Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 10-07-2019, 09:13 PM   #31
cptbutton

Default Re: Why can’t these things be done in Star Wars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I'd also note that Asimov didn't just read science fact columns. He had a degree in chemistry, specializing in biochemistry, and he got his master's in 1941 and his doctorate in 1948.
Asimov had a substantial secondary career writing science fact columns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
I have always been perfectly content to say that Tatooine has, say 20% hydrosphere. It's easy to stereotype a planet when you never got more than a hundred miles away from the landing field. Tatooine is a planet that has a lot of desert. That's fine. It doesn't have to be all-desert.
On cases like these I tend towards charitable interpretations that people are talking casually when they refer to "desert planets" or "ice worlds" and that what they mean is the only interesting or useful parts of the planet are desert or ice.

An "ice world" might have a vibrant warm ocean ecology at the equator, but no land except at the poles.

A "desert world" might have oceans in areas too hot to live in, or at too high atmospheric pressure to live in easily, etc.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:40 AM   #32
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptbutton View Post
Asimov had a substantial secondary career writing science fact columns.
Yes, but that was quite some time after he made up Trantor. But he already had done graduate work before then.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:52 PM   #33
Maximum7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
That doesn't actually answer the questions, though. I like both, too, but I don't look for ways to make SW more like ST, or vice verse, nor either more like B5. I didn't ask which you liked, but which you'd rather game in?

That said, I personally would much rather game in SW than ST. I've tried gaming in both, and found SW more my gaming speed than ST. I'd much rather be a plucky rebel computer-security systems slicer in a starfighter squadron than an exploration cruiser's science or engineering officer. It may be that ST is more your speed, and that's okay, too.
I see where you’re coming from. Someone suggested I RPG Star Trek but I’m more drawn to Star Wars. It had a huge influence on me as a child due to the action; something Star Trek lacked. I still liked watching it though.

From 2008-2010, I was obsessed with the possible applications of the Force so I was very much in sync with the primarily fantasy aspect. However in 2011, I became fascinated with futuristic science and for the last 3 years; I’ve become obsessed with integrating science into Star Wars. I know it’s a poor fit but it’s hard to stop my obsession. I’m currently on the highest level of psychiatric medicine for OCD which I was diagnosed with in 2012. So this is almost 9 years of manic behavior.
Maximum7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:28 PM   #34
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum7 View Post
From 2008-2010, I was obsessed with the possible applications of the Force so I was very much in sync with the primarily fantasy aspect. However in 2011, I became fascinated with futuristic science and for the last 3 years; I’ve become obsessed with integrating science into Star Wars. I know it’s a poor fit but it’s hard to stop my obsession. I’m currently on the highest level of psychiatric medicine for OCD which I was diagnosed with in 2012. So this is almost 9 years of manic behavior.
The science that best fits Star Wars is not futuristic science but some branches of 19th century science. Psychical research is obvious, but I would also point to vitalist biology—the idea that the functions of living organisms cannot be explained by physics and chemistry, but require the presence of a "life force." That idea's quite a close fit to the concept of the Force. You could also relate SW to the concept of qi in Taoist speculations about nature.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
science fiction, science!, star wars, technology, technology level