Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-29-2012, 05:03 AM   #1
Pomphis

Default New Perk Question

I am playing around with a style concentrating on defense. A mage may use Counterspell, Ward and Great Ward only against spells known by him at skill-12. I want mages who are capable of defending against various spells, but who cannot use those spells. So I am contemplating a perk "Counter-X", where X is a specific spell, which would permit the use of Counterspell, Ward and Great ward against X. Any opinions on whether this is balanced ?

The perk might also be available for mages with limited magery for spells they could usually not learn.
Pomphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:34 AM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: New Perk Question

I think that would be fine.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:45 AM   #3
Figleaf23
Banned

Mages with sufficiently high IQ!+Magery to get skill 12 for 1 point would be better off buying the spell rather than the perk.

I once tinkered with the idea of making the Counterspell roll possible based on possession of a spells prerequisites at a -2 modifier per missing spell. So to counter a spell with three prerequisites of which you had one you'd be at -6 (-2 for each of the prerequisites you're missing, and -2 for missing the spell you are countering).

For spells with no prerequisites, you can make the Countering attempt if you have at least 4 CP in the College.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:01 AM   #4
wellspring

You could do a "powers as magic" and buy Magic Resistance with a bouquet of modifiers in Thaumatology to limit it to certain colleges (or whatever other broad category of spells you'd like to eliminate), make it switchable and not interfere with Magery-- in other words, to make it more spell-like and less power-like.
wellspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:40 AM   #5
Bruno

I believe style-familiarity lets you Counterspell/Ward against any spell in the style, although I can't recall if it's "only when cast by a fellow stylist". That's one perk, for all the spells in the style, possibly with a condition.

That tells you how broad that perk should be - very broad.

Take a style perk for each style you want to counter, or if you want to counter them universally, charge ~3x or 5x as much for the perk (ie 3pt or 5pt advantage to counter any spell in style XYZ, regardless of who casts it).
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:01 AM   #6
Witchking

I usually use a Homebrew Perk in addition to Styles and Style Familiarity:

Theoretical Familiarity you have knowledge of theory and underpinnings of Magical College X...you may not know (but are not prohibited from knowing) the spells of this College; but your theoretical grounding allows you to Ward and Counter they spells from this College as if they were "known" spells.

FREX

Theoretical Familiary Mind Control College (1 pt)

feel free to loot and pillage...
Old 05-29-2012, 07:31 AM   #7
Pomphis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
Mages with sufficiently high IQ!+Magery to get skill 12 for 1 point would be better off buying the spell rather than the perk.
Yes - provided they know all prerequisites.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:33 AM   #8
Pomphis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I believe style-familiarity lets you Counterspell/Ward against any spell in the style, although I can't recall if it's "only when cast by a fellow stylist". That's one perk, for all the spells in the style, possibly with a condition.

That tells you how broad that perk should be - very broad.
Thanks. I had forgotten Magical Styles p.20.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:48 AM   #9
whswhs

I don't see the utility. A perk that lets you defend against spell X costs 1 point. But for 1 point, you can learn spell X at (IQ+Magery-2), which will let you defend against it, and also let you cast spell X. I can't see how the perk could ever be a good choice in character creation.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:14 AM   #10
Onkl

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I don't see the utility. A perk that lets you defend against spell X costs 1 point. But for 1 point, you can learn spell X at (IQ+Magery-2), which will let you defend against it, and also let you cast spell X. I can't see how the perk could ever be a good choice in character creation.

Bill Stoddard
I don't know how exactly this perk would work, but I can see the utility if there are no prerequisites (spell wise) for the perk.
Onkl is offline   Reply With Quote