Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-19-2017, 12:00 PM   #1
RicoZaid

Default Need Supers Character Review (new player)

This is my first attempt at GURPS supers. 600 pts.

Please look over this character and let me know if I made any game/math mistakes or if you have general advice. There is a PDF but I have also included the .gcs file (from the GURPS Character Sheet application).

Basically he flies, blasts, and makes force walls to protect others/himself. I tried out the Damage Resistance useable on others (via affliction) to buff but it was too expensive. I like the Force Wall better since it allows me to affect the environment too.

Thanks! :D

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...DA?usp=sharing

Last edited by RicoZaid; 06-19-2017 at 12:08 PM.
RicoZaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:09 PM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: Need Supers Character Review (new player)

Not a mistake, exactly, but I'm surprised you didn't give him a Power Talent. It looks as if he has two powers, Vision and Kinetic Energy/Force Manipulation; I'd probably call either a 5-point Talent, with each level giving +1 to associated dice rolls. They would also benefit Power Blocks, which could double his levels of Protected Visual or of his force shield. The basic concept is sketched out in the Basic Set and worked out more fully in GURPS Powers, and the rules for Power Blocks are in GURPS Powers.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:13 PM   #3
Phantasm

I second what Bill said.

Also a few questions:

Any particular reason you went with "Magic, -10%" for the power modifier, and not some other PM? (For example, "Super, -10%" or perhaps "Passive Biological, -5%" on some of the more passive vision-related stuff and extra HP.) (It's okay if it is a placeholder for something GCS doesn't have in it; I don't know GCS like I should, preferring GCA....)

Farming/TL4? When is this game set? Or did you simply forget to adjust the program's TL setting for a more "modern" setting? IME, most supers games are TL6 (WWII) through TL 9 (cyberpunk), so "TL4" - the Age of Sail - raises some eyebrows.

Other than that, looks fairly good.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:19 PM   #4
RicoZaid

Thanks for the replies.

I'll read up Power Talent & Power Blocks and see if I can implement those.

Farming. TL 4 was the default in the builder. Game is TL 6. He has primitive farming since he's from a 3rd world country but "the Age of Sail " might be TOO primitive lol.

"Magic, -10%" was the GM's advice since his powers come from a magic origin.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:18 PM   #5
zoncxs

I am intrigued, can we get some background on this super that could explain his powers?

He has a force field that protects everything he wears with a DR of 18 (including himself), and an additional DR of 18 that only protects him which also has an armor divisor of 2. Is this what you intended?
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:08 PM   #6
khorboth

In my experience, most people who take cooking are really looking for housekeeping. Cooking is really for a commercial kitchen while housekeeping covers cooking for a family as well as a variety of other domestic chores.
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:27 PM   #7
RicoZaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
I am intrigued, can we get some background on this super that could explain his powers?

He has a force field that protects everything he wears with a DR of 18 (including himself), and an additional DR of 18 that only protects him which also has an armor divisor of 2. Is this what you intended?
Yea, I think you can have multiple layers of DR. I think he'll have 27 DR when hit with an attack that halves DR.

I didn't write out the exact source of the power besides it being an unknown, ancient Mayan magic but here's the rough draft of the character at background, feel free to comment, I don't write very well...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eE...yKggflciy4CPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by khorboth View Post
In my experience, most people who take cooking are really looking for housekeeping. Cooking is really for a commercial kitchen while housekeeping covers cooking for a family as well as a variety of other domestic chores.
Yup, he's a commercial cook.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:37 AM   #8
CeeDub

Nice. Still don't really have a grasp of the high concept of his powers. From what I can tell, he's basically... a Reinhardt (Overwatch) of sorts? With really sharp senses?

I think he's a little light on skills. Defaulting on pretty much everything will cause a lot of frustration and failure, I predict.

I'm not an orphan, nor do I personally know anyone who is, but the media universally portrays "The System" in the U.S., especially group homes, as a Nightmare From Hell for orphans. No idea what the Mexican system is like, but I find it difficult to believe that he has such fond memories of the place. Sure, he may have bonded with Maria (an individual) there, but his life goal of anonymously funding the place itself (the institution) seems odd to me.

ETA: Especially if the game is TL6. Victorian orphanages were unimaginably bad by today's standards. I don't think American orphanages of that time were much better.
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:23 AM   #9
Celjabba

Nice character.
He would benefits from a few more skills:

Kromm's list of skills every adventurer ought to have

http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...8&postcount=22
and
http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...97&postcount=4

Regarding the wall of force :

I believe that if you want to throw several walls in a turn, you need to upgrade the rate of fire, and take multistrike on the extra-attack.

Also, How do you get the [87] cost ?

Crushing attack : 5/lvl +230-90% : 12/lvl . A 18D attack would cost [216]

Or did I miss something ?

Last edited by Celjabba; 06-20-2017 at 03:49 AM.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:43 AM   #10
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeDub View Post
I'm not an orphan, nor do I personally know anyone who is, but the media universally portrays "The System" in the U.S., especially group homes, as a Nightmare From Hell for orphans. No idea what the Mexican system is like, but I find it difficult to believe that he has such fond memories of the place. Sure, he may have bonded with Maria (an individual) there, but his life goal of anonymously funding the place itself (the institution) seems odd to me.

ETA: Especially if the game is TL6. Victorian orphanages were unimaginably bad by today's standards. I don't think American orphanages of that time were much better.
A Mexican orphanage at TL6 would most likely be run by the church or by a religious institution of some sorts. Nuns are likely.

Such an institution might be very bad, if it is administrated by someone cruel or callous, but it might also be a place that a character left with fond memories. After all, people who dedicate themselves to taking care of children as a religious calling might genuinely love and care for children. And one thing that many people forget is that one characteristic of most lower TL and Third World counrties is that the cost of labour is fairly low.

A Mexican orphanage at TL6 might not have much in the way of wealth, but there might be plenty of nuns and lay sisters to take care of the children and educate them, so at least they would not be neglected. Even with limited material resources, such a place might not be a bad place to grow up.