Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-29-2016, 03:42 PM   #11
(E)

Default Re: The Favorite Monster Thread

One of the groups of monsters I had a lot of fun with was inspired by the "Terror Hound"(?) from the old 3rd ed space bestiary. I had a whole evolutionary branch of psionic canines with different breeds having a different power. Fear, illusion, Pyrokinetic, telekinetic (sand) to name a few. Moorhounds, Helldogs, Dire wolves, desertwolves to name a few. Having pack equals Gestalt makes them quite versitile.

Once upon a time I had a very short run monster of the week on the gurps mailing list, some of those monsters stuck around in various forms in various games for a while.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 05:22 PM   #12
mr beer

I like mariliths, the 6-armed demon snakes. They convert nicely to GURPS and always distress my players on their rare appearances.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 05:32 PM   #13
Phantasm

Actually, come to think of it, the "monsters" that pop up every so often in my games are vampires and tribbles....

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 07:50 PM   #14
VariousRen

I'm a fan of dragons of all varieties, used sparingly and with great fanfare. My current game that's been running about two years has featured a single dragon, and the hunt to kill it is one of the events we always reference back to.

Of my own creations my favorite is the Yrtrem (pronounced Yeah-th-rem). It's a sort of a horse sized swamp alligator. It has long stilt legs to hold it's bulk out of the swamp and two eyes on the bottom of it's jaw to look for food in the muck. A pair of long arms (ending in very human like hands) unfold from the side of the torso to pick up food and bring it up to the Yrtrem's jaws. A third eye sits on top of the creatures jaw and swivels constantly, alert for danger. The Yrtrem lacks any preditors, and is notoriously hard to startle or distract. Travelers have been killed when a Yrtrem simply couldn't be bothered to walk around their came, and simply walked through instead.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:20 AM   #15
Bruno

I love Ethereal Stalkers, the art from (IIRC) the Monstrous Compendium is great. They make great Elder Things.

I'm sure very few people here are going to be surprised when I say I like minotaurs, although as monsters I really prefer something better classified as a kind of ogre, or small giant, with the bestial look from the D&D 3e Monster Manual 1. To use them effectively I find you have to play up their slasher-movie attributes, which is really quite difficult if you don't have some NPCs in the party to snatch and kill first.

"What slasher movie attributes?" I hear you say? That's the thing that really annoys me. They're always described as haunting tunnels and building labyrinths to catch prey like some sort of exceedingly complicated Ant Lion, but they don't have any lurking predator attributes. Grump.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 11:32 AM   #16
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

For monsters that aren't specific to GURPS that I have seen done up nicely in GURPS, Scylla is one of my favorites, dragons are always cool, and hordes of weaker monsters like skeletons and orcs are good fun.

Also I freaking love werewolves and rats of all sizes, not necessarily as monsters per se.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:40 PM   #17
Tuk the Weekah

I'm sure my analyst would be able to buy a new motorcycle off this.

When I got back into GMing, my first campaign was a pulp game, and one of the characters was a martial arts expert. I had thought Kato; he stated categorically that he was thinking more of Shang-chi, Master of Kung Fu. So, the big bad for the campaign was his dad, Fu Manchu. Other villains included Fu Manchu's daughter Fah Lo Suee, and a femme fatale assassin whom the group leader accidentally married in a small Egyptian village.

In my next campaign, a Monster Hunters campaign set in the 1860s, a PC's dead wife (whose death he built some psych disads around) turned out to be the Master Vampyre haunting Victorian London. After she died, the new Big Bads became Adam diGenevese (aka: the Creature) and his dear old dad, Victor von Frankenstein, who had unnaturally prolonged his own life via Galvanic Experiments. Did I forget to mention that one of the PCs was the Bride of Frankenstein, and that the rich nobleman PC who was the leader of the group had adopted her after 'rescuing' her from Adam's own lab in Bavaria?

Yeah, so my go-to monsters are all apparently wives & family.
Tuk the Weekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:54 PM   #18
Tallor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuk the Weekah View Post
I'm sure my analyst would be able to buy a new motorcycle off this.

When I got back into GMing, my first campaign was a pulp game, and one of the characters was a martial arts expert. I had thought Kato; he stated categorically that he was thinking more of Shang-chi, Master of Kung Fu. So, the big bad for the campaign was his dad, Fu Manchu. Other villains included Fu Manchu's daughter Fah Lo Suee, and a femme fatale assassin whom the group leader accidentally married in a small Egyptian village.

In my next campaign, a Monster Hunters campaign set in the 1860s, a PC's dead wife (whose death he built some psych disads around) turned out to be the Master Vampyre haunting Victorian London. After she died, the new Big Bads became Adam diGenevese (aka: the Creature) and his dear old dad, Victor von Frankenstein, who had unnaturally prolonged his own life via Galvanic Experiments. Did I forget to mention that one of the PCs was the Bride of Frankenstein, and that the rich nobleman PC who was the leader of the group had adopted her after 'rescuing' her from Adam's own lab in Bavaria?

I told ye we needed GURPS: Aristocrats! :P
Tallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:44 PM   #19
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuk the Weekah View Post
You know the old saying: You can pick your enemies, you can't pick your family.

Or something like that.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:29 PM   #20
zoncxs

No love for the Chrono Spiders? Having one pop up for plot is nice, having several babies swarm is awesome. I have them work like Weeping Angels.

Did I mention my other favorite is a Weeping Angel?
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fanasy, favorite, favorite monster, monster