Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-13-2014, 08:20 AM   #1
Grunker

Default GURPS: The Witcher (finished project)

Finally! Took me long enough. After what seems like years of work, I finally finished my GURPS: The Witcher project on this cold day of January, thanks to a well-earned winter holiday from uni.

I've been working on the project on-and-off for around three years. This finished version includes a supplement for Characters and one for monsters and other secrets (recommended for GM's only). The plan is to release a Campaign setting further down the line, but right now, I want to get on with my own campaign and start writing.

There are a lot of people who deserve credit for their help during the work I did with 'Witchers and their World.' Specific credit and foreword will be present in Characters, but for now, tons of praise and thanks should be given to the communities of sjgames.com and The Witcher Wiki, which were two invaluable resources in creating these supplements. Specific credit should be given to Bruno, Gnomasz, Langy and vierasmarius from these forums.

A few things of note:

1) On GURPS rules and red threads: On one or two occasions, I break RAW a bit or add some not-so-universal add-ons to the rules. This supplement is first and foremost made for the purposes of my own campaign, and I wanted to be faithful to setting and mechanics feel of The Witcher over strict, no-nonsense adherence to GURPS. However, whenever I diverge even the slightest from RAW or something similar, I specifically point that out in the supplement. The rules that break most with "traditional GURPS" are the rules for Toxicity. To revert this to feeling GURPSian again, just make witcher potions require HT rolls to avoid tox damage and let that be the end of it. Simple :)

2) On monster entries: Monster entries are not listed in the usual way that GURPS handles such. I dislike GURPS' layout because I don't find it very useful for quick reference during play.

3) On general layout: I am not a layout-wizard. I stand by the content of the supplement, but I realize the layout won't win any beauty-contests. I hope it's bearable for anyone who'd like to use it. If anyone volunteers to edit layout, just send me a PM and receive my gratitude. Obviously, it would be quite a bit of work.

4) On master-copies: Should you want to edit these documents for your own purposes, don't hesitate to contact me. I will send you the master .odt documents. Just remember to credit me in edited copies. Thank you.

Finally, please point out errors and don't hesitate to comment, critique and so on and so forth. Editing the documents is very easy, so I'll be fixing and updating constantly (and I'll make sure to change the URLs as I do).

That said, for anyone who is interested, here are the downloads:

DOWNLOAD GURPS: Witchers And Their World - Characters

DOWNLOAD GURPS: Witchers And Their World - Monstrum

(right-click and select "save as" to save the .pdf on your computer, or if you have trouble opening the .pdfs in your browser)

Last edited by Grunker; 04-28-2019 at 03:03 PM.
Grunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:21 PM   #2
Agent

Default Re: GURPS: The Witcher (finished project)

Congratulations on the completion!

As I haven't read the book(s?) or played the games I can't say too much on that front, but looks interesting. Will keep it in mind if ever I do absorb some of the setting and want to adapt it.

Quote:
On general layout: I am not a layout-wizard. I stand by the content of the supplement, but I realize the layout won't win any beauty-contests. I hope it's bearable for anyone who'd like to use it.
I think that it's entirely fine.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:22 AM   #3
Grunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent View Post
Congratulations on the completion!
Thanks!

On the subject of layouts, another user is reworking the files into letter-format. If I receive such copies from him, I'll make sure to upload those to the OP.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:46 AM   #4
Yorunkun

Wow. Thanks for going through the trouble of writing this up and sharing it here.
Just skimmed the first PDF and found it very accessible.

A totally minor thing I noticed: On page 12, I think you confused "probably" with "properly". Anal, I know. Just FYI.

Also, I would have moved the templates and lenses to chapter one or two, but that's just me.

Anyways, really good work. Again, thanks.
Yorunkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:57 AM   #5
Grunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorunkun View Post
Wow. Thanks for going through the trouble of writing this up and sharing it here.
Just skimmed the first PDF and found it very accessible.

[...]

Anyways, really good work. Again, thanks.
Thanks!

Quote:
A totally minor thing I noticed: On page 12, I think you confused "probably" with "properly". Anal, I know. Just FYI.
Like I said: editing these things really is 0 trouble. So feel free to point out even mistakes as small as these.

Quote:
Also, I would have moved the templates and lenses to chapter one or two, but that's just me.
Lenses?

The reason templates come so late is that The Witcher template really is sort of a summary for the entire thing. It draws from almost all aspects of the supplement. At least, that was my logic, to the extend that there was one.

I guess the practical reason is that I couldn't finish the template before I had finished the manual, haha.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:26 PM   #6
corwyn

Again, congrats on finishing.

I think DX on the Witcher main template should cost 40 points unless I'm missing something. I went there first and at first glance I thought this was for 3e due to attribute costs.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:10 AM   #7
Grunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
Again, congrats on finishing.

I think DX on the Witcher main template should cost 40 points unless I'm missing something. I went there first and at first glance I thought this was for 3e due to attribute costs.
Do'h! What a stupid mistake to make at the finish line. Will fix :)
Old 01-15-2014, 02:36 AM   #8
Kuba

This is awesome!

There's a typo in characters though; in the sorcery advantage, it says:

Quote:
Knowing magic and casting spells is a significant advantage in a world where next to one will have protection from or knowledge of such things
Typo is bolded.
Kuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:06 AM   #9
Grunker

I uploaded a new version with some minor fixes (among these, the point cost mistake on The Witcher template).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuba View Post
This is awesome!
Thanks!

Quote:
Typo is bolded.
Fixed!

Last edited by Grunker; 01-15-2014 at 04:11 AM.
Grunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:46 AM   #10
OldSam

Impressive, really great work man! Thanks a lot for sharing this!

As I've just read the Geralt stories a few month ago, I'm quite sure this will be my next game :)
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
the witcher, witcher