Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-26-2016, 04:29 AM   #1
Cyanide

Default Help with making a Multimillionaire II PC in a 150pt game

So I just started playing a TL5 GURPS game set in Sigil of Planescape. It's my first time using this system and I've been searching through the forums for advice on playing a ridiculously wealthy character alongside a team of not-so-wealthy characters so I want to get some clarification and advice from people who have played this longer.

So my character is a Count Dracula style aristocrat and has:

Note: This is out of date. Updated list is at the bottom of this post.

Wealth (Multimillionaire II) (Attracts Threats: Thieves -10%) [90], Rank 6 (Accessibility: Sensates -30%) [14]; Social Regard [Provided by Rank 6]; Independent Income 10 (Transportation Services and Rug Manufacturing, Distribution, and Consultation) [10]; Allies (Patsy, Winston, Cocoa Beans Esq.) [15]; Talent (Business Acumen) [10]; Charisma +4 [20]; Unaging [15]

The GM has cleared my character sheet but we've been confused about a few things. My questions are:

1) Is there anything against taking modifiers for wealth? Since my money is mostly tied up in my huge enterprise, I figured maybe the limitation on it taking a few hours to access my money would be appropriate but I felt like that was kinda cheating. I just put "Attracts Threats: Thieves" to see how it plays out and give room to have encounters happen.

2) I took Independent Income and listed the business I'm in, thinking that is how I'll maintain wealth. But from other threads I've seen, am I right to understand that your job isn't the same as Independent Income? The cost of living at Status 6 is huge and would bankrupt me in months even with my Independent Income. If the business I run is separate from Independent Income, then is there a way to calculate how much my industry will be making every month?

3) Allies can be anything from horses to buildings to vehicles, right? Instead of paying points to make a sweet carriage to ride in as an ally, can commissioning one with money be just as good, or will spending points and making them an ally always be better? Also if I paid 5 points a piece for my humanoid companions, that means I get my full starting point value to kit them out with advantages and skills, right? So my jester, Cocoa Beans Esq., can have functional bardic abilities and participate in the party's activities from time to time?

4) To anyone who has played wealthy characters before, are there any absolute must-have advantages or skills that I should take on this character? Having lots of money is one thing. The rest of my party isn't that rich. If you know anything about the factions in Planescape, being part of the Sensates gives me great reason to personally go adventuring with the party, but beyond my money I don't have much to offer out in the crazy worlds we'll go to. Are there any basic skills that are often overlooked by many players, but are almost universally useful? What about stuff that I definitely should have in my character concept's position? There are so many options.

5) In regards to the skill cost table on page 170, I was looking at how the scaling of skills works and it feels weird that you can never have just a -1, -2, or -3 to an easy skill check. I feel like there should be a way to buy that since it's still an improvement over a -4 default. I know 1 point for basically a +4 is a good deal, but some esoteric things could probably stand to sit at -1 or -2. Is there any way to be slightly better in the skill or does it pretty much demand the 1 point investment to improve it over the default -4?

Thanks for the help.

Edit: Taking the advice I've been given as of August 30th, here's my character now has:

Count-Factor of the Sensates
Attributes ST:0 DX:0 IQ:+1 [20] HT:0
Advantages: Wealth (Multimillionaire II) [100]; Rank 2 (Sensates: Factor) [4]; Status 6 (Wealth +3, Rank +1) [10]; Independent Income 10 (Prominent investor) [10]; Allies (Patsy, Winston, Cocoa Beans Esq.) [15]; Talent (Business Acumen) [10]; Charisma +4 [20]; Contacts (Allied factions, Merchants guild) [4]; Acute Senses: Hearing+4 [8]; Eidetic Memory [5]; Gizmos (3) [15]; Intuition [15]; Rapier Wit [5]; Voice [10];

Skills: Administration [2]; Area Knowledge [1]; Finance [1]; Carousing [1]; Connoisseur [1]; Current Affairs [1]; Economics [2]; First Aid [1]; Finance [2]; Leadership [2]; Politics [1]; Public Speaking [1]; Savoir Faire [1]; Streetwise [1]; Teaching [1]

Disadvantages: Duty [-5]; Blindness [-50]; Charitable [-15]; Curious [-5]

Last edited by Cyanide; 08-31-2016 at 05:47 PM.
Cyanide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 04:35 AM   #2
Celjabba

Default Re: Help with making a Multimillionaire II PC in a 150pt game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanide View Post

5) In regards to the skill cost table on page 170, I was looking at how the scaling of skills works and it feels weird that you can never have just a -1, -2, or -3 to an easy skill check. I feel like there should be a way to buy that since it's still an improvement over a -4 default. I know 1 point for basically a +4 is a good deal, but some esoteric things could probably stand to sit at -1 or -2. Is there any way to be slightly better in the skill or does it pretty much demand the 1 point investment to improve it over the default -4?

