Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-24-2014, 09:08 AM   #9
ldj00

Default Re: My fault the SHVYs are underpriced

Hello,

My take on why tank destroyers (ie, jagdpanter, sturmgeschutz,etc) are not seen as a modern armored vehicle is the anti-tank missile. That is the modern, cheap, tank destroyer. Mounted on HMMVs, APCs, IFVs, helicopters, etc, it is the modern equivalent and is much more versatile.

You could also argue that wheeled tanks are much cheaper than the tracked tanks, and might also fill that role for some forces.

Turrets are much easier to make now, and the cost and manufacturing delay for building a turreted tank is not the factor it was for Germany then. Maybe it is for some periods of the OGRE setting, but I do not think so.

Turrets also make tanks much more flexible, and with modern targeting systems, firing accurately on the move is a given, not a question.

I also think the scale that OGRE is played at has a lot to do with it.

We would need to look at the cost of a Infantry Heavy Weapons Team (HWT) vs a Heavy Tank (HT). The ratio would need to be computed of how easily the HWT can take out the HT to the cost of each unit, both in Armor Units (AU) and Victory Points (VP), to see how 'cheap' the HWT is compared to the HT.