Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-25-2019, 05:43 PM   #11
Dalin

Default Re: Trolls [Fantasy]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
So, how do you do trolls in your games? Are they a reflection of Norse trolls? Are they a reflection of Scandinavian trolls? Are they similar to Tolkien trolls? Are they similar to D&D trolls? Are they something entirely different, like Discworld trolls?
I haven't used many trolls in my games, but the ones that I have used were influenced by my early D&D days: regenerating death machines with long noses.

Come to think of it, though, in games with younger children, I've used Trolls of the "Three Billygoats Gruff" variety. Big monsters under bridges (or near other important portals) who need to be outsmarted rather than killed.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:59 PM   #12
Sorenant

Not my game but apparently* in GURPS Lunal Trolls are beautiful ubermensch with a very evil heart. I wonder why they decided to use the name "Troll" for them.

*I only know from what I've read on the wiki and some internet pages because I don't have the books. I hear Lunal, Yuel, Sorcery Knight Academy and Hyakki Yakou are pretty nice settings for GURPS, is there no possibility SJG could make it available for western audience?
Sorenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 10:21 AM   #13
Black Leviathan

I learned about trolls from the Billie Goats Gruff and further filled in the idea of them from D&D. I like the misshapen semi-sentient monsters about twice the size of a man with long arms, vulnerable to fire and not much else. I've given them strange folklore in some games like you can trap one by making it look at it's reflection effectively mentally-stunning an idiot. I've made them phobic of cats.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:17 AM   #14
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

My primary inspirations are Tolkien and bridge trolls. They got to me first. If you made me pick a difference between my ogres and my trolls I'd have to admit there is not much of one, but I'd be able to say the following:
  • Trolls are tough and then strong, while ogres are strong and then tough
  • Trolls are much more likely to live underground or in holes
  • Ogres are likely to have worse posture, while trolls are more likely to have odd colors
  • Trolls are more likely to be associated with goblins or orcs. They're also more likely to be found in groups with each other, while ogres are loners.
  • Ogres are more likely to lead a group of minions
I'm not quite sure how I built this mental list, but there it is.

Of course, I often build the monster first and then go hunting for a name. I've got one setting where trolls are very much regenerating animalistic monsters whose regeneration relies on body temperature (but is more complicated than just "fire"). I had them mostly built before I thought "Oh wow, these are essentially trolls"!

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:55 PM   #15
Flyndaran
Untagged

As a very loose rule, I tend to think of ogres as monstrous humans, and trolls as monstrous ogres.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:10 PM   #16
Verjigorm

Location: Charlotte, North Caroline, United States of America, Earth?

I've tended to fall more upon the Warhammer Fantasy style of trolls and Ogres.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:24 PM   #17
EltonRobb

In my fantasy world system, I relied on using the world of warcraft style of trolls.
EltonRobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:19 PM   #18
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
So, how do you do trolls in your games? Are they a reflection of Norse trolls? Are they a reflection of Scandinavian trolls? Are they similar to Tolkien trolls? Are they similar to D&D trolls? Are they something entirely different, like Discworld trolls?
Current 'Fantasy' Setting:
A Troll would be a natural creature with natural powers; tall, broad, heavy, horned and tusked, long pale hair, dark eyes, gray skin; comprised of avuncular raiding clans, with a preference for coasts, mountains, caves, stone ships that travel sea and sky, dark cloth and colorful leathers. Known for their metalwork, multi-tonal voices and extended longevity; madness runs in their blood. Slave-takers and slave-keepers. Relatively few in number.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote