing attacks cause bleeding.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:23 AM   #20
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
I guess it'd work well enough if we had some rules for determining when crushing attacks cause bleeding.
It would need to do more than cause bleeding, the impactor would need to go into the body, at which point it's really some class of piercing attack. A rock thrown by a human does crushing damage, but one launched by a cannon does pi++, because the latter is thrown hard enough to penetrate.