Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-19-2012, 09:07 AM   #11
Azrael

Default Re: Grapple More than One Opponent?

Been thinking about this some more. I understand now how GURPS says it works. However, if a person is holding onto another person (and let us imagine this other person is not resisting at all), their posture would be affected. If body position was constrained it might be more difficult to carry out a second grapple.

Edit: I guess at close range this might not be much of an issue. Maybe I need to learn how to fight :P ... Lack of transferable experience is definitely an issue here.

Last edited by Azrael; 09-19-2012 at 09:17 AM.
Azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:17 AM   #12
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
However, if a person is holding onto another person (and let us imagine this other person is not resisting at all), their posture would be affected.
I'm not seeing this at all. Can you provide pictoral examples? Unless you're holding onto someone very small (or onto the lower part of their body) requiring you to stoop, you can still stand straight especially if the other person isn't resisting.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #13
Azrael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I'm not seeing this at all. Can you provide pictoral examples? Unless you're holding onto someone very small (or onto the lower part of their body) requiring you to stoop, you can still stand straight especially if the other person isn't resisting.
I'm in agreement now. Like I said, I was just having trouble visualizing it.
Azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:53 PM   #14
vierasmarius

Shifting towards the cinematic, how would you handle a character who grapples more than two opponents? For example, in this clip from Fist of Legend (at about 1:32), Jet Li grapples and Arm Locks three attackers in quick succession, using his free hand to initiate the grapples but then transferring them to his other arm. It's not totally unbelievable, but unless his victims were Stunned it would seem trivially easy for them to break free. Is this just the cinematic convention of Mooks not resisting the PC's techniques? If not, what skills / advantages would be needed for him to pull it off?
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:32 PM   #15
Grouchy Chris

For what it's worth, there is an example of this in Martial Arts, in the Grab and Smash! box on p. 118. It is presented there as an All-Out Attack with the first attack being a Dual Weapon Attack to grapple two adjacent attackers, and the second attack used to smack them together. There are of course many other ways to grapple two opponents; this method has the advantage of letting you get it all done in one maneuver.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:46 AM   #16
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
Shifting towards the cinematic, how would you handle a character who grapples more than two opponents? For example, in this clip from Fist of Legend (at about 1:32), Jet Li grapples and Arm Locks three attackers in quick succession, using his free hand to initiate the grapples but then transferring them to his other arm.
I believe Technical Grappling will have rules for transferring holds from one body part to another and one hand to another. That will probably be a good start for this sort of stunt.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
committed attack (long), grapple