Thanks for the help.
For less than 1 CP in skill, see the dabbler perk.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 04:53 AM   #3
McAllister

1) I've never heard of it, but I don't have a problem with it. Attracting thieves (I'd generalize it to rabble-rousing populists, too) seems like a fine nuisance effect. I don't know how I'd model "needs time to access money," but since you aren't earning points for it, I'd say you can casually access thousands of dollars and arrange for more than that within a day or so. Seriously, you're freaking loaded.

2) Independent Income is separate from any job you do: you never need to show up at work to cash in on your II. Having a high Wealth multiplies the income you earn working: your multiplier is x10,000. This isn't written anywhere, but I'd say having a high Rank should entitle you to a well-paid position compared to others in the same TL: since the range for TL5 is $800-1,600 per hour, let's say you earn $15,000,000 per hour. That should be enough to live on even if you take Fridays off to adventure!

3) Allies and employees are fundamentally different. I'd say the differences boil down to "plot protection," such that the GM shouldn't screw you out of your Allies without a damn good reason, but employees are fundamentally untrustworthy. You'll probably want to pay at least 15 points per ally so they show up on a roll of 15 or less, but yes, those allies are built on your full point value, so they can do whatever fits the campaign, per RAW. Just try not to occupy too much spotlight with your personal mini-party and you should be fine.

4) You've got some good social stuff. Voice is fun, and other advantages that help you smooth-talk people even when they don't care about your money. For the most part, though, it looks like you're pretty well-positioned to have your Allies help out with the heavy lifting so the PC can just take Do Nothing actions in the back with a pair of pom-poms.

5) Celjabba beat me to this one.
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 07:57 AM   #4
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Wealth (Multimillionaire II) (Attracts Threats: Thieves -10%) [90],
Wealth already attracts thieves by it's very nature, especially in corrupt societies such as Sigil. The only way a limitation can be justified is if you're attracting thieves way more often than a normal Multimillionaire would.

Quote:
Rank 6 (Accessibility: Sensates -30%) [14];
Rank is already limited to one organisation, you can't take it as a limitation, each Faction will have it's own separate Rank structure.

Quote:
Social Regard [Provided by Rank 6];
Rank doesn't provide Social Regard, it provides Status. With Rank 6 and Multimillionaire II you have status 5 by default for 0 points.

Quote:
2) I took Independent Income and listed the business I'm in, thinking that is how I'll maintain wealth. But from other threads I've seen, am I right to understand that your job isn't the same as Independent Income?
Yes, Independent Income is separate from any job you do.

Quote:
The cost of living at Status 6 is huge and would bankrupt me in months even with my Independent Income.
You have Status 5, unless you spend 5 points to buy it up to Status 6.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:18 AM   #5
Michael Thayne

Based on what you've said, I would take:

Multimillionaire 2 [100]
Status 5 [10]
Independent Income 12 [12]

I'd say Rank is unnecessary unless your character has political authority beyond the land he or she owns outright. Details are up to the GM, but cost of living should buy you quite a few guards for your estate (which also comes out of cost of living).

It's generally advisable to take about 50 points in skills, and -50 in disadvantages. That leaves you with 28 points to spend on other Attributes, Advantages, and Secondary Characteristics. If the results of doing that don't satisfy you, consider settling for Multimillionaire 1 and saving yourself 25 points.

EDIT: Fixed math error on II.

