Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-31-2020, 09:09 AM   #1
arnej

Default Insubstantial and Invisible

In the section on Insubstantiality, there is this:
Affect Substantial: If you have any abilities that can affect the substantial world when you are insubstantial – including magic, psionics, or powers with the Affects Substantial enhancement (p. 102) – this advantage costs more. +100%.
Earlier in the same Advantage, it mentions that Insubstantiality does not make you Invisible, for that you need the Invisibility advantage.

So, if I wanted an Invisible, Insubstantial character, would I have to take the Affects Substantial +100% to Insubstantial? Does Invisibility could as an a ability that affects the substantial world?
arnej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:33 AM   #2
RyanW

Default Re: Insubstantial and Invisible

I would say no. Affects substantial would be required for attacks, telekinesis, etc. In fact, being invisible reduces your impact on the substantial world (you don't interact with photons (though you can still somehow see (who do invisible retinas work? (have I nested too many parentheses?))))
Old 03-31-2020, 09:40 AM   #3
arnej

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
I would say no. Affects substantial would be required for attacks, telekinesis, etc. In fact, being invisible reduces your impact on the substantial world (you don't interact with photons (though you can still somehow see (who do invisible retinas work? (have I nested too many parentheses?))))
I was hoping so. I am interested in other thoughts, but that was my thinking.

Btw, love the .sig.
arnej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:48 AM   #4
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnej View Post
In the section on Insubstantiality, there is this:
Affect Substantial: If you have any abilities that can affect the substantial world when you are insubstantial – including magic, psionics, or powers with the Affects Substantial enhancement (p. 102) – this advantage costs more. +100%.
Earlier in the same Advantage, it mentions that Insubstantiality does not make you Invisible, for that you need the Invisibility advantage.

So, if I wanted an Invisible, Insubstantial character, would I have to take the Affects Substantial +100% to Insubstantial? Does Invisibility could as an a ability that affects the substantial world?
Looking at some of the templates on B263 might help...

"Spirit" doesn't since its insubstantially DOES have the +100%, but the "Astral Entity" template below it does help.

AEs "cannot materialize, become visible, or use its supernatural powers in the physical world"

Their invisibiltiy (like that of spirits) is "Substantial Only" which B63 explains means you're INvisible to substantial creatures and visible to INsubstantial ones.

If you required the +100% for invisibility to affect substantial creatures (which AE lacks) this would mean that Astral Entities couldn't use both invis/insub at the same time, they'd either need to be substantial+invisible or insubstantial+visible.

Astral Entities can't do that though, since they are ALWAYS insubstantial... meaning their invisibility-to-substantial-guys could never work at all if it required the +100%

So in conclusion I think the AE template is basically the perfect argument for why invisibility would not need that enhancement.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:32 AM   #5
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Looking at some of the templates on B263 might help...

"Spirit" doesn't since its insubstantially DOES have the +100%, but the "Astral Entity" template below it does help.

AEs "cannot materialize, become visible, or use its supernatural powers in the physical world"

Their invisibiltiy (like that of spirits) is "Substantial Only" which B63 explains means you're INvisible to substantial creatures and visible to INsubstantial ones.
This is but one example, though maybe the only one in Basic but occurs often enough to be representative. I interpret it as your affecting yourself with Invisibility rather than blocking a sense as with Obscure.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote