Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-28-2020, 01:43 AM   #11
aesir23

Default Re: Enhancements on Weakness

Weakness (Affliction) Kryptonite:
Rare (Base 1 point), (Attribute Penalty -10 ST, +100%, Incapacitation: Agony* +150%) = -4 Points

Additionally, he has Weakness 1d/Minute and Weakness (Fatigue Damage) 1d/Minute.

Losing his powers in the presence of Kryptonite is just a "Countermeasure" and is included in his Power Modifier.

So, what do you all think?

*Superman himself has High Pain Threshold, so he can still take actions at -3 DX and IQ, which is fair because he can usually bring himself to crawl away or something. As a GM, I'd require a will roll every round to take any action, just as a house rule for agony.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:00 PM   #12
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwcamp View Post
This is similar to something I've been trying to figure out for a while. In a Sci-Fi setting I've been working on, one of the alien sapient species has a fiber-optic based nervous system. If they are hit by a laser, the bright light temporarily overloads them and they get stunned. This seems like an affliction, but I can't find any rules for applying an affliction as a disadvantage when exposed to a certain environmental condition.
I've had similar problems with alien species I've been adapting.

The best way I've found to deal with problems like you've described is to apply the Temporary Disadvantage limitation as an enhancement to traits such as Vulnerability or Weakness.

I've also created House Rules for a disadvantage called "Chronic Affliction" which is a generic version of Chronic Pain. I posted it on the forums a couple years ago.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...nic+affliction

Alternately, you can go with a RAW disadvantage and apply suitable Accessibility limitations to it. E.g., Blindness (Limitation: Accessibility (Only when hit by lasers), -80%) [-10]. Apply the Sense-Based limitation for Malediction to Blindness if the target can make a HT roll to avoid Blindness.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:24 PM   #13
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
David T. Moore came up with a rather brilliant extrapolation I use pretty often. You can find it here.
That does indeed look good; if I ever find a need for such, I will certainly consider this interpretation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
Is kryptonite rare or common? During some runs of the comic every other two-bit villain had some form of kryptonite. And most of his villains certainly know about it.
While villains seem to have a ridiculous amount of space rock from a distant exploded planet (honestly, none of it should have ever reached Earth, but whatever), do keep in mind that gold is Rare, yet if Superman had a weakness to it I don't think anyone would bat an eye at any villain with some degree of means (and who knows it's a weakness for Supes) having some gold available. Even at its most egregious, I don't think Kryptonite was ever implied to be more common than gold in the setting. Of course, GURPS doesn't go any lower than Rare, which means silver, gold, platinum, adamantium, vibranium, kryptonite, unobtainium, etc are all "worth" the same amount as Weaknesses/Limitations/Whatever.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:11 AM   #14
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
Weakness (Affliction) Kryptonite:
Rare (Base 1 point), (Attribute Penalty -10 ST, +100%, Incapacitation: Agony* +150%) = -4 Points

Additionally, he has Weakness 1d/Minute and Weakness (Fatigue Damage) 1d/Minute.

Losing his powers in the presence of Kryptonite is just a "Countermeasure" and is included in his Power Modifier.

So, what do you all think?

*Superman himself has High Pain Threshold, so he can still take actions at -3 DX and IQ, which is fair because he can usually bring himself to crawl away or something. As a GM, I'd require a will roll every round to take any action, just as a house rule for agony.
Kryptonite is a PITA to model in GURPS on Superman's side because different colors did different things. To DC's credit they tried to get things back under control post-Crisis by limiting things down to one type of Kryptonite but after a while Kryptonite skittles was back with a vengeance.

Quote:
Is kryptonite rare or common? During some runs of the comic every other two-bit villain had some form of kryptonite. And most of his villains certainly know about it.

Lex even wore a ring with green k in it for a while, until it gave him cancer. Of course, he blamed that on Superman, also.
You are confusing two different versions of the DCU.

Uncle Joe's Kryptonite Emporium was something seen Earth-One (Earth-1985) and Earth-Thirty-Two while Lex with the Kryptonite ring belonged to New Earth.

