Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-17-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
Zobnog

Default Insubstantiality, Possession, and Affects Substantial

A question for all you Gurps gurus out there. One of my players suggested this concept for a supers character called Wicker Man. He is a spirit (specifically the ghost of a dead hero) who is capable of possessing inanimate objects and animating them under certain very limited circumstances. This is very simple to model (spirit Meta-trait + Possession and TK w/ Animation). However:

According to strict Gurps rules, if you want an ability to be able to affect the substantial world while you are insubstantial you must pay for Affects Substantial twice. Once at +100% to Insubstantiality, once more at +40% to any ability that you want to use while insubstantial. I'm wondering if this rule applies to Possession (spiritual)? After all, you can't take Possession (spiritual) without having the spirit meta-trait, and Possession specifically operates on substantial targets. If it does require the Affects Substantial enhancement, then without this enhancement the base ability is useless (unless you rule that it CAN effect insubstantial targets, in which case you'll wind up with spirits possessing other spirits).

So here's my question: Do you have to apply "Affects Substantial" to the Possession (spiritual) advantage? And if so, exactly what does this ability do without the Affects Substantial enhancement?

P.S.: This is my first post on the Steve Jackson Games forum. Yay!
Zobnog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #2
the_matrix_walker

Default Re: Insubstantiality, Possession, and Affects Substantial

Welcome to the Forum!

You do not need to purchase Affects Substantial on your Possession.

Possession is a purely mental trait, and even though it's target is substantial, the power is not affecting a change in the substantial world.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:46 PM   #3
Zobnog

Thank you. Much appreciated. To expand on the question a bit, however:

I want the Wicker Man to be able to animate objects he possesses, and to use certain other abilities on those objects while he is possessing them. For example, TK (only on possessed objects) to allow him to animate objects he is currently possessing, or Illusion (only on possessed objects) to allow him to change the appearance of an object he is currently possessing. In both these cases, he cannot use TK on any other person or object, either substantial or insubstantial.

If I treat Wicker Man as insubstantial even while possessing an object, then any such abilities should require the Affects Substantial enhancement. If I treat him as substantial, (which he effectively is so long as he is occupying a physical form), then I don't have to pay for Affects Substantial (but I also can't use either Illusion or Animation except on objects I'm possessing, and never on insubstantial targets.

So, the second question: Are you still considered insubstantial even when possessing something substantial? And if not, does this allow you to use your "insubstantial only" abilities on the substantial world while possessing that object?
Zobnog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:47 PM   #4
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zobnog View Post
I want the Wicker Man to be able to animate objects he possesses, and to use certain other abilities on those objects while he is possessing them. For example, TK (only on possessed objects) to allow him to animate objects he is currently possessing, or Illusion (only on possessed objects) to allow him to change the appearance of an object he is currently possessing. In both these cases, he cannot use TK on any other person or object, either substantial or insubstantial.
It is perfectly valid to take Accessibility modifiers on your Illusion and Telekinesis to only affect your current body (-10%).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zobnog View Post
If I treat Wicker Man as insubstantial even while possessing an object, then any such abilities should require the Affects Substantial enhancement.

So, the second question: Are you still considered insubstantial even when possessing something substantial? And if not, does this allow you to use your "insubstantial only" abilities on the substantial world while possessing that object?
Ok, If you are using Spiritual Possession and are possessing something, then you currently have a physical body.

When using Spiritual Possession, your "spirit form self" is effectively inert/unconscious and rides along inside the subject of your Possession. The only abilities you may use are those defined as purely mental, that are carried along when you posses someone as defined in the description on pg. B75 "You keep your own IQ, Perception, and Will, and all of your mental traits."

Despite your real "body" being a spirit, if you are posessing someone, your consciousness is currently living in something material, and does not require "Affects Substantial"

In general, you can just forget about your spirit form, unless the form you are possessing is attacked with something that Affects Insubstantial, then your spirit form may be injured. (If the attack affects both substantial and insubstantial targets, the GM may choose to have your "Body's" HP afford some DR for your "Spirit")
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
affects substantial