Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-22-2018, 06:50 PM   #1
tomc

Default The Fantasy Masters' Codex

While digging out (swiveling my chair and extending my arm) The Fantasy Masters' Screen, I came across my copy of The Fantasy Masters' Codex 1981.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasy_Masters%27_Codex

I was disappointed when I got it. It was made from a dot matrix printout of roughly 60 pages of tables, monster stats, etc. Which sounds great, but the pages were numbered by section like this: 1,2,3,1,2,1,2,3,1,2,1,1,2,3,4 and so on. Not very helpful.

It did have a semi-useful index for Advanced Melee, Advanced Wizard, and ITL, but by that point I either knew the rule by heart or could find it faster by just picking up one of the rule books.

Now I expect when/if SJ Games releases the "big three", there won't be a need for such a product, but depending on how things go a short, condensed reference (more than a screen, less than the Codex) might be useful.

Does anyone else remember this?

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:14 PM   #2
larsdangly

Default Re: The Fantasy Masters' Codex

Yah, that thing was useless.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:44 PM   #3
Jim Kane
Banned

Yes, it was an attempt to compensate for not having a very good index or rules glossary - admirable idea, but a lack-luster execution.

If memory serves, the idea was that Metagaming (Games Research Group) would up-date the Codex every year, as new TFT products hit the market, and expanded rules/information was introduced into the system. However, the next thing anyone knew was that HT had suddenly folded up the Metagaming tent and went into "black-out" mode. Though you could occasionally catch HT outside of the Northcross Mall in Austin, promoting the Atheist Community of Austin; but from what I had heard, he would not answer any questions about Metagaming or TFT asked of him. Then he started showing up on Cable Access as a frequent guest host. There are some of the these episodes on YouTube from 1998-2000 for those of you who were always curious to learn what HT looks and sounds like. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iikEhHUHAs The man who brought you Steve Jackson's:The Fantasy Trip... and then made it vanish into the abyss for 35 long years.

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:31 AM   #4
larsdangly

The right solution to the need for an index in a book is to put an index in the book, not to publish another book that has indices for several books. I don't think I ever cracked the cover of this one after the first time I flipped through it.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:37 AM   #5
Rick_Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
The right solution to the need for an index in a book is to put an index in the book, not to publish another book that has indices for several books. I don't think I ever cracked the cover of this one after the first time I flipped through it.
Hi all,
There was a Q&A section at the end which had some rules revisions. I copied the changes into my other books. I think that there also was a list of creature parts which could be sold, which was useful.

Rick
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:26 AM   #6
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
Well said LARS. TFT:ITL, AM, and, AW not having a decent index was something I recall SJ regretting and commenting on from way back; so, I would be surprised if he wasn't all over this for the re-edit.

JK
Old 05-23-2018, 12:09 PM   #7
Kirk

I agree, an index would be useful if done properly. One thing not to do is what was done with the Index for Advanced Third Reich by Avalon Hill. It was put in *another* booklet!

Trying to hunt down another booklet to look up something in an index then having to go back to the original rules set to see if it helps is so ridiculous we cursed it every time we had to do it.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:45 PM   #8
JLV

All in all, I'd prefer a thorough table of contents and a well done index at the back of the book to getting another monstrosity (which we had to pay extra for, remember) like the Codex. Frankly, choosing the name "Codex" for it was smart, since it was about as useful as a medieval codex was, thanks to lack of organization and lack of relevant commentary.

I still have mine... ;-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:47 PM   #9
Jim Kane
Banned

Actually the problem the TFT:ITL, AM, and AW is bigger than just the lack of an Index or Glossary, but the Table of Contents was so bare-bones, as to be seriously lacking in serviceability - especially with some rules being placed in decidedly suspect places.

Again, I can recall SJ commenting on these matters from way back, and I would not be surprised if a proper and detailed Table of Contents was not already on his high-priority list for the re-edit.

JK
Old 05-23-2018, 02:57 PM   #10
Skarg

So am I the only one who put colored tabs on my ITL, AM and AW books?
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote