Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-28-2017, 10:44 PM   #1
corwyn

Default DF in Yrth

So I'm starting to do some planning for my in-store drop-in DF game that I'll be starting when the boxed set comes out. I'd like to tie it to a setting and I don't really have the time or inclination to make my own. Unfortunately, GURPS doesn't really have any others.

Does DF work in Yrth? If so, any suggestions where to place it?

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:06 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: DF in Yrth

There have been threads like this in the past. The biggest difference is that clerics and druids shouldn't exist and wizards should have unlimited spell selection.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:08 PM   #3
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

See here for one example but Sir Pudding has the best brief summary.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:23 AM   #4
Phil Masters

Those concerns are perfectly genuine, but if you just want to use Yrth for a source of large scale maps and place names and a bit of flavour, just say "there are immanent gods and wizard magic works like in DF", wave your hands, and run with it.

See also my notes on using the Discworld as the dungeon world. DF tends to play fairly fast and loose with (non-tactical) stuff, so it's probably not worth sweating the details.

(I guess that most clerics should be Christian outside of the wacky pagan lands, but whatever. Dungeon fantasy clerics have mostly defaulted to pseudo-Christian assumptions since 1972. I lose sales on DF7, I make sales on Banestorm.)
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:29 AM   #5
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
Those concerns are perfectly genuine, but if you just want to use Yrth for a source of large scale maps and place names and a bit of flavour, just say "there are immanent gods and wizard magic works like in DF", wave your hands, and run with it.
If you're playing a DF style game, Yrth isn't really hurt by replacing Earthly religions with conventional fantasy ones, or giving priests and imams clerical spells. Religion in DF is largely window dressing for the healing/buffing wizard.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:37 AM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
If you're playing a DF style game, Yrth isn't really hurt by replacing Earthly religions with conventional fantasy ones, or giving priests and imams clerical spells. Religion in DF is largely window dressing for the healing/buffing wizard.
If you ignore the cultural and political geography of Yrth, what is the point of setting your game there? It isn't as if there are a ton of dungeons for the setting or something.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:34 AM   #7
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
If you ignore the cultural and political geography of Yrth, what is the point of setting your game there? It isn't as if there are a ton of dungeons for the setting or something.
For me, the point would be, since I'm introducing GURPS to newbies (at least to the system) I'd like to use a gurps setting. Since there is a decided lack of them, I'm looking at Yrth. I'd prefer a more traditional one but who knows, it's a fresh enough look that maybe I'll interest some new players to it as well and isn't that the point.

As for dungeons, well, the game is likely to have as much above ground as under because that's the kind of game I run.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:41 AM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
For me, the point would be, since I'm introducing GURPS to newbies (at least to the system) I'd like to use a gurps setting. Since there is a decided lack of them, I'm looking at Yrth. I'd prefer a more traditional one but who knows, it's a fresh enough look that maybe I'll interest some new players to it as well and isn't that the point.

As for dungeons, well, the game is likely to have as much above ground as under because that's the kind of game I run.
Sure, that is why it makes sense to use Yrth. It doesn't make as much sense to use Yrth if you are going to swap out Christianity and Islam for Forgotten Realms style henotheism, YMMV.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:21 AM   #9
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Sure, that is why it makes sense to use Yrth. It doesn't make as much sense to use Yrth if you are going to swap out Christianity and Islam for Forgotten Realms style henotheism, YMMV.
Well, I never said I was swapping out Christianity and Islam. Yes, others have suggested it; I'm on the fence. Right now, I'm thinking of leaving real-world religions for most humans and pagan gods/pantheons for pagan humans and non-humans. It may require softening/ignoring real-world politics and religious war-mongering but I'm probably okay with that.

Deadlands has the conceit that all the real-world religions can have worshippers with real divine power. I see no problem with doing that here. Maybe.

Old 03-29-2017, 03:39 AM   #10
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
So I'm starting to do some planning for my in-store drop-in DF game that I'll be starting when the boxed set comes out. I'd like to tie it to a setting and I don't really have the time or inclination to make my own. Unfortunately, GURPS doesn't really have any others.

Does DF work in Yrth? If so, any suggestions where to place it?
I ran a pre-DF dungeon-bashing game in Yrth, set in Caithness, on the southern border near the Great Forest. Plenty of varied terrain, and dungeon spots can be normal-mana even if the rest of the area is low (which is one reason to explore them).
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, yrth