Last edited by Michael Thayne; 08-26-2016 at 12:08 PM.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:26 AM   #6
Kalzazz

I don't think I've ever taken 50pts in skills on a 150pt character and often not that many on a higher point character

I usually but not always try for a 50/50 split on skills . . . . put half my skill points in my favorite skill (Broadsword, Public Speaking, Research . . . whatever is the top skill for the character), half in the other skills

Admittedly, I think last time I made a 150pt character I think I put like 24pts into Guns (Rifle) and like 10pts in other stuff

A thing to look out for is Talents, they can really help focus in on an idea

Last edited by Kalzazz; 08-26-2016 at 09:29 AM.
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:54 AM   #7
Donny Brook

Quote:
So I just started playing a TL5 GURPS game set in Sigil of Planescape. It's my first time using this system and I've been searching through the forums for advice on playing a ridiculously wealthy character alongside a team of not-so-wealthy characters so I want to get some clarification and advice from people who have played this longer.

So my character is a Count Dracula style aristocrat and has:

Wealth (Multimillionaire II) (Attracts Threats: Thieves -10%) [90], Rank 6 (Accessibility: Sensates -30%) [14]; Social Regard [Provided by Rank 6]; Independent Income 10 (Transportation Services and Rug Manufacturing, Distribution, and Consultation) [10]; Allies (Patsy, Winston, Cocoa Beans Esq.) [15]; Talent (Business Acumen) [10]; Charisma +4 [20]; Unaging [15]

The GM has cleared my character sheet but we've been confused about a few things. My questions are:

Thanks for the help.
1) Your access to your money is a function of the in-game arrangements your character has made or is presumed to have (see Cost of Living). Your Wealth advantage is something different. It is a metagame insertion of your character at a certain stratum in the setting's economy, plus a multiplier of your starting money. There's no rule against putting modifiers on it, I suppose, if you can figure out a way that makes sense in recognition of what Wealth really is.

2) Yes, Independent Income is different and separate from any job your character holds. There are rules provided for how to get and conduct a job in GURPS. This aspect of the game is usually managed by the GM. Check with him/her about implementation.

3) Allies are built just like PCs with whatever point value corresponds to the level you buy. They are operated by the GM, but for your character's benefit. They are definitely supposed to come along with you on your adventures. They are a part your character's story in the campaign.

4) Depending on the campaign, it may be required or sensible to have the skills needed to understand, manage and protect your fortune. Or it may be something that is purely in the background. Generically, you may want people-management skills (Diplomacy, Leadership, Psychology, Body Language, Detect Lies, and in your position, Savoir Faire), you may want to operate the kool tech you will be buying (Electronics Operation, Computer skills, Driving, Piloting, Boating), you should be able to acquit yourself reasonably well in whatever kind of fights you might anticipate (skill level 12+ in a HTH skill, a ranged weapon skill, and a melee weapon skill if possible), and to fill uncovered niches you can consider either being an acknowledged master of some single skill, or fill up on Easy skills that might be neglected and take a look at the Dabbler perk.

5) See the Dabbler perk for this reason also.

Edit: You can choose your status based on what level of lifestyle your Independent Income will cover. You get $5,000,000/mo which is pretty close to the $6,000,000 specified for Status 6 in the chart on B265. You've just got to hustle for that spare $1M to keep out of the red.

Last edited by Donny Brook; 08-26-2016 at 10:04 AM.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:51 AM   #8
Gef

You need Contacts.
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 12:12 PM   #9
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
I don't think I've ever taken 50pts in skills on a 150pt character and often not that many on a higher point character

I usually but not always try for a 50/50 split on skills . . . . put half my skill points in my favorite skill (Broadsword, Public Speaking, Research . . . whatever is the top skill for the character), half in the other skills

Admittedly, I think last time I made a 150pt character I think I put like 24pts into Guns (Rifle) and like 10pts in other stuff

A thing to look out for is Talents, they can really help focus in on an idea
It's meant to be an approximation, but character optimization math tends to favor something like it. Your sharpshooter, character, would have been poorly optimized if you bought up IQ at all. Meanwhile if you have 100 points in skills you should probably tone that down and buy up Attributes / Secondary Characteristics / Talent.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:12 PM   #10
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
Edit: You can choose your status based on what level of lifestyle your Independent Income will cover. You get $5,000,000/mo which is pretty close to the $6,000,000 specified for Status 6 in the chart on B265. You've just got to hustle for that spare $1M to keep out of the red.
Or just get Independent Income 12. (I made this mistake initially and fixed it in my post above.)