Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-25-2015, 11:09 AM   #1
CeeDub

Default Minion Allies // roleplaying Slave Mentality

This question is a two-parter, because the topics are closely related. I hope that's okay.

Part one: Suppose a PC has one or more Allies with the Minion enhancement - does the PC control them? The Minion is unquestionably loyal anyway, so they might as well save the GM the trouble. What if they have the Slave Mentality limitation?

I realize that it's certainly a matter of taste; many GMs would not want to relinquish that kind of control. I find that I'd rather have the GM play my Ally if my PC had one, but if I was the GM I'd rather leave that to the PC (with Rule Zero veto power, of course). What are your opinions?

(I wanted to include a poll to make this easier for you, but couldn't find the options. Sorry!)

Part two: Regardless of who controls an Ally with Slave Mentality, how should they be portrayed? The description states that a character afflicted with this disadvantage has full use of his intelligence and creativity, but lacks so much initiative that he is at a serious risk of literally starving with lunch money right in front of him, if not instructed (specifically or via standing order) to go buy food and eat.

I find this difficult to imagine, if not outright contradictory. Zombies would display such lack of initiative, but also lack the intelligence. Robots that are advanced enough to correctly interpret and execute verbal commands would certainly have a sophisticated set of self-maintenance subroutines to default to, in accordance with Asimov's Third Law. So, how should I imagine this trait?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:31 AM   #2
fifiste

Default Re: Minion Allies // roleplaying Slave Mentality

To be a nit-picking kind of guy.

The minion might unquestioningly follow leaders orders - that doesn't mean that the leader can control them as perfectly as his/hers/its own body.
The minion is still limited by communications and it's understanding - minions own mental capacity and advantatges/disadvantages etc.
To be able to perfectly control the leader should actually have some kind of perfect and instant near-instant communicaiton etc.

On the other hand as It frees my hands as GM from lots of work I'd allow slave_menatality minions to be played by players :D. Maybe also non-slave mentality minions - I'd call it a low to moderate metagame enchancment - just remind the player that the minions and leader doesn't share perfect information between themselves (so no spooky perfect tactics by minions from a different room etc. unless they have somekind of tele-com etc.)
fifiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:05 PM   #3
Otaku

Granted my GM cred is almost nada (or perhaps is in the red from unsuccessful campaigns from years ago), but I think it could work so long as the player realizes he must accurately role-play all characters and (as fifiste already pointed out) they will not have perfect communication and tactics (barring appropriate Advantages also being taken). One of the GURPS campaigns I fondly remember actually allowed us multiple characters, as when it became clear we just needed more PCs but didn't have the players to go with them. Again, no making everything work perfectly between the two, but replacing the GM trying to act out an Ally with having to make various "communication" roles and making sure the player isn't abusing the privilege can indeed be a good time and effort saver.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:12 PM   #4
Jerander

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeDub View Post
Part one: Suppose a PC has one or more Allies with the Minion enhancement - does the PC control them? The Minion is unquestionably loyal anyway, so they might as well save the GM the trouble. What if they have the Slave Mentality limitation?
"Minion" does not equate to either "unquestionably loyal" or "does everything that it is told". It just means it will continue to serve you no matter how poorly you treat it. It can still question (or refuse) commands, argue with you, try to subvert your orders in a way that works in its advantage, work deals behind your back, etc.
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 01:26 PM   #5
Icelander

I just wanted to point out an awesome scene where a Minion speaks out, in Boardwalk Empire:

"Mr. Thompson is a part of everything. He is in the sky and sea. He is in the dreams of children at night. He is all that there is. Forever."
Old 02-25-2015, 02:02 PM   #6
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
This question is a two-parter, because the topics are closely related. I hope that's okay.
NO! It's not okay! All questions must be submitted in three-part harmony!

GET HIM GUYS!

Seriously, I'm with fifiste and Otaku. Having the Player control Minion/Slave Mentality Allies is kosher as long no shenanigans are going on.

Heck I allow them to control regular Allies and Hirelings for the most part. Saves me asking "What would your Ally do?"

But keep in mind, I step in where I think the Ally/Hireling would do something else and when Morale rolls have been failed.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 02:11 PM   #7
CeeDub

Thanks for your replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
NO! It's not okay! All questions must be submitted in three-part harmony!

GET HIM GUYS!
Yeah, it seems like I should have created two threads. So far, no one has addressed the second part, how to play an Ally with Slave Mentality (whether as GM- or player-controlled ally).
Old 02-25-2015, 02:57 PM   #8
Icelander

Quote:
Thanks for your replies!

Yeah, it seems like I should have created two threads. So far, no one has addressed the second part, how to play an Ally with Slave Mentality (whether as GM- or player-controlled ally).
Um, I thought my post did. See Eddie Kessler, in Boardwalk Empire.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:14 PM   #9
mr beer

I would allow it because it saves me hassle and it's not unreasonable. I would veto spooky tactics as someone mentioned above.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:45 PM   #10
CeeDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Um, I thought my post did. See Eddie Kessler, in Boardwalk Empire.
Oh. Apologies. Must have gone over my head because I'm not familiar with that show.