Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-15-2009, 11:56 AM   #51
Joseph R

Default Re: [Fantasy] Assassin Backstab?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unwitting Pawn View Post
- it's simply the All-Out Grapple and Strike rules in the Grab and Smash! box on p.118 of Martial Arts.
To quote myself ;)
Joseph R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:59 AM   #52
Diogenes

I suffered from Temporary Blindness :)

Role-playing in Vienna: Athenaes Siegel (German)
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:09 PM   #53
HANZO

The Rogue/assassin in my last game was a big fan of reverse grip (swing) with a Pi+ weapon (which I think was a custom stiletto type weapon) to the vitals. Paired with a medium thrusting-impaling sword like a gladius.

Another favored weapon was a cut down spear, he hacked off a spear handle making it a little less than half its original size, Much like a zulu spear. We joked about him running around with a sawn-off in his trench coat.

Often using an all out attack. or thrusting the spear or stiletto to the vitals with a swift follow up with the gladius.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:17 PM   #54
Jasonft

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Benj View Post
Or indeed Cutting, Impaling, Piercing, Tight-beam Burning...
Yet still much harder to hit (-8) than the neck (-5).
And has DR, which the neck doesn't.
What are you getting at?
Sever the spinal cord and *boom* the target is down. Using realistic weapons this might be easier to do with crushing attacks. Long term damage if they survive is ugly.

Admittedly the target is smaller than the skull, but might have less effective DR. I suppose this is part of why Skull is an easier hit from behind, GURPS just puts them together and calls it a skull hit rather than two separate locations.
Jasonft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:26 PM   #55
Jasonft

If someone does a 'Grab and Stab' and the target survives the first round what are the penalties and benefits for both parties (stabber and target) on the second and possibly succeeding rounds? The rules for this always confused me a little.
Jasonft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:28 PM   #56
Joseph R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonft View Post
If someone does a 'Grab and Stab' and the target survives the first round what are the penalties and benefits for both parties (stabber and target) on the second and possibly succeeding rounds? The rules for this always confused me a little.
Those would be the standard penalties in all cases, I believe. So, if the target isn't Stunned or unconscious (p.B420), they will still be suffering the Shock (p.B419) from the wound. Furthermore, they will remain Grappled (-4 to DX, p.B370) until the attacker chooses to release them, or they can make him do so (Actions After Being Grappled box, p.B371).
Joseph R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:02 AM   #57
The Benj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonft View Post
Sever the spinal cord and *boom* the target is down. Using realistic weapons this might be easier to do with crushing attacks. Long term damage if they survive is ugly.
The spine uses the normal multipliers for the torso, but has nasty Knockdown and long-term effects. A Crushing weapon is the worst possible choice.

Quote:
Admittedly the target is smaller than the skull, but might have less effective DR. I suppose this is part of why Skull is an easier hit from behind, GURPS just puts them together and calls it a skull hit rather than two separate locations.
The spine has DR 3.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:57 AM   #58
Mateus

Great ideas! My mind is rolling with numbers...
Mateus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combat rules, martial arts, sentry removal