Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-13-2006, 02:18 PM   #11
Lameth

Default Re: Horror Help please (Lovecraft vs. Hellboy)

where I am not running anything with Hellboy, I would like to use the universe as a backdrop and also the Mythos of Lovecraft.... now just to find away to have it fit in.
Lameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:29 PM   #12
AmesJainchill

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian
You could even reconcile them entirely. In Hebrew mysticism, it is sometimes said that God made several false starts before creating our universe. The remnants of these flawed worlds are the Qlippoth, or shells. Check GURPS Cabal for a discussion of just how Lovecraftian these could be and how nasty it is when they penetrate our reality.
Huh, I didn't know the false start universe thing was real.
AmesJainchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 01:30 AM   #13
Jürgen Hubert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lameth
You can go to here to get a overview of the Hellboy Mythos stuff. thanks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogdru_Jahad
OK, I've read some of that.

First of all, I'd let the PCs discover the "official history" of the Ogdru Jahad (Creation by the Watchers, etc.) - but that's just the usual human rationalization and rewriting of the actual events. I mean, it's not as if humans were present at the time, right?

Let them discover several variants of the Myth that all have some differences from each other - this way, they will gradually begin to suspect that they might not be totally accurate. And some ambiguity about the Mythos is fairly normal for this genre - Truth is something that is only discovered gradually, if at all.

If you want to let them discover the "Truth" behind their "Creation", then you could use this:

The Ogdru Jahad are a Great Old One (that it has several component bodies shouldn't matter for that status) who were either created or summoned to Earth by the Elder Things in their wars against the Mi-Go. Their plan backfired, and the entity slipped out of their control, threatening the entire Earth. Either the Elder Things took heroic measures to imprison them (and lost many among their numbers to do it), or the Mi-Go managed to subdue the entity by themselves.

This also means that the Mi-Go might be very interested in preventing the awakening of this entity if they learn of any such attempts. Of course, that doesn't mean that they will actively help the investigators - they'll just attempt to kidnap anyone who knows of this, put his brain into one of their brain cylinders, and interrogate him until he reveals all he knows.

(If you are also using Delta Green, you could also use UFO abductions for this purpose...)

As for the rest of the Hellboy Mythos, I suggest using the more antropomorphic legends as the "surface layer" of the greater mysteries - what humans believe is true. But further research will eventually reveal the Cthulhu Mythos lurking behind it...
Old 09-14-2006, 11:21 AM   #14
Lameth

thanks alot :)
Lameth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hellboy