Until Batman and Luthor created artificial Kryptonite there was only one piece form which Luthor got his ring. Of course once that happened it was "taste the rainbow" time with Kryptonite and the result was even more a mess then pre-Crisis.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.

Last edited by maximara; 04-25-2020 at 08:56 AM.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 07:22 PM   #15
DangerousThing

Quote:

Lex even wore a ring with green k in it for a while, until it gave him cancer. Of course, he blamed that on Superman, also.
Yes, Superman's super-scapegoat power, activate! Yes, Lex does blame superman for pretty much everything. Thereby proving that intelligence doesn't buy common sense.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 08:21 AM   #16
Andreas

Quote:
It's what I use. It's very well thought out.
The first example there seems to assign a way too high value for the disadvantage. 25 points for becoming unconcious when a wooden stake through the heart causes at least 1/2 HP damage! Even 5 points might be too much for something like that...
Andreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 02:36 PM   #17
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
Thinking particularly about Kryptonite--it does more than just caused damage at regular intervals to Kryptonians. It also drained their strength and nearly incapacitates them. If all Kryptonite did was 1D per minute, it wouldn't much matter to Superman. He could just beat up the bad guys and fly out of there in a matter of seconds.
The "Justice League Unlimited" episode "Chaos at the Earth's Core" explored that in an interesting way for Supergirl, regarding how it interacts with the solar power.

Supergirl was weak because of the red sun of Skartaris, and comments when encountering a HUGE piece of kryptonite "if I wasn't powerless, the kryptonite would've already killed me".

She's not COMPLETELY powerless due to the red sun (still has higher than normal strength) and not completely immune to the kryptonite either (it's still hurting her, but apparently not how much a chunk that size ought to if she's a full yellow-sun power).

So I think somehow what we need is Vulnerability tiers that work as a scaling Temporary Disadvantage to using always-on super-strength. IE to represent Kara (and presumably Kal) as they are in the DCAU based on CATEC you would need strength you could only turn off by lack of yellow sun (unless red is worse than darkness somehow, not sure how that works) but when that strength IS off, you have the advantage of the weakness/vulnerability to kryptonite diminishing too.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 03:25 AM   #18
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
The "Justice League Unlimited" episode "Chaos at the Earth's Core" explored that in an interesting way for Supergirl, regarding how it interacts with the solar power.

Supergirl was weak because of the red sun of Skartaris, and comments when encountering a HUGE piece of kryptonite "if I wasn't powerless, the kryptonite would've already killed me".
That sounds like kryptonite causes a Kryptonian's own powers to attack them in some way.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:31 AM   #19
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
David T. Moore came up with a rather brilliant extrapolation I use pretty often. You can find it here.

That's really good. It should be somewhere easier to find than a forum post.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 02:46 PM   #20
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post

She's not COMPLETELY powerless due to the red sun (still has higher than normal strength) and not completely immune to the kryptonite either (it's still hurting her, but apparently not how much a chunk that size ought to if she's a full yellow-sun power).

So I think somehow what we need is Vulnerability tiers that work as a scaling Temporary Disadvantage to using always-on super-strength. IE to represent Kara (and presumably Kal) as they are in the DCAU based on CATEC you would need strength you could only turn off by lack of yellow sun (unless red is worse than darkness somehow, not sure how that works) but when that strength IS off, you have the advantage of the weakness/vulnerability to kryptonite diminishing too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
That sounds like kryptonite causes a Kryptonian's own powers to attack them in some way.
This is also a mixture of pre- and post crisis.

Pre-Crisis Kryptonite caused a very accelerated from of radiation poisoning if it was the correct type. Anti-Kryptonite (which was green in color) only effected non-superpower Kryptonians (Argo city) while normal Green Kryptonite only effected superpowered Kryptonians.

Post-Crisis New Earth Kryptonite was deadly to both types of Kryptonians - all that changed was how fast it worked. If superpowered Kryptonite actually drives the solar radiation from the body and replaces it with its radiation - Superman Vol 2 #1 (1987)
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kryptonite, superman, supers, weakness