Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 08-12-2020, 12:35 PM   #1
C-Moon

Default Rotating GMs - Advice Wanted

Hi, having GM burnout is common for post TTRPG groups. One solution I've thought is with Suzerain's many realms, just letting a player and the GM swap out and run a one-shot in a different realm.

Now lore-wise, it's sound, no worries there, it's more the technical side of passing on the 'GM hat' as it where.

Question: What's a good way to summerise and organise story elements/locations/characters etc. to be passed to another GM for a one-off session that can be within the same world but not directly affect the main campaign? Is it best to just give a list of "try not to kill these people and stay away from these areas if possible" or is that too limiting? is it best to do a flashback one-shot? or to keep everything but the characters the same?

Savage Mojo
C-Moon#4331 at Discord
Kickstarter coming October 4th 2020. Join our mailing list and get a FREE Shane Hensley adventure
C-Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 12:53 PM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: Rotating GMs - Advice Wanted

In general the way it's worked in games I've seen is that each GM has a list of 'their' NPCs, factions, and zones, and you check with the other GM before making use of things on their list (at which point it might be shared, or might switch to your list, or might stay on their list other than the cameo).
Old 08-12-2020, 01:00 PM   #3
C-Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
In general the way it's worked in games I've seen is that each GM has a list of 'their' NPCs, factions, and zones, and you check with the other GM before making use of things on their list (at which point it might be shared, or might switch to your list, or might stay on their list other than the cameo).
Yeah, I was thinking that, but I thought always worth asking others first!

Savage Mojo
C-Moon#4331 at Discord
Kickstarter coming October 4th 2020. Join our mailing list and get a FREE Shane Hensley adventure
C-Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 02:31 PM   #4
xlyce

Make sure you discuss the effects of loot and treasure given out as well. We did this for awhile back in the day and one GM was sorta (really REALLY) Monty Haul. His game unbalanced what the rest of us were doing in slow progression of magic (I had a laser pistol that was recharged using solar power).
xlyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 01:35 PM   #5
Kallatari

There was an old table-top RPG called "Rune" based on the Rune RPG video game (basically a melee FPS). It was a hack-and-slash Viking-based game, and the tabletop RPG was specifically designed for rotating GMs.

I never actually read it, so I can't say for sure how it plays out, but from my memory of the reviews I read at the time (I think it was in the 1990s), they way it worked is that each player effectively GMed one "level of the dungeon". whether an actual dungeon level, or the next part of the wilderness for overland journeys (e.g., the Forest of Darkness vs the Impassible Mountains, etc.). They had a certain number of "GM points" to build the traps, monsters, etc., and I think hard rules on the loot to give.

While they GMed, their character became an NPC.

What I found interesting is that after each "level", those who weren't the GM judged the dungeon level they just played, how fun it was, etc. and then they collectively decided the amount of XP the GM's character received for it based on how well he GM/designed his "dungeon level." A GM who favored his own character to shine or retrieve loot that favored him was typically dinged at this point.

Since you made this post in DFRPG, which is also hack-and-slash focused, the concept could be easily adaptable. Keep the "primary GM" as the one responsible for town, the major NPCs, and the major storyline. He sets the players up for their mission, and then the other GM takes over the dungeon.

For example, the primary GM has the town church send the PC to the Tomb of Bob the Devourer to retrieve the sacred chalice. He then hands that over to the player who is the next GM who designs the tomb, the challenges, etc. that the players need to defeat to regain the sacred chalice.

The primary GM keeps the overall campaign story going, and the other players take on the extra work of designing dungeons, monsters, etc., which is also a lot of work.

And they can work a bit together behind the scenes...
"Thank you for accepting this quest. I need you to go to the.... um, Mark, you're the next GM... what type of dungeon did you make?"

"an abandoned mine infested by monsters"

".. to go to the abandoned mine and retrieve the lost gem of stars."
And I agree with Xlyce's post: have a clear "loot amount" per dungeon. For example, no more than $1000 per PC in loot for the entire dungeon level... so a group of 5 PC will get $5000 in loot, whether that's 5000 copper coins, a single magical item worth $5000, or a mix of coins and items that total $5000. Pick an amount that works for your campaign, giving an amount that balances out with the fact that the players might not find everything or be able to bring everything back, and what their likely costs/expenditures linked to the adventure will be. Likewise, you may want to make some concessions as to what counts and what doesn't; e.g., perhaps all the cheap weapons and armors of the hundreds of goblins don't count in the total, otherwise you'll exceed the allowed total really quickly.
Kallatari is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burnout, suzerain, suzerain legends, swade