Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-28-2018, 02:20 PM   #1
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Help! Do you have information on old articles, reviews, and news stories?

In gearing up to launch the Kickstarter project for The Fantasy Trip, our team is chasing down reviews, articles, and news stories about The Fantasy Trip series. If you have any magazines, books, newspapers, convention programs, or fanzines with any info on the line, please share the issue number/name and date here. Including the name of the article and author would be appreciated.

Note: We are not asking you to share the article. Just the details about the publication.

Thank you!
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:54 PM   #2
Groknard

Default Re: Help! Do you have information on old articles, reviews, and news stories?

A good place to start is on rpggeek.com, in the TFT listing:

https://rpggeek.com/rpg/445/fantasy-trip

Scroll down to Linked Items, select "Issues", and you'll see a list of all the periodicals that published articles about TFT at the time. So for instance:

Adventure Gaming (Issue 5 - Nov 1981), click on that, and you'll see:

"Coming of Age on Cidri" by Harry White - "An abstract method for acquiring additional experience for childhood development in The Fantasy Trip."

I'll see if I have anything from back in the day that may not have been included on RPGgeek. IIRC, the sister-board BoardGameGeek also has listings for some of the Metagaming products, but it doesn't have the same list of periodicals.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:57 PM   #3
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Re: Help! Do you have information on old articles, reviews, and news stories?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groknard View Post
A good place to start is on rpggeek.com, in the TFT listing:
Absolutely! We have explored several resources, but we thought it useful to cast a wider net just in case there are some surprises hiding out there.

If you find anything, please let us know.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:59 PM   #4
Groknard

This may help as well, a part of Michel Boucher's "Metagaming Ludography" site, The Interplay Index. It lists all of the TFT articles that were in the brief run of the Metagaming magazine that came after Space Gamer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Absolutely! We have explored several resources, but we thought it useful to cast a wider net just in case there are some surprises hiding out there.

If you find anything, please let us know.
Will do!

Last edited by Groknard; 06-28-2018 at 04:00 PM. Reason: reply
Groknard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 04:36 PM   #5
JLV

Another interesting blog that started a few years ago is Angantyr's Blog of Many Games (and Other Things). He has some excellent retrospective articles (along with many a heart-breaker "might have been" speculation from the days when we all were just missing TFT (before the dawn of the new age last December).

Well worth a read in my opinion (though it may not be EXACTLY what you're looking for...). The author occasionally lurks on these boards, too.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:05 PM   #6
Skarg

There's the entire Braniac TFT email list archive... many years of discussion. ;-)
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:30 PM   #7
luguvalium

Vindicator Magazine, published by Michael Friend

Endurance - A Forth Character Attribute for The Fantasy Trip part 1 by Michael Friend, Vol 1, No 4, Summer 1996, p14

Endurance - A Forth Character Attribute for The Fantasy Trip part 2 by Michael Friend, Vol 1, Number 6a, Jan 1997, p3

The Fantasy Trip Gets Wired by Duke Ritenhouse (a brief review of Ty Reece’s TFT Site ) Vol II, No 4, Oct-Nov 1998, p6

There are plenty of articles about Ogre and GEV in this fanzine. If you want me to list them in another forum, I can do that, too.
luguvalium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:10 PM   #8
thrash

The Thieves' World boxed set (Chaosium 1981) included a chapter on running the setting in The Fantasy Trip.
thrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 06:51 AM   #9
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luguvalium View Post
Vindicator Magazine, published by Michael Friend

Endurance - A Forth Character Attribute for The Fantasy Trip part 1 by Michael Friend, Vol 1, No 4, Summer 1996, p14

Endurance - A Forth Character Attribute for The Fantasy Trip part 2 by Michael Friend, Vol 1, Number 6a, Jan 1997, p3

The Fantasy Trip Gets Wired by Duke Ritenhouse (a brief review of Ty Reece’s TFT Site ) Vol II, No 4, Oct-Nov 1998, p6

There are plenty of articles about Ogre and GEV in this fanzine. If you want me to list them in another forum, I can do that, too.
Thanks! The challenge, of course, will be tracking those down.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:49 AM   #10
Chris Rice

Different Worlds magazine (Chaosium) 1979, issue 2, Page 19. Interview; Steve Jackson: My Life and Roleplaying.

Different Worlds magazine (Chaosium) 1980, issue 7, Page 27. Review of In the Labyrinth.

Different Worlds magazine (Chaosium) 1980, issue 8, Page 46. Review of Advanced Melee and Wizard.

Last edited by Chris Rice; 06-30-2018 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Added year of publication
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote