Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 05-20-2019, 06:56 PM   #1
EltonRobb

Default One Thousand and One Campaign Seeds

Okay, this thread is to take your mind off why GURPS isn't as popular as D&D and start working up some campaign ideas for any game system. GURPS, The One Ring, D&D, Dungeon Fantasy, et cetera, et cetera.

Any genre is allowed. Oh, and try to be original. I'll start:

1. Game: GURPS. The Atlantean Age, Ultra Tech adventurers meet with the neolithic farmers of the Fertile Crescent.
EltonRobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:39 AM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: One Thousand and One Campaign Seeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by EltonRobb View Post
1. Game: GURPS. The Atlantean Age, Ultra Tech adventurers meet with the neolithic farmers of the Fertile Crescent.
Ok, but what do they do? What's the conflict? Which side are the PC's on? just what tech level and tech setting (Safetech, superscience, cyberpunk)? Is this meant as a sandbox setting?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:04 AM   #3
Brandy

If I ran a D&D game, I'm pretty sure I know what it would look like. Back in the day, there was a series of seven old-school modules that were for fairly robust characters as I recall. The first three were a series of unimpregnable-fortress-impregnated missions against strongholds of Hill, Frost, and Fire Giants respectively. The next three were a kind of road-movie through a series of underground adventure areas to reach the underworld stronghold of the Drow, the Underdark. The final one, was a multi-plane adventure culminating in a boss battle with a goddess of the Drow.

Greyhawk Overdark. I'd build a campaign based on all those events happening, but in the final fight, the heroes of the prior age lose in the final fight, and the goddess, Lolth, exacts revenge on the overworld, casting the western half of the big continent on the greyhawk map into an eternal night shrouded by mist and smoke. The heroes would be brand new adventurers, ready to find out what happened, grow in strength, and eventually bring back the light.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:04 PM   #4
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandy View Post
If I ran a D&D game, I'm pretty sure I know what it would look like. Back in the day, there was a series of seven old-school modules that were for fairly robust characters as I recall. The first three were a series of unimpregnable-fortress-impregnated missions against strongholds of Hill, Frost, and Fire Giants respectively. The next three were a kind of road-movie through a series of underground adventure areas to reach the underworld stronghold of the Drow, the Underdark. The final one, was a multi-plane adventure culminating in a boss battle with a goddess of the Drow.
G-series
D-series
Q1 module (There was no Q2 or higher).

For AD&D1E, it was originally 7 separate, but there was also a consolidated G-1-2-3, and a consolidated D-1-2
A later consolidation, "Queen of the Spiders" came out as a reprint.
First full-length commercial campaign I was ever involved in.
Probably the best one ever released for D&D.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:27 AM   #5
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandy View Post

Greyhawk Overdark. I'd build a campaign based on all those events happening, but in the final fight, the heroes of the prior age lose in the final fight, and the goddess, Lolth, exacts revenge on the overworld, casting the western half of the big continent on the greyhawk map into an eternal night shrouded by mist and smoke. The heroes would be brand new adventurers, ready to find out what happened, grow in strength, and eventually bring back the light.
Allegedly it was possibly to daisy chain their series modules together so that you could start with the T (Temple of Elemental Evil) modules (levels 1-8), move through the A (Slave Lords) modules (7-11) and then roll on to face the GDQ series as above (8-14). I'm not sure anyone ever did.

Would take "some" work to make this run with modern D&D as the old AD&D was a lot stingier with treasure and level progression, certainly compared to a Paizo style "adventure path" like Shackled City or Savage Tides. Also the A series contains a massive railroad that a lot of modern players would use as an excuse to make you eat your screen...

But yeah, if you're prepared to put the work in there's some cool stuff to be made from the old modules.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:47 AM   #6
Brandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
G-series
D-series
Q1 module (There was no Q2 or higher).

For AD&D1E, it was originally 7 separate
Those were the ones I had.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:50 AM   #7
Brandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Would take "some" work to make this run with modern D&D...

But yeah, if you're prepared to put the work in there's some cool stuff to be made from the old modules.
To make sure I was clear, I'm not talking about running those modules. I'm talking about adventuring in a Greyhawk where the great heroes of the day attempted that series and lost, with horrible consequences. Kind of a crapsack Greyhawk in a way.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:36 AM   #8
martinl

Fimbulvinter: This is trad fantasy in your system of choice, but all the PCs are ice weasel adventurers working for the Ice Weasel Queen, trying to bring about a new age of ice.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:40 AM   #9
martinl

Worlds War II: the Martians from War of the Worlds are back for another go round in the mid 30s. They have better biosafety protocols now, and are better at working through human patsies and bioengineered Earthly Warbeasts.

Starts out as Dieselpunk X-Com and segues into alt-WWII with a fourth side (Axis, Allies, Comintern, and Martians).
Old 05-26-2019, 07:14 PM   #10
martinl

Cows with Guns: Basically Bunnies and Burrows or Chicken Run, but the PCs are milch cows. Fight for Bovine Freedom!