Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 12-12-2019, 11:14 AM   #1
hcobb

Default Octopus eating tasty humans

This weekend's video will be one standard TFT octopus popping up at close range against a party of four.

I'll credit anybody who sends in a character (and suggested tactics) that I use.

Your budget is 59 CP of attributes, talents, spells and gear by my calculator:

https://www.hcobb.com/tft/tftcalc.html

A standard starting human is 33 CP, so these will be experienced (or at least well equipped) characters.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:19 PM   #2
Skarg

Default Re: Octopus eating tasty humans

Are you going to let the octopus abuse the new Great Advantages of High ST super-cheap ability to one-hand two-handed weapons with only 3 extra ST?
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 01:31 PM   #3
hcobb

Rules as written, but I am leaning towards a Great Sword held in two tentacles as the best way to knock over three humans a turn while only taking one hit in return.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:20 PM   #4
Skarg

Unless you can get your adjDX up to cover the -4 sweeping blow penalty, I'm thinking 3 greatswords and/or pikeaxes would be more optimal.

But I also think it feels wrong to allow one-handing two-handers so easily. Especially for octopus, it reduces the interestingness of the choices. Seems much more sensible and interesting to have a choice to make rather than just going for the largest weapons you can find and having it not matter how many tentacles are used for them.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:13 PM   #5
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Are you going to let the octopus abuse the new Great Advantages of High ST super-cheap ability to one-hand two-handed weapons with only 3 extra ST?
N.B. TFT's creator forbids this in Hexagram 2 p 17.
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 06:08 PM   #6
hcobb

So Greatsword and Small Shield it is.

Recalculating firepower rating.

Human with Broadsword does 3.11 damage per hit and DX 12 hits 23.92% against expert Small Shield defending so the Octopus lives for 26.88 combat rounds.

Five hex sweeping blow hits 5 * 62.5% per turn, averaging 10.5 damage per hit past IQ 8 Small Shield so that's 32.81 damage inflicted per turn.

882 total damage inflicted before it goes down.

Firepower rating is therefore 297

Last edited by hcobb; 12-12-2019 at 06:24 PM.
hcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 11:58 AM   #7
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
N.B. TFT's creator forbids this in Hexagram 2 p 17.
Yay Steve!
Old 12-27-2019, 05:48 AM   #8
David Bofinger

The main octopus tactic seems to be an abbatoir: sweeping blows delivered at one hex range and high DX.

The obvious answering tactic, as is so common in TFT, is polearms. I don't know what the map looks like or whether the octopus pops up already engaging everyone or what, but assuming there's any tactical flexibility then you should be able to disrupt the abbatoir. Perhaps some characters will be charging (and therefore get to attack first) and others will be jabbing. Perhaps only one character will be engaged (and defending) while everyone else jabs from a distance.

A candidate might be ST 15, DX 14, IQ 9; Pole Weapons, Toughness I & II, Knife (why not); Pike Axe, Dagger. Or maybe lose the Toughness and go to DX 15.

Another approach is to get someone into HTH and everyone else stabs into the pile. Mob the octopus: it may be big but it's a 1 hex creature and someone will get in. Then it's pretty much helpless, whether it should be or not: it'll probably spend a lot of time disengaging from HTH and bleeding.

I'm not clear on a lot of the rules for unarmed lizard man HTH, like whether Brawling and Unarmed Combat stack or when doubling happens compared with modifiers. But it might be practical to make something like ST 11, DX 12, IQ 12; Brawling, Unarmed Combat I, Unarmed Combat II, Unarmed Combat III ... I haven't checked this.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 01:42 PM   #9
hcobb

Trying this again with less well equipped human entrees today.

https://youtu.be/fsAwPCD9p94

Last edited by hcobb; 12-28-2019 at 03:53 PM.
hcobb is offline   Reply With Quote