Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-17-2013, 08:01 PM   #21
Kallatari

Default Re: Modified Super Heal Power

Myself, I use a variation of the Increased Immunity and Decreased Immunity modifiers - replacing the -2 with the Healing's -3 - to allow much more customization in the cumulative penalty per healing. So, at default, it's a cumulative -3 per attempt after the first per 24 hours, but with Decreased Immunity 1 (+50%), it's a cumulative -3 per attempt for only the next hour, and with Decreased Immunity 2 (+100%), there's no cumulative penalty.

Other combinations of those modifiers allow you to achieve effects such a permanent cumulative -3 penalty per use, immune to further healing for one hour, immune to further healing for one day, or permanently immune to further healing.

I took this approach because removing the entire cumulative penalty it came to the same cost as Cosmic (no cumulative penalty) +100%, which was also my initial thought, just like others have voiced here, but that allowed for greater variety of different healing effects.
Kallatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:10 PM   #22
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallatari View Post
Myself, I use a variation of the Increased Immunity and Decreased Immunity modifiers - replacing the -2 with the Healing's -3 - to allow much more customization in the cumulative penalty per healing. So, at default, it's a cumulative -3 per attempt after the first per 24 hours, but with Decreased Immunity 1 (+50%), it's a cumulative -3 per attempt for only the next hour, and with Decreased Immunity 2 (+100%), there's no cumulative penalty.

Other combinations of those modifiers allow you to achieve effects such a permanent cumulative -3 penalty per use, immune to further healing for one hour, immune to further healing for one day, or permanently immune to further healing.

I took this approach because removing the entire cumulative penalty it came to the same cost as Cosmic (no cumulative penalty) +100%, which was also my initial thought, just like others have voiced here, but that allowed for greater variety of different healing effects.
You know what? I like this better. In fact, I'm going to copy this post and use it in my own games. This just makes sense. Very nice, sir. Very nice indeed.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #23
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
I eyeballed it using Power-Ups 4 a while back. Works out about right. Maybe +150% if you feel it's too low, I of course think it works as is. :-)
I don't disagree with the number (though combining it with Reduced Fatigue Cost I'd be very wary of because that gives infinite fast noncombat healing). But calling an eyeballed modifier RAW doesn't quite seem right.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:40 PM   #24
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
I don't disagree with the number (though combining it with Reduced Fatigue Cost I'd be very wary of because that gives infinite fast noncombat healing). But calling an eyeballed modifier RAW doesn't quite seem right.
Dude, Power-Ups 4 is RAW, making a judgement call is kind of what has to be done with Cosmic in some situations - so if you interpret RAW as specific examples only rather than interpolation of rules...well that doesn't sound fun to me. :-( Cosmic (as I understand it) is all about breaking the rules of a given trait or allowing extra use or utility of said trait. Unless GURPS Power-Ups Enhancements: Cosmic comes out, you're going to have to make a judgement call on some things.

As for Reduced Fatigue Cost, yeah, that could get out of hand fast, but keep in mind that's just fixing HP without other fun bits of damage like crippled or dismembered limbs and the like. That said, a cap of, say, 10 levels at most is probably fair for most SUPERS games and half that for cinematic ones featuring supernatural powers.

Become a Patron!
Old 10-17-2013, 08:51 PM   #25
Kallatari

Quote:
Not sure why Ghostdancer picked +100% for Cosmic, but speaking for myself, out of the three levels of Cosmic available, and a real short description:

Cosmic (Added Utility) +50% = ignore minor restriction or add small perk.

Cosmic (Cheating) +100% = ignore a restriction inherent to game-balance

Cosmic (Godlike) +300% = can do something completely unfair.

See Power-Ups 4 - Enhancements for the full descriptions of each level and several examples of each. There's like 4 pages to explain how to properly price Cosmic and examples.

Out of those, the cumulative penalty was not a minor restriction, so it wasn't the first level, and I didn't think removing it was completely unfair or godlike, so it wasn't the last level. The cumulative penalty, to me, sounded more like a game-balance issue, so I thought it fit nicely at the +100% level.

And when that matched and had the same effect as two levels of Decreased Immunity, it pretty much settled it for me... although as previously posted I ultimately went with Decreased Immunity instead of Cosmic.
Kallatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:54 PM   #26
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallatari View Post
Not sure why Ghostdancer picked +100% for Cosmic, but speaking for myself, out of the three levels of Cosmic available, and a real short description:

Cosmic (Added Utility) +50% = ignore minor restriction or add small perk.

Cosmic (Cheating) +100% = ignore a restriction inherent to game-balance

Cosmic (Godlike) +300% = can do something completely unfair.

See Power-Ups 4 - Enhancements for the full descriptions of each level and several examples of each. There's like 4 pages to explain how to properly price Cosmic and examples.

Out of those, the cumulative penalty was not a minor restriction, so it wasn't the first level, and I didn't think removing it was completely unfair or godlike, so it wasn't the last level. The cumulative penalty, to me, sounded more like a game-balance issue, so I thought it fit nicely at the +100% level.

And when that matched and had the same effect as two levels of Decreased Immunity, it pretty much settled it for me... although as previously posted I ultimately went with Decreased Immunity instead of Cosmic.
Yo. What he said. Almost my exact thought process a year ago. Nice to know I'm not mad...well not that mad, anyways.

Become a Patron!
Old 10-17-2013, 09:55 PM   #27
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arz View Post
About the progressive line samples I don’t understand coz in both you could make a jump of -1 for each “reuse” in same instance of power in first sample and another progressive -1 stack (second sample), instead of the normal -3 (english is not my main language and i can misunderstand somethings sometimes unknowingly :\) .
You are correct, I misremembered the rule as being -1 per aditional heal per target per day, not -3.

So I think the correct values of the first version would be:
+5
+2

Whereas for the 2nd verison it would be
+0
+0
+0
+0
+0

With these corrected modifiers, it's no longer particularly clear to me that the Alternate Ability stack-of-X (e.g. 5) isn't abusive.

Sorry for messing it up.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:11 PM   #28
Refplace

+100% Cosmic no roll required on Healing is RAW.
I kind of like the Decreased and Increased Immunity suggestion but thought I would chime in on the Cosmic debate.
See GURPS Powers: Divine Favor "Lay on Hands" p11 for my source.
He handles it nicely as for figuring the max as well. Its IQ/3 per person per day as the cap.

Reduced FP cost and Reliable are also RAW, see the enhanced version on p15 same book. Pretty sure I have seen reliable used elsewhere as well. I know I have used it in games.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:57 PM   #29
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
+100% Cosmic no roll required on Healing is RAW.
I kind of like the Decreased and Increased Immunity suggestion but thought I would chime in on the Cosmic debate.
See GURPS Powers: Divine Favor "Lay on Hands" p11 for my source.
He handles it nicely as for figuring the max as well. Its IQ/3 per person per day as the cap.
Yes, of course it is, but that has nothing to do with removing the penalty. The penalty is where the IQ/3 cap comes from: when you've used it IQ/3 times, your penalized IQ roll would be less than 3 and therefor you can't use the ability.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:02 AM   #30
Refplace

Quote:
Yes, of course it is, but that has nothing to do with removing the penalty. The penalty is where the IQ/3 cap comes from: when you've used it IQ/3 times, your penalized IQ roll would be less than 3 and therefor you can't use the ability.
I meant the IQ/3 is a simple and less book keeping way of handling no roll required. Compared to actually doing the math each time anyhow.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote