Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-12-2009, 12:34 AM   #1
hari

Default Ritual Magic built with Psionics

Of course, it wouldn't be magic per se. There would be no mana and no skills requiring magery. I imagine a group of people, none of whom necessarily have any real psionic ability, coming together to perform a ritual that will grant them short term psionic abilities. Why try to create something like this? Because I want a psionic world without magic, but with something at least resembling ritual magic. Why not just handle it all with Powers and avoid the complication that psionics present? Because I like psionics! I like the extra layers of detail that psionics give. I like how they are more low key and less attention grabbing than normal powers. I could go on about it for a little while, I tend to often be too wordy. But let me just show you what I have in mind, mechanically speaking.

It's not a psionic power so much as a new way to access psionic powers. It would simply be Modular Abilities, Cosmic Power with psionics only, -20%; preperation required, -50%; a stronger signature (rituals leave quite a strong psychic impression) and an enhancement that allows people with the advantage to pool their resources together.

It would be an advantage that costs two character points per level. Each level would contribute one character point towards the total number of character points that the performer of the ritual can use to gain temporary psionic abilities. The ritual's performer may have scarcely more psionic powers than the participants and observers of the ritual, but will still be able to call upon potent psionic powers. I mainly see it as being used in a religious context: by church choirs, strange cults and low tech village celebrations. The majority of characters with this advantage, of course, are mostly unconscious of having it, they are simply marked by having particularly strong faith.

What do you think? Can anyone help me stat those modifiers? Stronger signature and being able to pool abilities together? The aim is to have a total of -80%, leaving a cost of two character points (although I'd love to get it down to one CP and therefore be able to offer it as a perk). Aside from that, any comments, complaints or criticisms?

“The limits of my language mean the limits of my world”
hari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:39 AM   #2
Anaraxes

Default Re: Ritual Magic built with Psionics

Sounds like Camber of Culdi. (Not even the first three Kelson books, and certainly not the ones that follow.)

To be really RAW about it, the ability to pool resources might be built on Afflicting more Modular Ability points on the lead psionic. I'd work out the cost that way just to get a point ratio, and then write it up as a new advantage described as you have it (just to hide the messy details).

You might be interested in "Immediate Preparation Required" instead of regular Prep Required. It's in Psionic Powers, or you can find it here:

http://www.mygurps.com/h_prepreq.html

IPR is better suited for powers that take effect at the completion of the ritual. Regular PR is more like charging up powers for the day, a la D&D "Vancian" magic or requiring your psis to meditate at dawn.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:50 AM   #3
hari

I have no clue what Camber of Culdi is, but I like the idea that what I have in mind might be easier to picture with the aid of someone else's work. I did a Wikipedia search for it but it only went so far as to say that there was a race with "inherent psychic and magical abilities". I'd be curious to hear more.

I agree that Immediate Preparation Required is better. I'll have to dig it up in Psionic Powers. As far as Afflicting Modular Ability is concerned, it's at the very least a good idea to try. I agree that it seems much more in line with RAW, despite being a little messy.

“The limits of my language mean the limits of my world”
hari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:53 AM   #4
Anaraxes

The "Deryni" novels by Katherine Kurtz, in particular "Camber of Culdi", "Saint Camber", and "Camber the Heretic".

http://www.amazon.com/gp/series/75/r...=mass%5Fmarket

The Deryni are a magical race that look like humans and share their kingdoms. Magic in the stories is mostly ritualized, with specific sequences of actions and objects required to produce effects. The feel of it suits psionics rules more than most magic systems. Characters tend to go into trances, or rapport with each other, leave psychic impressions for messages, pick locks (as with TK). There are often visible effects of the aura or nimbus of power sort, but rarely fireballs and such.

The first three "Kelson" books (same world, set a bit later, though I think they were written first) feels a lot more like typical fantasy magic. I never made it through the whole line of books after that. It got a bit soap-operatic for my taste.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:11 PM   #5
Exeter

Why not just take Ritual Magic from Thaumatology, cross out where it says "mage" or "magician," write in "psionicist," and change "Magery" to a (made for your campaign) "Psionics talent" advantage? In other words, if you want Ritual Magic, just use Ritual Magic and paper over the terminology.
Exeter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic, psionics