Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 04-21-2019, 08:02 AM   #1
Shostak

Default Fright Checks

My memory suggests that this owes a great deal to something I read somewhere, though I can't now recall who to credit.

Fright Checks
When rolling for Fright Check, all figures have a basic target of 16 on 3d. Modifiers are added or subtracted from 16 to reflect the severity of the fright. If failing, the figure rolls on the Fright Table. It is expected that repeated exposure to a potential fright will progressively inure a figure to that source of terror.

Fright Table
3-4: Stunned 1 round
5-6: Stunned for 1 round, 3d v IQ or drop weapon/item
7-10: Stunned for 2 rounds, IQ -1 for 4 rounds, 3d v IQ or drop weapon/item,
11-14: Flee in panic 1d rounds, IQ-1 for 3D rounds, 3d v IQ or drop weapon/item,
15-16: Take 2 points fatigue, flee in panic 1d rounds, IQ-1 for 1d minutes, 3d v IQ or drop weapon/item
17-18: Faint for 1d+1 rounds, take 2 points fatigue, IQ-2 for 1 hour
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:06 AM   #2
mark hill

Default Re: Fright Checks

It does remind one of old Call of Cthulhu :)

I take it this is for stuff like running into undead?
mark hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:37 AM   #3
Skarg

That looks like someone remembering the GURPS fright check system. Works pretty well, if you develop the table and the modifiers carefully, as they did in GURPS.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:01 PM   #4
Shostak

The big difference between this and GURPS and CoC is that the fright check is not based on an attribute.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:46 PM   #5
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark hill View Post
It does remind one of old Call of Cthulhu :)

I take it this is for stuff like running into undead?
Not necessarily only undead. A 14-hex dragon, a huge troll, seeing your best buddy get ripped to bits by Long Lankin, anything that seems extremely dangerous and unfamiliar.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:51 PM   #6
hcobb

Rolling an 18 on a spell casting roll makes you fall over from the terror of knowing what magic is all about?
Old 04-21-2019, 01:57 PM   #7
JLV

An old Brit RPG called "Dragon Warriors" had a pretty good (and similar) system for Fright Checks, so it's possible that's what you might be remembering. (It's been republished in a cleaned-up modern format if anyone is interested in looking it up on DriveThru -- lots of cool adventures for it too).

And CR Brandon's Heroes and Other Worlds has an excellent morale/fright check system that is specifically designed to work with TFT and is pretty simple to use...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:04 PM   #8
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Rolling an 18 on a spell casting roll makes you fall over from the terror of knowing what magic is all about?
If you're GMing and that's what you want to do, sure. But, no, that would probably not be a situation I'd require a fright check in, except perhaps in a cosmic horror game. In that case, I'd have some kind of magical effect go off that freaks out someone working magic for the first time. But, I'd probably not be using TFT for that.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:08 PM   #9
mark hill

I usually handle this sort of thing by the PLAYER'S behaviour .. they run when they reckon their characters little lives are in great danger .. or they calmly accept the possibility or certainty of death and dont

also, you get guys playing a treacherous scumbag who runs out on the party, leaving them in the lurch :) usually thats role playing tho, more often the whole party discusses when running might be wise
mark hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:12 PM   #10
JLV

That's a good way to handle players, but NPCs need some kind of mechanism, I think.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
horror, tft