Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-25-2015, 02:26 AM   #1
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Yet another mindshare build (please help)

Greetings, all!

My GM has some neat ideas, but they're hard to game-system-ise even for me. There's a race where a single person is normally made of 7 or more individuals. A single individual can result in an IQ8 personality, but it's like being a cripple; they form packs of at least 7, which increases IQ by 1 (to 9); each further ×7 increase in number grants +1 IQ. They gradually exchange things like skills, at something like ×4 the normal teaching rate. If a single individual within a pack dies, the pack still retains the personality etc., and seeks to replace the lost individual. It's only when pack size goes below 7 that things get nasty mentally (IQ loss). Edit: getting it down to 3 causes an equivalent of a death check for the pack-person, while 2 is guaranteed loss of the pack-person (but individual Wyverns survive).

I've seen Kromm offer this for a similar but non-identical question, and it seems to provide a good starting point, but not a complete answer. Individuals are generally considered identical, so Ally Group rules apply, and that means ×6 cost for 6-10 allies (plus the one that comes for free).

Specific difficulties:
NPCs don't pay points for Allies, but the point is that whichever one of the 7 to 11 is killed, the PC is de facto still alive, and the player can continue playing - and pack members can be gradually replenished by picking up youngsters or stray ones. In essence, the PC is the pack, and that makes issues of buying Allies difficult.

Anyone got any useful insights? Or maybe just insight-generating questions?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by vicky_molokh; 02-25-2015 at 05:25 AM.
vicky_molokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:38 AM   #2
Gold & Appel Inc

Default Re: Yet another mindshare build (please help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Greetings, all!
Hey!

Quote:
[snip] NPCs don't pay points for Allies, but the point is that whichever one of the 7 to 11 is killed, the PC is de facto still alive, and the player can continue playing - and pack members can be gradually replenished by picking up youngsters or stray ones. In essence, the PC is the pack, and that makes issues of buying Allies difficult.
Buying Allies isn't an issue at all after you do it initially, as long as you don't betray them (which is sort of impossible in this case, so it definitely calls for the Minion Enhancement) - the RAW allows Allies lost to normal circumstances to be replaced for free as soon as it's feasible IC, whatever that means.

Quote:
[snip] Anyone got any useful insights? Or maybe just insight-generating questions?
Thanks in advance!
This is really powerful, in a kind of subtle way: like Satyricon in Worm, the survival of the PC can be almost-ensured by simple isolation of a single body from likely hazards. I'd give it the same treatment I did in that thread, with Unkillable x2 (because the last body/bodies could theoretically be located and securely confined to disable the PC) (Access: At Least One Living Body -60%), and then some kind of Nuisance Effect for the temporary IQ loss whose value depends on how smart they normally are, how dumb they can get, how hard it is to replace bodies, etc.

Last edited by Gold & Appel Inc; 02-25-2015 at 04:45 AM.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:28 AM   #3
Wavefunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
This is really powerful, in a kind of subtle way: like Satyricon in Worm, the survival of the PC can be almost-ensured by simple isolation of a single body from likely hazards. I'd give it the same treatment I did in that thread, with Unkillable x2 (because the last body/bodies could theoretically be located and securely confined to disable the PC) (Access: At Least One Living Body -60%), and then some kind of Nuisance Effect for the temporary IQ loss whose value depends on how smart they normally are, how dumb they can get, how hard it is to replace bodies, etc.
That's one way of doing it. An alternative would be Possession (Emergencies Only, -30%; Puppet Only, -30%; Reflexive, +40%; Unconscious Only, -20%; Uncontrollable, -10%) [50] + Puppet Group [10], so the PC changes to a new body every time the old one is targeted, I know the mind is distributed, but this seems a fair approximation. As for IQ, include a racial -2 in the template, then allow the PC to buy IQ+1 (Only with Ally Group alive, -10%).
Wavefunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:28 AM   #4
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavefunction View Post
That's one way of doing it. An alternative would be Possession (Emergencies Only, -30%; Puppet Only, -30%; Reflexive, +40%; Unconscious Only, -20%; Uncontrollable, -10%) [50] + Puppet Group [10], so the PC changes to a new body every time the old one is targeted [snip]
Like it. Similar effect with a different flavor. This is why GURPS is fantastic.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:44 AM   #5
nerdvana

Have you considered working off of Horde Intelligence from Limitations?

BTW, this sounds reminiscent to Vernor Vinge's Tines from Fire Upon the Deep. I'm curious if this was independent or inspired by that book...

Last edited by nerdvana; 02-25-2015 at 10:59 AM. Reason: added BTW note (in gray)
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:17 AM   #6
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdvana View Post
Have you considered working off of Horde Intelligence from Limitations?
It doesn't fit, because the swarm can communicate up to 50-200 yards apart and stay at the adjusted IQ.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:26 AM   #7
nerdvana

Quote:
It doesn't fit, because the swarm can communicate up to 50-200 yards apart and stay at the adjusted IQ.
I wonder if extended range with horde intelligence wouldn't fix that up...
Old 02-25-2015, 12:07 PM   #8
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdvana View Post
I wonder if extended range with horde intelligence wouldn't fix that up...
If not, you can add Reduced Range to Mindlink.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 01:45 PM   #9
nerdvana

I remembered an older thread about the aliens I mentioned. It is here and may be helpful...
Old 02-25-2015, 04:52 PM   #10
nerdvana

Ghostdancer will be taking a stab at this also (at my suggestion). He'll address it on his blog and post about it in his blog post thread as seen here.

Tags
hive mind, mindshare