Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-09-2020, 03:49 AM   #1
harlandski

Default How does 'reloading' relate to other actions?

This question came up in a game today, where two orcs were using light crossbows. As with my other questions, I'm working from the "Two Complete Games in One Box" rules.

So it's clear that with a DX of less than 14, a light crossbow can only fire every other turn. What is less clear is what option(s) they can take on the turn in between firing. I spontaneously ruled that they couldn't do anything (they were reloading), but this doesn't seem to be covered in the written options, or where missile fire / missile weapons are explained. Maybe in line with other complex actions, they should be allowed to move one hex? Or maybe (less logically) they could take another action?

Is there an official rule about this (maybe from the advanced rules), or have I missed something?
harlandski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 04:01 AM   #2
amenditman

Default Re: How does 'reloading' relate to other actions?

Just looking at the list of Options it is not clear.
Only mention of 'reload' is under engaged figures it says may not ready or reload a missile weapon.

Under options for disengaged figures 'Ready New Weapon' is the closest fit for reload but does not mention it.
Old 03-09-2020, 06:42 AM   #3
Chris Rice

Melee p16. "Reloading a crossbow comes under Ready New Weapon for all purposes." That's option (e)
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:33 AM   #4
harlandski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
Melee p16. "Reloading a crossbow comes under Ready New Weapon for all purposes." That's option (e)
Thanks, I somehow managed to miss that. So they get to move up to two hexes too.
harlandski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:37 PM   #5
KevinJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
This is where I put reloading.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:40 AM   #6
Brazen Hussey

Not arguing about RAW, but realistically with a crossbow what is taking the time is not reloading but spanning, or cocking, it. Hard to imagine you'd be moving much while using a stirrup, or a goat's foot, or whatever to span your crossbow.
Brazen Hussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:38 AM   #7
Skarg

That is a good point, although I think TFT imagines that people who can span a crossbow in 1 to 3 turns are strong enough to do it by hand. When using a cranequin, yeah the figure should probably not be able to move around.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 07:26 AM   #8
JustAnotherJarhead

the rules say a cranquin takes longer, so yes, i would assume a ST 12 character is handcocking, (or ST15 respectively as this takes twice as long anyways) and still the two hex MA would still be an option as this is when they are dropping a bolt onto the nut.

Another house rule to consider, just as 2 handed weapons maybe be used in one hand by a Strong character, ST plays a huge roll in spanning a crossbow, you may want to consider the 3+ rule to allow an acceleration on this, it give a little *** for tat on the DX crowd vs: the ST crowd, as many will argue that a 14+ DX is really not any more responsible for a quick reload of a Light cross bow, than a ST 3+ over would equally be. In fact a 15+ST character probably isn't even using the "stirrup" but just muscling it back like a 160 lb Longbow still at the ready.

Heaven forbid a mechanician ever figures out a "magazine" to drop a few bolts into as a modification.

Last edited by JustAnotherJarhead; 04-04-2020 at 07:33 AM.
JustAnotherJarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 07:46 AM   #9
amenditman

The ancient greeks had a crossbow, called gastrophetes (something like that) which meant belly bow. It was know as early as 5th century BCE.

That is what I think of as a light crossbow.
Old 04-09-2020, 10:37 PM   #10
Brazen Hussey

I think in the real world it takes massive strength to hand cock a light crossbow (120 - 200 lbs pull weight) though a regular person could do it by sitting down and using their feet against the bow. It's hard to compare real world to TFT world, but when comparing bow and crossbow damage, the TFT crossbows are really heavy and heavier.

If you want to do as much damage as a longbow with a crossbow then I believe you are using a pull weight of around 500 - 600 lbs and I don't think anyone is hand cocking that. Maybe someone can? Now imagine trying to do that multiple times in a row for a combat situation - I'm guessing that would never happen.

If we accept TFT damage figures so our longbow does 1d+2 then that would mean a TFT "light" crossbow has a draw of around 900 and the heavy would have to be at least at the top weight produced in the medieval period. That would also remove our possibility of hand cocking.

I'm just regurgitating what I remember from vids on medieval stuff - Tod's Workshop, etc. Also, I realize this is a game and not reality.
Brazen Hussey is offline   Reply With Quote