Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-27-2006, 09:07 PM   #1
LoneWolf23k

Default Banestorm: Cultural Contamination

Decided to try a creative challenge.. ...p37 of Banestorm says that a fair amount of artistic material from Earth slips in to Yrth from the Banestorms, and that unlike technological knowledge, songs and stories are rarely controlled very tightly, and that audiances tend to like artistic novelties.

I've decided to see just how far we can go to adapt Earth stories to Yrth.. Here's my first idea..

The War of the Stars: This play was created only scarce 10 years ago, adapted to the audiances of Yrth by some imaginative playright from novelisations of the Star Wars Trilogy; The basic story involves a young peasant boy, Lucas of Skywalker, who soon finds himself recruited by a Rebellion against the cruel Empire, ruled by a dark sorceror and his black knight henchman, along the way learning he's actually the last of a line of divinely empowered knights, and discovering the true fate of his long-lost father. This play is disliked by the Megalan crown, but is very popular in Caithness and Cardiel, and is often illicitely performed in the low-class districts of Megalan cities.
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 09:18 PM   #2
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

Default Re: Banestorm: Cultural Contamination

I hear tell that wandering long haired bard James Morrison liked it quite a bit.

- Edmund of Charlestown
You can't take the sky from me....

A vote for charity: http://s3.silent-tower.org/TheKlingonVotes/index.html
Qoltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 10:27 PM   #3
William

Terminator

All references to time travel were stripped, but more technological elements than usual were approved by the Ministry of Serendipity in this script: it serves as a propagandistic piece against advanced technology.

In a dark kingdom of mad alchemists and artificers, a prophecy is uttered that a woman will bear a child who will lead the people in revolt against their overlords. The ruling guild pools their talents and combines mechanics with the dark arts of necromancy to create a mechanically-augmented zombie, whose metal bones and flashing eyes make great scare moments in the play. Its machine-cold singlemindedness in its pursuit of the bewildered woman is offset and finally overcome by her will to survive, empowered by the words of the prophet who came to find her and father her child.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 11:52 PM   #4
Almafeta

"Westerns"

As pulp novels of westerns become popular, so they cross over into Yrth. Pistols become crossbows, and rifles become bows, but few other things change. And a few are taken in by the romances; 'indians' easily turn into 'orcs', and people become willing to cross the 'rockies' (Zarak) to explore the 'gold coast' (the northwest Orclands). The idea of the noble commoner in a white hat, striving to act with chivalry and live deliberately, takes root almost as quickly as does the black-hatted robber...
Almafeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 12:00 AM   #5
Almafeta

Superman

A quiet scribe, Clark Kent hides a secret. He was not born as a human, but rather, the son of a god and goddess, who sent their child to Yrth on a silver boulder when their heavenly home was destroyed by a demon. Now, although his divine strength, toughness, fleetness, and flight allow him to hide from demons, he hides his identity from everyone, including from the woman he loves, so that these demons never harm him. While fighting demons and monsters, he dons a light, joyfully blue and red robe that reveals his face; while a scribe, he wears a demure, heavy grey-and-brown-and-black robe that obscures his face.
Almafeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 12:14 AM   #6
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

Great! Now I'm trying to think of how to do "The BatMan" for Yrth culture. He could be a mythical figure fighting crime in either Tredroy or Megalos itself. The whole secret Identity as a rich , middle-level noble just works perfectly. Loyal servant Alfred helping him, his squire Robin of Grayson.
Most of his gadgets might work even at a low tech level ...especially those crossbow kinds of things.

The Joker becomes a former Court Jester thats gone eveil because of a spell backfire.

Commisioner Gordon ..becomes head of the Town Guard who secretly helps the Darknight Detective.

"CatWoman" as adversary could actually be a Shapeshifter!!

- E.W. Charlton

Old 04-28-2006, 12:20 AM   #7
Jürgen Hubert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almafeta
Superman

A quiet scribe, Clark Kent hides a secret. He was not born as a human, but rather, the son of a god and goddess, who sent their child to Yrth on a silver boulder when their heavenly home was destroyed by a demon. Now, although his divine strength, toughness, fleetness, and flight allow him to hide from demons, he hides his identity from everyone, including from the woman he loves, so that these demons never harm him. While fighting demons and monsters, he dons a light, joyfully blue and red robe that reveals his face; while a scribe, he wears a demure, heavy grey-and-brown-and-black robe that obscures his face.
The Church is wary of heathen deities, so they might attempt to censor this one. Perhaps you should dress up their parents as Greek Gods (going for a mythical/classical angle - this works especially well if you emphasize that his capsule has been around since before the time of Christ) - and make his adoptive parents good Christians, of course.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:24 AM   #8
Jürgen Hubert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoltar
Great! Now I'm trying to think of how to do "The BatMan" for Yrth culture. He could be a mythical figure fighting crime in either Tredroy or Megalos itself. The whole secret Identity as a rich , middle-level noble just works perfectly. Loyal servant Alfred helping him, his squire Robin of Grayson.
Most of his gadgets might work even at a low tech level ...especially those crossbow kinds of things.
Alternatively, they could be magic items, although the BatMan himself should not be a wizard himself...
Old 04-28-2006, 12:28 AM   #9
Captain-Captain

Friday Colombo the Michaelite. No criminal stays free long after this Knight of justice is set on the trail.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 12:31 AM   #10
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

I can see the rumpled cloak now and slouched stance...

"Excuse me, Milady - I just have one more question..."

"you see there's one thing that still bothers me...."

- E.W. Charlton