Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-26-2018, 02:49 PM   #1
KevinJ

Default TFT Combat Cards

GURPPS has them, will be seeing something like them for TFT?
Old 06-26-2018, 03:58 PM   #2
Nebless

Default Re: TFT Combat Cards

Not having seen any Gurps stuff for over 30 years (holy crap! has it been that long?), could you expand on what combat Cards are?
Nebless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:57 PM   #3
KevinJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebless View Post
Not having seen any Gurps stuff for over 30 years (holy crap! has it been that long?), could you expand on what combat Cards are?
They are playing card sized game aids. Each one has one combat option, and the associated rules for that option, printed on it.

When used, each player has a set and they select their option from the cards and 'play' it to show what they are doing. Mostly they just help epople keep track of what their combat options are, though.

You can get a them as a free .pdf download from Warehouse 23.

For TFT I would like to see the same basic format with all the movement and combat options, since movement and actions are two different things. Sure, I could make my own, but having them ready to print is so much easier.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:00 PM   #4
Skarg

Sounds to me like it would slow down play at my table more than it would speed it up, even in GURPS. But if people want them... ok.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:26 AM   #5
Rick_Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Sounds to me like it would slow down play at my table more than it would speed it up, even in GURPS. But if people want them... ok.
Hi Skarg, Kevin, everyone.
I agree Skarg, but it would help newbies learn the system. (Oh yeah! If I am disengaged there are two kinds of SCOOP actions I can do. Spend 3 MA and SCOOP up a weapon with no chance of dropping it, or spend 1 MA but I have to make a 3vsDX.)

I expect that after players become expert, these things will be used less.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:42 AM   #6
JLV

I've never really seen any issues with the players figuring out what their options are; even the newest of the new ones. But, I do spend some time running newbies through a few arena combats before putting them into a campaign, so maybe that's why.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 01:17 AM   #7
Chris Rice

I'd rather have some "player aid" sheets that had all the combat options printed on them. That would be more useful to newbies, in my opinion.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:56 AM   #8
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
I'd rather have some "player aid" sheets that had all the combat options printed on them. That would be more useful to newbies, in my opinion.
Agreed. The List of Options, and the Turn Sequence in my experience is the number one thing that a referee has to keep bringing new player's attention back to.

Hopefully that information will be printed on the players-side of the new GM Screen.

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 10:12 AM   #9
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
THIS. And I'd like several copies (or permission to photocopy) so that I can give every player one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kane View Post
Agreed. The List of Options, and the Turn Sequence in my experience is the number one thing that a referee has to keep bringing new player's attention back to.

Hopefully that information will be printed on the players-side of the new GM Screen.

JK
And THIS too! Let's make that GM screen work for everyone!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 10:48 AM   #10
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
I agree Skarg, but it would help newbies learn the system. (Oh yeah! If I am disengaged there are two kinds of SCOOP actions I can do. Spend 3 MA and SCOOP up a weapon with no chance of dropping it, or spend 1 MA but I have to make a 3vsDX.)

I expect that after players become expert, these things will be used less.
Mhmm, though if they aren't super-clear and accurate, they could introduce some new confusion. There's already confusion caused by listing the Options section formally-but-incompletely/misleadingly, and then having the more complete rules in other places on other pages that explain what you can and can't do but in a different way. It seems to me that cards could easily add confusion.

I suppose if they were written extremely clearly and completely and accurately and wit no points of confusion version the rule books, however, they could end up being really helpful . . . though I'm not sure how easy/hard that would be. However it seems to me that it's still not crystal clear what all the details of the original rules were, or what they will be, and I can imagine that one or two subtle unclear parts (let alone mistakes) on the cards could lead to a lot of (the card says this, but the rule is really this) details.

I'm just trying to be helpful, not to discourage the idea...
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote