Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 01-22-2012, 08:52 AM   #11
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Rules Discrepancy - Divine Intervention Card

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese8242 View Post
The thing is Munchkin doesn't have a "stack" mechanic.
Let me expand upon that: The stack mechanism is not a natural application of real time cause-and-effect, so games that use it actually have to define what a stack is and how it works with respect to that game. Munchkin doesn't provide such rules, so no stack mechanism should be inferred by those who are familiar with such a mechanism.

In fact, in Munchkin, cards that do cancel another card are rare, and specifically say that they can cancel another card that was just played.
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 02-01-2012 at 04:29 AM.
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #12
natesroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Cloman View Post
That won't work in Munchkin. He can only dig through a discard if a card allows him to do so, and the effect of that card must be resolved before any other card can be played (with a small number of exceptions such as Annihilation). So if he's digging through the discard pile, it's too late to stop him from pulling and playing Divine Intervention.
Is that correct? I would think that if he is still digging through the deck any card played before he finds the card he wants could be played... an immediate curse before he has even played or found divine intervention seems like it would work.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:11 PM   #13
RL

EDIT: Ignore this post, it's wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natesroom View Post
Is that correct?
Let's see if I can make it clear.

1) You can't just dig through the discards -- you must have played a card or used an ability that allows you to go through the discards.

2) That card/ability must be resolved before anything else can happen.

3) If the card retrieved from the discard pile is Divine Intervention, it is played immediately, before anything else can happen.

4) Thus, if a Cleric begins going through the discard pile to retrieve Divine Intervention, it's too late to stop him from going up a level (with the exception of cards that take effect retroactively, like Annihilation).

Last edited by RL; 01-23-2012 at 06:17 AM.
RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:40 PM   #14
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Cloman View Post
2) That card/ability must be resolved before anything else can happen.
The card is resolved as soon as the player begins searching the discards -- you do not have to wait for him to finish searching to play other cards. (Also note that I've previously ruled that use of the Wand of Dowsing or similar cards cannot be used to forestall the end of combat -- you can't use it to bring the game to a screeching halt for your fishing expedition.)

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:24 PM   #15
RL

Okay. I stand corrected.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:59 PM   #16
andrewcornett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
If you want to make him lose his Class, play the card before he finishes going through the discard piles.

Everyone should reread Andrew's post more carefully. As soon as a player starts digging through the discard pile and before he finds DI you can change his class.
andrewcornett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:05 AM   #17
natesroom

I see the issue clearly now..

The wand of Dowsing is resolved once they start digging as Andrew said... The Divine Intervention issue is that cards particular issue
Old 08-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #18
Jawshco

I apologize if this question has already been answered, but if a Cleric "Loots the Room" and gets the Divine Intervention card, are they able to keep that card in their hand until they get to the 9th level and immediately win the game with it? I was thinking that even when looting the room that Up a Level cards immediately applied, and holding DI until the end would be cheating. However, a friend of mine claimed victory by using that method. Who is correct in this case?
Jawshco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:45 PM   #19
Clipper

No. The card says, "You must play this card as soon as you get it." You cannot ever keep it in your hand.

Go Up a Level cards can be kept in your hand, though (Divine Intervention is not a GUAL). You can play them whenever you want, provided the person you play them on is Level 8 or below.

Last edited by Clipper; 08-14-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:26 PM   #20
Jawshco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
No. The card says, "You must play this card as soon as you get it." You cannot ever keep it in your hand.

Go Up a Level cards can be kept in your hand, though (Divine Intervention is not a GUAL). You can play them whenever you want, provided the person you play them on is Level 8 or below.
I knew it! B-rad (the guy who won the game with that cheating strategy) believes it's not cheating if he doesn't get caught or can get me too confused to overrule him. So as the game owner, I'm officially revoking his victory! LOL!
Jawshco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
change class, divine intervention, endgame, rules, wand of dowsing