Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-11-2010, 07:34 AM   #1
Vlad

Default easy one (I think) - illusion disguise and magical items

forgive the basic level of this question, but I didn't see it addressed in a cursory check of the FAQ/threads:

is a magical item essentially hidden from a mage if it is covered by an illusion? If a cloth is insufficient to conceal a magical item, is the illusion of a cloth sufficient?
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:02 AM   #2
Nosforontu

Default Re: easy one (I think) - illusion disguise and magical items

Using the Sense rules from Gurps Campaigns and noting that spotting items deliberately hidden is treated as a contest of skills, I would probably treat it as a simple contest of skill between Disguise self (or other illusion in question) and the Wizards Mage sight.
Nosforontu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:03 AM   #3
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
is a magical item essentially hidden from a mage if it is covered by an illusion?
Sure, why not, though if the mage disbelieves the illusion he'll see through it.

Quote:
If a cloth is insufficient to conceal a magical item, is the illusion of a cloth sufficient?
The illusion of a cloth would only cover the magical item to the same extent as a normal cloth.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:28 AM   #4
Vlad

Thanks, it just seems to be a weird issue that magical items require real, significant (i.e. thick) physical shielding to conceal, but that something apparently ethereal like an illusion can achieve the same effect.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:38 AM   #5
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Thanks, it just seems to be a weird issue that magical items require real, significant (i.e. thick) physical shielding to conceal, but that something apparently ethereal like an illusion can achieve the same effect.
Where are you reading of the need for a significant physical shielding for concealment?
Old 08-11-2010, 10:06 AM   #6
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha
Where are you reading of the need for a significant physical shielding for concealment?
He might be taking it from the text of the Mage Sight spell, which is described as "essentially a more reliable version of the magical sense that comes with Magery 0". I have not taken that to mean that mages can use their innate detect through light cover, though, since it is Sight/Touch-based.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:11 AM   #7
Anaraxes

The illusion spell would be itself detectable, though, as there's nothing covering it, while it covers the magic of the item. You could perhaps make the Uber-sword of All Time look like an ordinary sword, covered by an illusion for some reason, which is going to attract attention. Or, more cleverly, make it look like Ye Olde +1 Sword of Apprentice Enchanter Practice, to explain a magic aura (if your mages aren't the analytical type). Or you could start layering things. It's an illusion of a rock to hide the magic sword that's really the Uberblade that's actually an illusion covering the demon that wants to be carried out of the dungeon.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
illusion, magical items