Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 Digital

Old 05-08-2009, 11:53 AM   #51
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)
Default Re: Digital eBook reader devices...

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrystarcat
It's the DRM. The encryption technology they use is subject to U.S. Import/Export laws. They could dumb down their encryption, but then it would be SO much easier to bypass. (The encryption strengths you're allowed to export aren't intractable to crack with a brute-force attack.)

For some reason, encryption technology falls into the same export category as assault rifles and nuclear technology, so they can't export the Kindle because it contains embedded encryption technology, and they can't export software to decrypt Kindle files.
Another reason to dislike DRM!

BTW, after some testing with the eee, I must say it's FANTASTIC. I have removed the Linux for real dummies that is the default Xandros distribution, and installed Linux for slightly less dummies (Ubuntu Netbook Remix). The batery life is AMAZING, the screen is crisp, and while it's not big enough to have a whole page on display, it's big enough for checking during the games.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:23 PM   #52
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima
Another reason to dislike DRM!

BTW, after some testing with the eee, I must say it's FANTASTIC. I have removed the Linux for real dummies that is the default Xandros distribution, and installed Linux for slightly less dummies (Ubuntu Netbook Remix). The batery life is AMAZING, the screen is crisp, and while it's not big enough to have a whole page on display, it's big enough for checking during the games.
So how much did you have to pay for this gimpedly too-low-resolution ebook reader? (And what is its resolution?)
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:59 PM   #53
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

And then, of course, there's the cutting-edge solution.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 01:24 AM   #54
mook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen
So how much did you have to pay for this gimpedly too-low-resolution ebook reader? (And what is its resolution?)
I think from an earlier post the one being referred to is the 901, currently $280 at Amazon. Resolution looks like 1024 x 600.

One of the eee PCs has been on my wish list for quite a while, specifically for PDFs, specifically for gaming and at-the-table use. Nice to hear it seems to perform well.
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:27 AM   #55
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Well, so you can see what to expect, I'll pot a couple screenshots:

My desktop
The credits page of Thaumatology
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:12 AM   #56
Žorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Just how much resolution do you need to read text?

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Žorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:45 PM   #57
mook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima
Well, so you can see what to expect, I'll pot a couple screenshots:

My desktop
The credits page of Thaumatology
Looks pretty sweet! But - why does the bottom paragraph of the Thaumatology page refer to it as 'Thaumatlolgy'?
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 04:14 PM   #58
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Žorkell
Just how much resolution do you need to read text?
I don't know how much I need in, order to be able to read an entire page of table-heavy RPG text, without having to zoom in, but I'm guessing something like 2 megapixel. Probably 3 just to make sure.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:43 PM   #59
Žorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
I don't know how much I need in, order to be able to read an entire page of table-heavy RPG text, without having to zoom in, but I'm guessing something like 2 megapixel. Probably 3 just to make sure.
OK, there's something I'm not getting in all this. The screen I'm writing this on is a laptop screen, it's about the size of an A4 sheet of paper, it's 1280x800 which is if I'm not mistaken just over 1MP. If it was tilted on the side I could read an A4 page on it. So doesn't the actual size of the display matter as well?

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Žorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:25 PM   #60
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
OK, there's something I'm not getting in all this. The screen I'm writing this on is a laptop screen, it's about the size of an A4 sheet of paper, it's 1280x800 which is if I'm not mistaken just over 1MP. If it was tilted on the side I could read an A4 page on it.
Correct, 1.02 MP to be little more precise. I too have a laptop with that screen resolution, and find it to be just a tad too low a resolution to display A4/Letter sized PDFs full screen without zooming them in a little (croping the right & left sides). Of course, the size & weight of the laptop has many limitations also

Quote:
So doesn't the actual size of the display matter as well?
Surprisingly, not so much. I've got a Nokia N800 Internet Tablet featuring a 4.1 inch 800x480 screen, which is high enough resolution to display gaming PDFs zoomed in a little beyond "Fit Width", scrolling up & down to read them. While the screen is smaller than your typical Laptop, the LCD dpi is significantly higher (225 dpi vs 110 dpi for a 14" Laptop), resulting in a good crisp image & text which are easy enough to read. So the only real limitation on screen size is whether or not your eyesight is good enough to read text of that size.

So it doesn't really matter if the screen size is 4.25x5.5 in. or 8.5x11.0 in., both are large enough to display a gaming book PDF crisply, provided they have the same resolution. Whether or not you'll need glasses to read the 4.25x5.5 in. screen is another matter.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 05-10-2009 at 04:37 PM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ereader, ereaders, pdf