Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-07-2013, 06:57 AM   #1
joppeknol

Default [Banestorm] Where do the ogres and minotaurs live?

A thing crossed my mind recently. I'm not sure how many individuals you need to maintain a genetically healthy population, but I would guess at least a few hundred, who need frequent access to each-other.

Ogres and minotaurs are big, and in general are supposed to be individualistic (if they're not, they would probably be hunted down by nearby humans, goblins, or elves. They supposedly don't have agriculture so that each individual needs a large territory to survive.

So, where in ytarria do the Ogres and Minotaurs live? It should be large enough so that a a few hundred of them can meet, but it should be somewhere where there is no competition from elven, orcish, or human villages.
joppeknol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #2
jacobmuller

Default Re: [Banestorm] Where do the ogres and minotaurs live?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joppeknol View Post
A thing crossed my mind recently. I'm not sure how many individuals you need to maintain a genetically healthy population, but I would guess at least a few hundred, who need frequent access to each-other.

Ogres and minotaurs are big, and in general are supposed to be individualistic (if they're not, they would probably be hunted down by nearby humans, goblins, or elves. They supposedly don't have agriculture so that each individual needs a large territory to survive.

So, where in ytarria do the Ogres and Minotaurs live? It should be large enough so that a a few hundred of them can meet, but it should be somewhere where there is no competition from elven, orcish, or human villages.
Healthy pop: I always remember hearing it was on the order of 5,000...
But then again how many tigers are there. Females hold a hunt ground; males roam.
There may not be a homeland, just a danger zone: thar be ogres yonder?
Edit: got home and read the book. It kinda tells you where...

Last edited by jacobmuller; 05-07-2013 at 03:06 PM.
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:51 PM   #3
Tuk the Weekah

Quote:
Originally Posted by joppeknol View Post

Most ogres live with orc tribes [Banestorm, pg.20]; minotaurs live in forest or steppe ranges, mostly solitary [pg.19].
Tuk the Weekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:31 PM   #4
joppeknol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuk the Weekah View Post
Most ogres live with orc tribes [Banestorm, pg.20]; minotaurs live in forest or steppe ranges, mostly solitary [pg.19].
Ah, I read the description about the races where ogres were just solitary wanderers. Ok, Ogres normally just live near orcs. Still leaves the minotaurs.. which steppe and forest ranges? It should be a large area without much population. The northlands?
joppeknol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:05 AM   #5
Z09SS

With magic being real and everywhere, the genetic rules about inbreeding might not apply to some races and species.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:31 AM   #6
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z09SS View Post
With magic being real and everywhere, the genetic rules about inbreeding might not apply to some races and species.
They don't even apply to all species here... all domestic golden hamsters are the descendants of a handful of individuals.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:28 AM   #7
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
They don't even apply to all species here... all domestic golden hamsters are the descendants of a handful of individuals.
And don't even think about plants!
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:30 AM   #8
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z09SS View Post
In Banestorm, humans are proven compatible with elves and orcs while orcs are proven compatible with humans and ogres. Gorgons are compatible with all three of human, elf, and orc.

So far all the other combinations seem to be infertile, but maybe they just aren't trying enough?
Old 05-08-2013, 03:39 AM   #9
Anders

So it's a ring species with elves and ogres at the ends?
Old 05-08-2013, 03:47 AM   #10
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
So it's a ring species with elves and ogres at the ends?
Except ... the only native sapients are Elves and Orcs. Humans and everything else aren't from Yrth. That's a really complicated ring species given that it spans multiple realities without any form of contact between them until the Elves went 'oops!' trying to get rid of the Orcs.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
banestorm, ogre, yrth