Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-25-2019, 02:16 PM   #11
David Johnston2

Default Re: How often does Aura hit an attacker?

Once per subjective second for the person being attacked.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 02:22 PM   #12
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Once per subjective second for the person being attacked.
I'd say once per subjective second for the aura owner.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:44 PM   #13
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I'd say once per subjective second for the aura owner.
A distinction that only matters if it's an afflicted aura.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 04:42 PM   #14
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
A distinction that only matters if it's an afflicted aura.
Incorrect. Aura applies when you strike, as well as when you are struck.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:11 PM   #15
Yako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Fort the sake of game balance, Aura shouldn't damage anyone more than once per turn. Otherwise, you'll get silly results in close combat. Measure "turn" from start to start: From when I start this turn until I start my next turn, a given Aura can hurt me only once, no matter what me and the person with the Aura do, either during the active part of my turn or during everything that happens afterward.

Aura (+80%) + Melee Attack (-30%) is worth +50% because it could affect all the attackers around you if they foolishly decided to swarm you in close combat. We eyeballed that as being approximately equal to Area Effect, 2 yards, +50%, which always affects an area of similar size to "my hex and all the hexes around me." The upsides "discourages attackers" and "requires no action" and the downsides "specific trigger condition" and "has no range" looked like a wash. If you start adding what amounts to Rapid Fire to it, it soon gets out of whack . . . if you really want that, buy Rapid Fire and say the Aura can affect each person up to RoF times. For instance, Aura (+80%) + Melee Attack (-30%) + Rapid Fire, RoF 3 (+50%) would cost +100% and be able to affect a given enemy up to three times (say, once for you punching him and twice when he punches you twice).
Thanks for the answer, that definitely helped a lot for clarification.

Regarding the issue of follow up, I would likely see it as fair to give a player character - a monster does not really need it after all - an 1/5 discount for buying the follow up on top of the aura if both of them have the same damage etc.
That should be fair if one wants "every time I strike you and once per second if you touch me".

The rapid fire thing I feel a bit iffy about, but mostly because I think rapid fire as an enhancement is just way too cheap, but then again, it is much less of an issue here than in its usual application.

Custom Cardboard Miniatures
Yako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 10:16 AM   #16
Plane

Quote:
Aura (+80%) + Melee Attack (-30%) is worth +50% because it could affect all the attackers around you if they foolishly decided to swarm you in close combat. We eyeballed that as being approximately equal to Area Effect, 2 yards, +50%, which always affects an area of similar size to "my hex and all the hexes around me."
Now I'm suddenly wondering how Emanation works with multi-hex creatures, if that increases the total area if it's counted out from the outer hex or the center hex, in which case some massive creature might have an emanation that doesn't even affect things attacking its outermost reaches.

Quote:
The upsides "discourages attackers" and "requires no action" and the downsides "specific trigger condition" and "has no range" looked like a wash.
"Has no range" is I think Emanation -20% and Reflexive is +40% but guessing that would cost more since it's normally not allowed on attacks (cosmic?)

Given this comparison to AE, if someone wanted a more randomized Aura (sometimes it hits things you contact, other times it doesn't) would it be okay to take the Bombardment limitation on it to incorporate a roll to hit?

Quote:
If you start adding what amounts to Rapid Fire to it, it soon gets out of whack . . . if you really want that, buy Rapid Fire and say the Aura can affect each person up to RoF times. For instance, Aura (+80%) + Melee Attack (-30%) + Rapid Fire, RoF 3 (+50%) would cost +100% and be able to affect a given enemy up to three times (say, once for you punching him and twice when he punches you twice).
If the above is allowed, would it be okay to allow multiple hits based on the margin of success in a Bombardment roll?

Last edited by Plane; 04-27-2019 at 10:21 AM.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aura, close combat, unarmed combat