Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-29-2009, 03:05 PM   #21
Exeter

Default Re: What spells cant be duplicated by powers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
Well, there's no setting-independent point cost for that, but if you know the setting, you can figure the maximum damage likely to need to be stopped and figure an appropriate DR.
I can't see any obvious way to model a force field with "infinite" DR, so, I suppose I have to concede the point. OTOH, I don't really think it's a bad thing that you can't model something with infinite DR using Powers. In other words, I think it's more of a feature of using Powers than a bug.
Exeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:08 PM   #22
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
If it stops damage, do it with DR: DR with FF, limited to missiles, and sufficient to stop max damage from any missile in the setting. Because "missile" isn't defined in the spell, GMs must define what is stopped by the spell and what isn't. Setting a MAX damage that the spell will stop will do it.
It doesn't stop missiles, it deflects them to one side. So the bullets/arrows/rocks/etc will go on to hit something else.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:09 PM   #23
Exeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2 View Post
Missile Shield. I've been trying but I've failed repeatedly. It seems a perfect match for Telekinesis, but I can't work it out.
Have it be an Affliction that grants some temporary DR with the Reflection enhancement. Also add the "vs. ranged only" limitation.
Exeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:12 PM   #24
Brandy

Quote:
It doesn't stop missiles, it deflects them to one side. So the bullets/arrows/rocks/etc will go on to hit something else.
If you think thats an important feature of the spell, then it is either a +0% feature of the special effect or the spell or a very small limitation on the DR (-5% seems more correct than -10%, but to me its just a feature).

As a GM, I don't find that an important component of the spell. YMMV.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:16 PM   #25
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exeter View Post
Have it be an Affliction that grants some temporary DR with the Reflection enhancement. Also add the "vs. ranged only" limitation.
Actually, it would be more efficient to Afflict the missile itself with 'turnaround' . . .
Old 06-29-2009, 07:55 PM   #26
vitruvian

Quote:
So, make it Insubstantiality with all the enhancements needed so you can still affect the physical world normally, and a limitation that it doesn't work against anything but missiles. The special effect is that missiles are deflected around you rather than phasing through you.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:38 PM   #27
pawsplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exeter View Post
I can't see any obvious way to model a force field with "infinite" DR, so, I suppose I have to concede the point. OTOH, I don't really think it's a bad thing that you can't model something with infinite DR using Powers. In other words, I think it's more of a feature of using Powers than a bug.
It's worth observing that the Palladium Fantasy RPG had a spell that created an indestructible barrier. The Rifts version merely assigns it a thousand MDC or so. I don't think Utter Dome is literally indestructible; can it halt a nuclear strike? Thor's hammer? A powerful disintegration spell?
pawsplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:48 PM   #28
Gudiomen

I haven't found any way to emulate the Steal [Atribute] spells, specially while maintaining open-endedness. Tried my hand using Leech and Neutralize, nothing satisfactory.
Gudiomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:08 AM   #29
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawsplay View Post
It's worth observing that the Palladium Fantasy RPG had a spell that created an indestructible barrier. The Rifts version merely assigns it a thousand MDC or so. I don't think Utter Dome is literally indestructible; can it halt a nuclear strike? Thor's hammer? A powerful disintegration spell?
Uh, you can use a set of Utter Domes to protect a stardestroyer . . . ;)
Old 06-30-2009, 01:41 AM   #30
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawsplay View Post
Nuclear strike yes, Thors hammer is enchanted though and disntegration wouldnt affect it but could go through it.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, magic, powers, spells