Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-19-2017, 08:12 AM   #11
Gnomasz

Default Re: Generic 2-page landscape A4 Character Sheet (comments/crits appreciated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allluckyseven View Post
There's still too much stuff in it, for my tastes anyway, but it's really hard to remove stuff and still have a very generic-and-universal character sheet. In my latest revision I actually removed the Points Summary, because it's not the kind of information that players need to keep referring to. It's not essential.
Now it occurs me that I could remove some lines from the Skills and Ads/Disads columns and add back in something else that is very important: White space.
Maybe I'm biased because of my low-social games, but you could get rid of languages, TL, and Cultural Familiarities -- they fit nicely enough in advantages and disadvantages.

And speaking of technicalities: what software do you use? I've been making mine in LibreOffice, and I can't imagine making the space between attribute boxes, for example.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:10 PM   #12
allluckyseven

Default Re: Generic 2-page landscape A4 Character Sheet (comments/crits appreciated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomasz View Post
Maybe I'm biased because of my low-social games, but you could get rid of languages, TL, and Cultural Familiarities -- they fit nicely enough in advantages and disadvantages.

And speaking of technicalities: what software do you use? I've been making mine in LibreOffice, and I can't imagine making the space between attribute boxes, for example.
I wanted to follow the book structure, and have Languages, etc. separated from Advantages. But they do use a bit of space that could be used for something else... or be left blank.
The best solution may be using Character Sheet generators that would include only what each player wants for their characters, in a fairly rigid page template. But that's beyond my skills.

The software I use is Adobe Illustrator. But InDesign (or other DTP application) is perhaps better suited for it, even though it's just a 1-4 page document.
Don't really know how you would go about doing it in LibreOffice... I have no experience with it.

There's this free and open source application I just found called Scribus that may be a good alternative.
https://www.scribus.net/

But in Illustrator, I simply made the attribute boxes a certain size, then aligned them vertically with the attribute names, which are in a textbox. The spacing between text lines being the line height.
I had followed a baseline grid at first, but in wanting to put all that in I dismissed it for the attribute block, at least. I might get back to that for a next version... But I'm considering changing the layout a bit.

Not sure I fully answered your question...

Last edited by allluckyseven; 11-20-2017 at 07:33 PM.
allluckyseven is offline   Reply With Quote