Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-22-2015, 05:48 AM   #11
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Can you Parry a Bear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
That'd be the bear's full weight. Against a sword, however, the bear using the bear as a weapon should suffice: a Slam attack counts as full-ST against a parry.
BL/2 instead of ST×1, assuming you're using the new Combat Write Large ruleset, BTW.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:59 AM   #12
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hige View Post
I think ST 14 character cannot parry more than 40 lbs weapon. You need more than ST 67 to parry 900 lbs.
You're correct. I inverted the BL calculation incorrectly in my head, and divided the bear's weight by 5 rather than multiplying. No doing arithmetic before coffee, evidently.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 04:46 PM   #13
whswhs

Is it a hand held bear, a thrown bear, or fired from a bear cannon?

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:31 PM   #14
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Is it a hand held bear, a thrown bear, or fired from a bear cannon?
Or, even worse...
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:16 PM   #15
Snaps

Those rules seem a little off to me. So a 19 ST Grizzly is easier to parry than a 3 lb broadsword in the hands of a ST 10 man (or woman)?

You could also stop the tusks of a Bull Elephant, or even tail swipe/bites/claw attacks of a ST 100 Dragon? The Dragon would need 100 ST before you'd even need to check for breakage. A ST 80 Dragon could be parried by a normal broadsword without even having to check for breakage.

Also, after looking over the rules, I notice that a Rapier can Parry a Greatsword without having to even check for breakage.

Anyone else think the weapon breakage rules need a little tweaking?
Snaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:51 PM   #16
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
Those rules seem a little off to me. So a 19 ST Grizzly is easier to parry than a 3 lb broadsword in the hands of a ST 10 man (or woman)?
The ST 10 man part is misleading in that it doesn't actually play a part.

The only thing that really matters is the effective weapon weight of the bear claw of 1.9 pounds, vs the (in the case of a broadsword) 3 pounds of the weapon.

In order for the 3 pound broadsword to be broken parrying another weapon, the parried weapon would have to be more than 9 pounds. The bear paw thing is just for the swipe, a charge or other aspects would use other rules.

The end result is that it is no easier, or harder to parry based on weight. The difficulty is based entirely on the target number (parry number) that you have to roll against. This is simply about the chance of breaking the weapon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
You could also stop the tusks of a Bull Elephant, or even tail swipe/bites/claw attacks of a ST 100 Dragon? The Dragon would need 100 ST before you'd even need to check for breakage. A ST 80 Dragon could be parried by a normal broadsword without even having to check for breakage.
I'd play that one by ear as a size issue as well. A dragon tail being as large as it is, would probably count as the full ST in my view. Or, to put it the way someone I knew phrased it when he broke his arm in the SCA "I saw the ground coming at me, so I parried." I doubt it would break the weapon as you're basically moving it between you and the ground.

Quote:
Also, after looking over the rules, I notice that a Rapier can Parry a Greatsword without having to even check for breakage.
I've seen it done with at least recreation weapons so... not too hard for me to believe. Close enough for game purposes.

Note also that, even if you do parry something heavy enough to risk breakage, the initial breakage chance results only on a 1 or 2 on a 1d roll.
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:03 PM   #17
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Something I would take into account beyond "Can you parry?" and "Did it break my weapon in the process?" is how much damage would have been done and assess knockback, or treat it as a slam if it can't conceivably be redirected away to avoid damage.
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:33 AM   #18
Anders

Maybe something like "if your margin of success on Block is 0 or 1 you still take knockback damage"?
Old 05-24-2017, 02:56 PM   #19
GWJ

Pyramid #77: Combat
Combat Writ Large

Here are optional "more realistic" rules for attacks of high ST and natural attacks.
GWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:55 PM   #20
mr beer

It's clear from this thread that's it's more effective to bludgeon someone with a grizzly bear than simply have the bear attack them.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deflections, parry, stops