Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 Digital

Old 09-10-2012, 08:38 PM   #541
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Default Re: Digital eBook reader devices...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Oh, and and anyone on a budget ought to give either the Nexus 7 or the other new Kindle HD devices a good look. Even if it has the same number of pixels than my Asus eee Pad Transformer (TF101) [1280×800], the increased ppi of the Nexus 7 due to it being a 7" device makes reading much more comfortable. The Kindle Fire HD 8.9 with it's 8.9" 1920×1200 display ought to be the best thing next to a new iPad.
Most likely the Kindle Fire HD will be significantly cheaper than the iPad 3 is, because rater than being the product, it will be sold as a platform for products.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:28 AM   #542
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
Most likely the Kindle Fire HD will be significantly cheaper than the iPad 3 is, because rater than being the product, it will be sold as a platform for products.
Indeed. As far as I know, the wifi only Kindle Fire HD 8.9" will retail for $299 for the 16GB model.
My stuff on e23

Last edited by Kuroshima; 10-03-2012 at 03:50 AM.
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:02 AM   #543
RoyHotPower

So are there any AARs the good folks here want to share regarding the Fire HD? I just bought Andrea one for her birthday, and will post my own AAR, but it might be days before I get my grubby fingers around it
Old 11-06-2012, 09:35 AM   #544
RoyHotPower

Just read a few reviews for RepliGo (currently $2.99 on Amazon), which is ported to droid and blackberry right now. Features included zoom, highlighting and adjusting background.

I don't know though what version of droid is supported, but a min is 2.0

Stay tuned
Old 11-06-2012, 11:13 AM   #545
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyHotPower View Post
Just read a few reviews for RepliGo (currently $2.99 on Amazon), which is ported to droid and blackberry right now. Features included zoom, highlighting and adjusting background.

I don't know though what version of droid is supported, but a min is 2.0

Stay tuned
I own both Repligo and exPDF, and both are excellent. I don't see ezPDF lite ($0.99) on the Amazon Appstore (I own the full version). I find that RepliGo suits me better though.

Me, I got a Nexus 7, because for the same price, I prefer being able to access both the Play Store and the Amazon Appstore, instead of just one of them. It is a wonderful device. My father is getting a Nexus 10. I'll post on how it fares once I get the chance to check it ;)
My stuff on e23
Old 11-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #546
mook

I have a Kindle Fire, my first tablet, and I adore it, use it all the time.

I'm giving some thought to the Nexus 10 in a few days, but I'm concerned about not being able to stream Amazon videos on it (Amazon still uses Flash, which I understand the Nexus doesn't natively support). There are workarounds posted around the net, but still ... I may wait a bit to hear people's real world experiences.

One area where tablets shine around the game table is pictures. I used to either print out hardcopy or swivel around the laptop, but it is so wonderful to be able to just conveniently hold up a 7" tablet and say, "You see this man walking toward you.." or "The creature emerging from sewer looks like this."
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #547
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mook View Post
I have a Kindle Fire, my first tablet, and I adore it, use it all the time.

I'm giving some thought to the Nexus 10 in a few days, but I'm concerned about not being able to stream Amazon videos on it (Amazon still uses Flash, which I understand the Nexus doesn't natively support). There are workarounds posted around the net, but still ... I may wait a bit to hear people's real world experiences.

One area where tablets shine around the game table is pictures. I used to either print out hardcopy or swivel around the laptop, but it is so wonderful to be able to just conveniently hold up a 7" tablet and say, "You see this man walking toward you.." or "The creature emerging from sewer looks like this."
Not on the default browser (Chrome) but in Firefox, and in Opera, my Nexus 7 plays Flash videos after sideloading the flash app (available from Adobe's website). That's without rooting it, nor doing anything special, other than checking "allow alternate sources" that you will need to do anyway to access the Amazon Appstore.
My stuff on e23
Old 11-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #548
RoyHotPower

Quote:
...Me, I got a Nexus 7, because for the same price, I prefer being able to access both the Play Store and the Amazon Appstore, instead of just one of them. It is a wonderful device...
My company gave us a holiday today so we could vote (w00t!), so what do I and others in my department do? Go tech shopping!

Long story short, the rock star at Best Buy told me (after spending 45 minutes with him looking at tablets and Windows 8), that since I was impressed with the Galaxy 2.0 that was out of stock, I should consider the Nexus 7, but it is only sold at Staples and Game Stop. [off topic: I was so impressed with this young man I would have loved to offer him a job - Kudos to Plano TX Best Buy for hiring him]

After spending 30 minutes at Staples with the Nexus, I plunked down my plastic.

So I'll give an AAR on both it and the Kindle Fire
Old 11-06-2012, 12:46 PM   #549
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyHotPower View Post
My company gave us a holiday today so we could vote (w00t!), so what do I and others in my department do? Go tech shopping!

Long story short, the rock star at Best Buy told me (after spending 45 minutes with him looking at tablets and Windows 8), that since I was impressed with the Galaxy 2.0 that was out of stock, I should consider the Nexus 7, but it is only sold at Staples and Game Stop. [off topic: I was so impressed with this young man I would have loved to offer him a job - Kudos to Plano TX Best Buy for hiring him]

After spending 30 minutes at Staples with the Nexus, I plunked down my plastic.

So I'll give an AAR on both it and the Kindle Fire
I got mine from the Play Store. How much did they charge you, and what model did you get? I say so because the 16 GB model used to sell for $249, but as of last week, it now sells for $199... (there used to be an 8 GB model, that sold for $199, and that I own).
My stuff on e23
Old 11-06-2012, 12:54 PM   #550
RoyHotPower

Quote:
I got mine from the Play Store. How much did they charge you, and what model did you get? I say so because the 16 GB model used to sell for $249, but as of last week, it now sells for $199... (there used to be an 8 GB model, that sold for $199, and that I own).
I got the 16 GB with jellybean for $199. I assume that since my iPhone4 has 16 GB, this should suit me fine. What are you using for storage/file transfer?

Tags
ereader, ereaders, pdf