Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-28-2017, 02:47 PM   #21
David Johansen

Default Re: What Do You Want For Yrth

One reason I haven't done anything for Yrth is that it doesn't belong to me. This goes beyond anything relating to property rights or money. It's a matter of having no authority to alter or add to the material. That what I write, no matter how popular or financially successful it might become will forever remain apocrypha. One might simply write another world based on Africa, America, India, and China and not put it on Ytarria and it would simply be its own thing. GURPS Dark Fantasy comes to mind. It could be on the other side of the planet or in another realm entirely.

I suspect the thinking was always that most medieval fantasy material could be dropped into Yrth with minimal modification. Chivalry and Sorcery, Ars Magica, and Harn are particularly appropriate to the purpose.

Those looking for generic GURPS Fantasy content need look no farther than GURPS Dungeon Fantasy. I'm not fond of the base assumptions there and I can identify with others who share that outlook but it exists and is popular never the less.
David Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 04:04 PM   #22
Ashtagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Discworld is mentioned in Infinite Worlds as existing within the setting.
Discworld, as a licenced setting, is it's own thing. Nearly every setting in Infinite Worlds is either a licenced setting, a setting clearly based on a real-world popular mythos (eg Camelot, Arabian Nights), or a historical parallel with an identifiable point of departure and explanations of how that one change caused the timeline to branch out. Yrth is about the only one that doesn't fall into those categories. But why not more?
Ashtagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 04:32 PM   #23
LoneWolf23k

I'd love to see additional continents added, like a Pseudo-Africa situated just south of the Maelstrom.

I'd love an exploration of the Djinn Lands, maybe with a few cities, notable Djinn lords and their houses.

But what I really think would be useful would be Dungeon Fantasy: Banestorm, a guidebook about how to plan and run a Dungeon Fantasy campaign on Yrth.
-Defining the role of Dungeon-crawlers in various Ytarrian societies.
-Justifying Clerical and Druidic Magic in the otherwise mechanically agnostic world of Yrth.
-Fantasy Monsters unique to Yrth (or imported from worlds like Gabrook and Loren'dil)
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 04:42 PM   #24
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf23k View Post
But what I really think would be useful would be Dungeon Fantasy: Banestorm, a guidebook about how to plan and run a Dungeon Fantasy campaign on Yrth.
-Defining the role of Dungeon-crawlers in various Ytarrian societies.
-Justifying Clerical and Druidic Magic in the otherwise mechanically agnostic world of Yrth.
-Fantasy Monsters unique to Yrth (or imported from worlds like Gabrook and Loren'dil)
This would be good. It unites the DF line which is apparently the most popular with the primary fantasy setting.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 05:50 PM   #25
trooper6

I think Banestorm is fine. What I'd like to see is a series of short campaign books like Operation:Endgame (4 linked adventures).

But...I'm not particularly enamored with the way SJGames does adventures. Operation Endgame was, for me, one of the best things they've ever done. I wish they did more things like that. But they haven't in decades.

Now this desire is not Banestorm specific...I think this could be useful for all sorts of GURPS lines.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 08:41 PM   #26
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

A map of a town with locations for shops and what can be bought there, maps of absurdly spacious sewers underneath full of monsters to kill (and their stats) and treasures to find (and their stats). Basically, completely-worked Town and Dungeon.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:56 PM   #27
David Johansen

I'm not sure Dungeon Fantasy and Yrth really go together. We've got Dungeon Fantasy and will undoubtedly get more of it. Why spoil Yrth with it?

I think a fully worked Dungeon Fantasy world would be a better way to go if you want that stuff.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:59 PM   #28
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf23k View Post
Why is this necessary? Why can't wizards just cast the full spell list?

Mystics can replace Holy Warriors as well.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 10:22 PM   #29
David Johansen

That seems to be the major disconnect. There are many who don't want Banestorm because it's not what they want and that's fine but this is the What Do You Want For Yrth thread, not the I Don't Want Yrth Thread.

It's a bit like looking at Lord of the Rings and wanting it to be set in post apocalyptic Australia and involve a lot of fighting between savages in beaten up automobiles.

I would, for instance, like to suggest a need for adventures that are not dungeon crawls because traditional dungeon crawls don't really have a place in Yrth.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:41 PM   #30
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johansen View Post
I would, for instance, like to suggest a need for adventures that are not dungeon crawls because traditional dungeon crawls don't really have a place in Yrth.
There's Castle Defiance and all those ruined Elvish cities which look a lot like adventure hooks for that sort of thing to me.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wishlist, yrth