Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 02-17-2020, 10:54 AM   #1
hcobb

Default Should rest scale with size?

Should a 14-hex dragon recover almost one fatigue per minute of rest, or do these take a nap for a few weeks after every fight?
Old 02-17-2020, 12:09 PM   #2
FireHorse

Default Re: Should rest scale with size?

I think it should scale in proportion to base ST, not size. Since ST represents not only Strength but also Endurance / Vitality / Health, it sounds rational to me that one should recover from Fatigue more quickly with high ST than with low.

This would indirectly favor size too, since (usually) the bigger something is, the higher its ST.
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 01:35 PM   #3
Shostak

NPCs recover fatigue at the rate I, as GM, need them to. Anything else is too complicated for me to want to bother with.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 02:46 PM   #4
FireHorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
NPCs recover fatigue at the rate I, as GM, need them to.
Excellent point.

It may also be worth asking: Under what circumstances would an NPC 14-hex Dragon need to recover from Fatigue? Are there parties of Adventurers who cause 14-hex Dragons to expend spells on them, yet somehow survive, then go hide somewhere so they (and the Dragon) can rest up before trying again?
Old 02-17-2020, 03:27 PM   #5
hcobb

Ask your neighborhood au-naturalist how quickly the 14 hex dragon can recover after burning the village down.
Old 02-17-2020, 03:54 PM   #6
FireHorse

My mind is awash with bizarre imagery. A prudish Dragon, who cannot abide those scaleless Human nudists…

…but no! I must not give form to the Idea. I understand now what Lovecraft meant, that some horrors are so great that mere knowledge of them risks insanity.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:23 PM   #7
Skarg

I have the starting point be proportional to an average ST 10 human. So a ST 100 creature recovers fatigue and injury 10 times as fast as a human, a ST 30 creature 3 times as fast, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHorse View Post
It may also be worth asking: Under what circumstances would an NPC 14-hex Dragon need to recover from Fatigue? Are there parties of Adventurers who cause 14-hex Dragons to expend spells on them, yet somehow survive, then go hide somewhere so they (and the Dragon) can rest up before trying again?
RAW, dragons use fatigue (a lot of it) to breathe fire.

And, one of their best tactics is to fly over victims to get the flying and/or height advantages (reduces DX of people shooting at them, and makes it impossible to hit them with melee weapons), and breathe fire at them, then fly away if they're not able to easily finish the job, go fly someplace safe to rest, come back fresh.

Last edited by Skarg; 02-17-2020 at 05:26 PM.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:51 PM   #8
JimmyPlenty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
I have the starting point be proportional to an average ST 10 human. So a ST 100 creature recovers fatigue and injury 10 times as fast as a human, a ST 30 creature 3 times as fast, etc.
I'm a fan of this simple solution.
JimmyPlenty is offline   Reply With Quote