Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-06-2017, 04:03 PM   #1
baakyocalder

Default Has Anyone Done a GURPS Mage The Ascension Workup For GURPS 4e

I like GURPS and I like the concepts and flavor of Mage: The Ascension. I used to own GURPS Mage The Ascension, a GURPS 3e book that is OOP.

I know GURPS 4e realm magic in Thaumaturgy implied you could create something like Mage the Ascension.

Has anyone worked up Mage the Ascension style magic for GURPS 4e?

Thanks.

Waiting For: Schedule Sanity to Play Car Wars and my Fnordcon special alt Car Wars cards!
baakyocalder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 04:23 PM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Has Anyone Done a GURPS Mage The Ascension Workup For GURPS 4e

It's really pretty easy with Thaumatology, pp179-184 and 188-195. You need a copy of M:tA, too.

You take the nine M:tA Spheres, which are Realms in Thaumatology. Each of them comes in five levels, plus another one for godlike beings. The base cost for each level (p189) is 60/5 = 12 points. With nine realms, and few or no weaknesses, the table on p190 says the levels are at base cost.

Each Sphere has an associated skill, per p188, and you roll against that to use the Sphere. The modifiers to skill rolls are on pp180-184. Paradox is modelled with "Reactive Reality," p193. Rotes are "Techniques," also p193. It's all there.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:25 PM   #3
baakyocalder

I have both books. Thank you for the advice-working Paradox and trying to map the levels were conceptual blocks from when I first picked up Thaumatology.

I think I can work up a GURPS Mage campaign now--I had a great one before OWoD ended.

Waiting For: Schedule Sanity to Play Car Wars and my Fnordcon special alt Car Wars cards!
baakyocalder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 03:10 AM   #4
dataweaver

Historical footnote: Realm Magic does the job so well because Realm Magic came from GURPS Mage the Ascension, with the serial numbers removed. Even Mage's but about foci is in there as an optional rule.

If you want to more closely model MtA, ditch the Realm Skills; instead, always roll 10+Magery (or maybe 10+2×Magery?). Also, calculate the price of Realms as if there were six levels; but allow levels to go up to ten. Use M20 to determine what the first five levels can do, and Masters of the Art to determine what the last five can do.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:58 AM   #5
khorboth

When I ran mine, I based it on 6 levels containing full mastery, but only allowed PCs to obtain 5. It was in keeping with the source material and made the pricing of realm magic work.

I also didn't charge energy for coincidental magic. non-cannon in GURPS, but it kept the WoD flavor.
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:44 AM   #6
dataweaver

Now that you mention it, the source material doesn't charge energy costs at all; but it makes extensive use of what Thaumatology calls Raw Magic, which MtA calls Quintessence.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:05 PM   #7
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
Now that you mention it, the source material doesn't charge energy costs at all; but it makes extensive use of what Thaumatology calls Raw Magic, which MtA calls Quintessence.
I would use Threshold-limited mana and explain it as reality reacting to the mage's use of magic.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:21 PM   #8
dataweaver

Note that the realm magic rules already include reactive reality. Not saying that you shouldn't try the threshold magic idea, but it's potentially redundant.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:37 PM   #9
Anders

Realm magic can include reactive reality, but it's not a necessary part of it. It works perfectly well without it.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:41 PM   #10
dataweaver

I know. Let me clarify: my goal in this thread is to get as close to Mage: the Ascension as 4e's rules will allow. Thus if I'm given a choice between Reactive Reality (which was cribbed from GMtA3e) and Threshold Magic, I'm inclined to go with the former no matter how much I like the latter.

Tags
gurps mage the ascension, mage the ascension, realm magic