Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-24-2011, 08:34 AM   #31
Bruno

Default Re: Magic items made from Great Red Dragon's corpse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
That's Rcl stat in GURPS, which I don't think has much in common with real world recoil impulse.
As this is a GURPS forum, and you were looking for GURPS gun stats, I rather thought that's what you were looking for :)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:44 AM   #32
Bruno

I have to comment, re the steak-and-sausages, that my players immediately think about turning monsters into rations. I blame playing too much ADOM and Nethack.

But the obvious comment on sausages is to make the trimmings into dragon sausage and use its own organs for the casings. Not for mere pigs, this! Although pork sausages in dragon casings would probably be self-roasting.

The haggis would be terrifying.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:54 AM   #33
Danukian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I have to comment, re the steak-and-sausages, that my players immediately think about turning monsters into rations. I blame playing too much ADOM and Nethack.

But the obvious comment on sausages is to make the trimmings into dragon sausage and use its own organs for the casings. Not for mere pigs, this! Although pork sausages in dragon casings would probably be self-roasting.

Most of my players are hunters, which is why their PCs occasionally eat what they kill, though more of the Dire Boar = Village Festival type situations rather than Dragon Jerky Rations.

Haggis made from cow is fairly terrifying as it is!
Old 03-24-2011, 09:11 AM   #34
Icelander

Quote:
As this is a GURPS forum, and you were looking for GURPS gun stats, I rather thought that's what you were looking for :)
Real world recoil impulse affects the ST stat in GURPS more than it does the Rcl stat.

Not having access to a GURPS gun design system, I just don't know how much it affects it.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:49 AM   #35
Genesis

Quote:
Not for mere pigs, this! Although pork sausages in dragon casings would probably be self-roasting.

I'm just saying - if I killed an elder being of incomparable majesty the first thing I'd do is turn the meat into dinner. A beast that big has a bunch of muscle! What else are you gonna do with it? Fire up the grill, boys!

On second thought... it might be very difficult to cook meat that has innate resistance to fire and heat...

Stick with salting, drying, and pickling, then.

MMMMMMMmmmmmmm. Dragon carpaccio. Tender, warm, just a little bit of pepper... Oh, yeah.

OK, it's definitely time for lunch.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:57 AM   #36
Danukian

I was going to make a joke about Draco Tartar, when I got an image of Dragon Balut being served by red wizards... *shudders*
Old 03-24-2011, 10:00 AM   #37
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Ahh, well, changes the tone of things just a bit, huh? Your guys aren't gonna be into the sort of stuff my guys are into - I kill off my parties in favor of new campaigns too often to let anyone get that powerful! I like my players to feel a certain sense of terror.
Terror is relative. In my experience, terror grows exponentially with the length of time a PC has been roleplayed and the more connections he has with the world. This also tends to increase his point value substantially, but that is of little consequence, as a fantasy world offers an almost limitless supply of threats far in excess of even a 1000 point character's puny powers.

Quote:
Anyway, airships out of inflatable parts (you can stretch intestine casing pretttty big - on a dragon that size there's no reason you couldn't get substantial weights aloft), ships out of ribs, Vast Quantities of consumable goods with various tactical and strategic benefits for their terrible Company,
Things to ponder, certainly.

Quote:
Perhaps a field canopy made from the wing membrane. Anyone seated under it appears powerful and majestic, and perhaps a touch cruel, to outside observers. Great place to receive people who want to buy your services, or meet the leaders of conquered cities.
This is sure to meet with enthusiastic approval.

Quote:
A Pennant made of Red Dragon Scales on a pole of carved dragon bone has got to be a terrifying thing even to hardened enemies, once the story of how you killed this thing gets out.
The PC chosen to be their viceroy for the campaign wanted a Red Dragon banner, yes.

Quote:
If you're the terrifying spikes and red plate mercenaries, perhaps I could interest you in a set of dragonhide battle drums, stretched over a frame of metacarpals. If you're the regimental, perfect-soldier mercenaries, you'll probably be more interested in my metacarpal straight horns. Either will give friendly regiments who hear the battle music a boost of ferocity and determination.
I think they'd fit the latter better. They have three battalions of their own men, raised and trained by company men. Those are crossbowmen with heavy steel crossbows, caliver-men with smokepowder weapons and pikemen. All wear silk armour with a steel breastplate and helmet. The crossbowmen and calivermen are trained to skirmish with sword and buckler as well.

Then they also have a thousand strong mercenary company on retainer for the current campaign. Heavy troops, wearing mail-and-plate and armed with typical men-at-arms weapons or spears.

Quote:
Appropriately hot-cured Mana Organ Chunks, suspended (carefully) in oil in a heavy ceramic or wooden shell can be launched from catapults for a tremendously effective siege weapon probably equivalent to TL 6 artillery.
Very true. Even before they killed this dragon, the PCs were planning ceramic shells filled with alchemist's fire using magic fire spells as fuzes.

Now that they have a perfect material to make it out of, the prices will go down and they can thus afford more of them.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:03 AM   #38
Icelander

Quote:
I'm just saying - if I killed an elder being of incomparable majesty the first thing I'd do is turn the meat into dinner. A beast that big has a bunch of muscle! What else are you gonna do with it? Fire up the grill, boys!
I rather think the goal of this thread if to answer that question.

And considering that the magical uses for parts of red dragon are myriad, it might be somewhat premature to eat it. If they fed it to their troops, it would cost them millions of dollars and all they'd get would be sick troops.

Selling it to wizards with the organisation to turn out alchemical and magical items on a near-industrial scale, now, that's profitable.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:07 AM   #39
Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
I rather think the goal of this thread if to answer that question.
Well, my point was that I'm hard pressed to think of other things to do with chunks of meat - even magic meat. Perhaps my lack of imagination stems from the fact that the traditional thing to do with meat (on earth) is eat it.

While organs and sinews and bones and skin all have ready mythological associations to draw from, steaks are usually just steaks.

Maybe if the muscle is preserved, rather than processed, you can retain some fragment of the whole creature's brawn? The tail muscles, preserved necromantically and enlivened with a bit of magic, could provide powerful propulsion for that ship we mentioned earlier. Dragon pectorals could make opening that magnificent three-story-high mithril-clad gate a little easier.

Other than that... I can't think of a lot of good alchemical uses for muscle. It's not a traditionally used material (because it's usually eaten).
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:17 AM   #40
naloth

Quote:
Well, my point was that I'm hard pressed to think of other things to do with chunks of meat - even magic meat. Perhaps my lack of imagination stems from the fact that the traditional thing to do with meat (on earth) is eat it.
In a more magical vein, I would suggest you use it for Flesh Golems. Aside from being (supernaturally) strong, they might have innate DR (tough muscle), high resistance to fire, or perhaps even generate tremendous heat during activity. Sounds like it's time to figure out what a DragonFlesh Golem template would look like...
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dragon, forgotten realms, magical items, smokepowder