Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 03:09 PM   #1
xeodon

Default How do you manage decks and would this be allright?

Hello all, i want to adress two things here in this thread.

Firstly, I love munchkin and have a lot of munchkin products, i'm sure others do as well. I have a question for people with multiple sets and boosters and promo's.
How do you decide what deck to run, we must all agree that for example the base game + 8 (9?) expansions + most fantasy based boosters + about 30 promo's is ridiculous to run, most boosters and promo's don't have any classes or races and there are a lot of GUAL cards. so the game get's unbalanced, and now i'm not even talking about wanting to combine sets (like add legends or pathfinder cards for example)? how do you guys handle this?

i have been thinking about making a system, which helps me to make balanced decks from all the sets and cards i have. It would probably be based on a keyword system.
How i would like this system to be is to choose a few keywords to try and select some kind of theme for the deck. then select which backs, or sets to use and then the system would make a comprehensible list with a good balanace between the cards. this way if you have a lot off different stuff you want to use you can still use them and also make a fun balanced themed deck.
i'm guessing for personal use this will be fine.
Now my second question:
Would such a system (maybe webbased or something) be allright to share with other munchkin lovers?
i'm sure the problem i describe is a well known problem. for other people as well.

I have read the online policy and i'm still not sure about things
at first the system uses some background information for cards to make the selection for the deck. also the system will know what cards are in which set and will also have information about the card type (for example a random treasure card, might be an item, for the headgear slot, and give a +4 bonus, is worth 500 gold and not big). and then there will be some manually added keywords for the card.
this information will not be visible to the user.

what would eventually be visible will be a generated card list, with names of the cards. and to be fair for easy searching it should probably list the set it's from and the card back.

but this might be against the online policy right? because it's forbidden to have a list of cards from which set. even though there won't really have any rules visible?

if it is allright to have such a system out for the public i really would like to make it, and maybe even get some help from others to help make it.

otherwise since i'm guessing it's allright for personal use i will still make this for my own games. i haven't played with my regular fantasy cards for ages. just because the deck is so huge and unbalanced it's not fun anymore, i much better like playing for example apocalypse with 1 expansion 2 boosters and like 5 or 6 promo cards.

What are your thoughts on this?
Old 04-22-2019, 03:20 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: How do you manage decks and would this be allright?

First: anything you do for personal use that is not published in any form is fine.

Next: you're asking some complex licensing questions and I don't really want to hash them out on the forum, which is an extremely poor conduit for legal discussion. Game aids and apps are, in particular, a thorny spot for Munchkin and we can't give blanket permission in advance. My suggestion, if you want to push forward with disseminating what you create, is to write a detailed proposal and send it to licensing@sjgames.com to start the discussion. I don't want to speak out of turn about what we might and might not allow; it's best to go through the proper channels.

Thread closed to avoid other people from muddying the waters.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Closed Thread