Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 01-26-2011, 06:02 AM   #211
Ze'Manel Cunha

Default Re: Linear vs curved dice mechanics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
This is contrary to Ze's assertion that you can't even call it a system without mods or MOS, and that it would fail.
You should read my post again if you think that was an assertion.

Besides, since I used to play and run both Mind's Eye and Amber diceless, as well as other LARPS, I can say without any issue that LARPS are not comparable to tabletop games mechanics wise, and when you're running diceless you're pretty much running on judgment not mechanics.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:51 PM   #212
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
You should read my post again if you think that was an assertion.

Besides, since I used to play and run both Mind's Eye and Amber diceless, as well as other LARPS, I can say without any issue that LARPS are not comparable to tabletop games mechanics wise, and when you're running diceless you're pretty much running on judgment not mechanics.
I've seen MET run as a tabletop game without issue. It's mechanically robust enough for it. And BTRC's Epiphany was a tabletop game with very LARP-like rules.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:02 PM   #213
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
I've seen MET run as a tabletop game without issue. It's mechanically robust enough for it. And BTRC's Epiphany was a tabletop game with very LARP-like rules.
As I said, I've run diceless without issue too, the resolution mechanic is judgment by the storyteller, not game mechanics.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:38 PM   #214
Anthony

It's possible to do something like MET in a way that's not purely GM fiat. What a system basically requires is some way of indicating that some tasks are more difficult than others, and some characters are better than others. I believe MET uses a descriptor system where you get a number of retries based on the number of relevant descriptors, though I haven't actually played the game.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:32 PM   #215
Hans Rancke-Madsen

I may have forgotten it, but as far as I can recall, TOON doesn't have any modifiers to its rolls. It certainly doesn't have any to its "50% rule" rolls.

Hans
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:36 PM   #216
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Rancke-Madsen View Post
I may have forgotten it, but as far as I can recall, TOON doesn't have any modifiers to its rolls. It certainly doesn't have any to its "50% rule" rolls.

Hans
When the biggest argument against is ability for Suspension of Disbelief you really want to use Toon as an example?
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:45 PM   #217
Hans Rancke-Madsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
When the biggest argument against is ability for Suspension of Disbelief you really want to use Toon as an example?
If I was trying to refute the SoD argument I would not. But I wasn't[*]. I was trying to refute the implication that it can't be a system if it doesn't have modifiers.
[*] Since I'm perfectly capable of suspending my disbelief in some of the systems that use linear die rolls and have problems with some systems that use multiple dice, I consider that argument to be in the realm of of personal opinion and have neither the interest in refuting it nor the belief that attempting to do so is anything other than futile.

Hans
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:36 PM   #218
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Rancke-Madsen View Post

Hans
Toon has whatever modifiers the Animator feels like throwing in (excepting, as you say, on the 50% rule). It just has few if any pre-set ones. (Although I think the Tooniversal Tour Guide had some exceptions to that; it's been a while.)

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dice mechanics